Topaz Video AI v3.0.6

little off topic. Does anyone remember that you tube guy that did all those crazy deep space 9 and other videos with topaz? I think him name started with a K. It seems he ghosted youtube or went private and i wanted to him to see if anyone has any newer guides on how to get the best quality from videos.

With that being the case, you might as well output png or tif, then encode with Selur Hybrid (or whatever your encoder of choice is).

1 Like

Can someone kindly assist me with the question I asked? Please? I really would appreciate it!

I would suggest looking into Neat Video as it is the best video noise remover with extensive capabilities in all manner of noise removal. It comes as a plug in to most NLEs. I now use it for most all of my noise removal before going into TVAI.

I disagree with a lot of what you said. Digital video formats and their containers are the most convoluted and complex files in existence. The idea seems easy, show pictures in sequence fast enough to fool the brain, but the history of television and the means of recording it, complicates it even more. Their choice to use ffmpeg, gained them the decades of dealing with digital videos that cannot be gained any other way. It would take them decades to get to the same level. And even with that, there is no end to the requests on this forum about supporting more formats and features. (I only use Bink format because it’s free, why doesn’t TVAI support that? Then someone else pipes in about it not supporting some format that only gets produced by some ultra expensive video software.)

You probably got it backwards. It’s usually management that forces per-mature releases. I think they know by now what the consequences of that are for them.

AI is one of the most intense processing things one can do on a computer. Videos are some of the largest files. Combine AI with videos and you get hefty hardware requirements. Until the M1 chip, laptops have not been made with AI processing in mind. Maybe if you bought a top of the line gaming laptop, it would swallow it. The mobile GTX 1650 was the bottom of the stack when it came out. The ti variant, just one step above that. It should not be surprising that a light hardware equipped laptop couldn’t handle the stress. Even if it could, it would have to be left for weeks to process one movie.

I think the one thing Topaz could have done better with TVAI is stressed and made very plane that you also get VEAI. Several people on these forums have stated that TVAI was not worth the money they spent on it. I have yet to see someone say the same thing about VEAI. (Minus before the release of TVAI. There were regular posts about how it didn’t work with a particular video or it didn’t support this or that. [It was probably all those posts that lead them to create TVAI in the first place.])

This results are really strange… :unamused:

The real question for me is what was LTT running as a benchmark? His Topaz slide does not show enough information IMO and it should show lower tier cards which it doesn’t. The lowest is a 4080. I would love to have a copy of the video and the preset used for the benchmark. What version of AI was he running as so many have come out in the last month if you include betas? What hardware was the test setup? I must have missed it.

2 Likes

why can not login? Apple M1 Max mbp

Question is, can you install VEAI 2.6.4 next to TVAI 3.0.6?

1 Like

yes you can

2 Likes

See. They should have that explained all over the place—So that after installing TVAI 3, the user knows that they have the option to also install VEAI 2 and they know where to get it and why they might want it.

1 Like

Not Really.

7900 XTX has 122.8 TFLOPS FP16,
4090 has 83 Tflop fp16.

No wonders here.

So even if the TI comes out, its still slower than 7900 XTX by 22% in rough performance.

3 Likes

I am using a VapourSynth setup (Windoze), with a pipe to x265. I had found a ffmpeg way of processing png files, like -i %06d.png to the parameters, but I can’t have my cookie and eat it, as I also need the -i for something like -f vapoursynth -i “f:\jobs\test.vpy”. Will take a bit of sorting out. :slight_smile:

See, what I don’t get, is that my CPU (i9 12900k) is already at near full load, keeping my graphics card (RTX 3080 Ti) busy for like only 20%. My point being, what would a faster card do, when the CPU is already at capacity? (Aka, cannot process the GPU data faster)

What software do you use to monitor the load of the gpu.

update:

Here is the comparison between MSI Afterburner and Taskmanager for the workload detection.

The task manager does not even show half of the half although the GPU is fully loaded.

i did post this whyle the 3.0.5 beta.

The taskmanager did readout every time the gpu was at idle load between the frames.

But you need to set the afterburner to 100ms readout.

4 Likes

I normally use the Task Manager; GPU-Z gives yields slightly higher values, with peaks to 86%, but not sustained.

This is normal, the video is always copied to the gpu in single frames and the GPU needs less than half a second to process the image.
GPUZ also does not read out fast enough to show the peaks.

Thats why you don’t see any grow in performance with a new gpu.

1 Like

Makes sense. Next time, I will try afterburner.

N.B. They changed the forum layout right from under me, while I was typing. :crazy_face: Like the upgrade to TVAI, it’s no improvement (like I can no longer click on :heart: to see who liked something).

I’ll be very curious to know if the team is working on ways the software can accelerate using the new features in the RTX 4000 series. Got the 4080 and it’s not impressing at this point even though I know it’s powerful in theory.

For example, what is Video AI take on using CUDA? What about Tensor Cores (now using a new more efficient architecture)? Or the new DLSS 3?
Each of these would have practical implications that can speed up processing but is the team actively looking at developing features that can be accelerated with this hardware? Are we only seeing improvement with memory speed / Ghz or are we taking advantage (or working towards that) of those specific technologies?

I’m pretty sure the ‘prob-3’ is just referring to Proteus model. (not sure on the letter ‘b’)
For instance, Gaia - High Quality (HQ) model will print out: ‘ghq5’ or similar.

2 Likes