Topaz Video AI v3.0.5

ProRes is Apple proprietary codec, not supported by Windows. Back a few years ago, it could be run on Windows computers by installing a paid for version of Apple QuickTime Player. Not sure if you can still do that tho.

1 Like

My Sony Oled fails also on them .mov. Win 10 can handle Vp9 though from this Topaz version but the Sony not. The very nice h265 can be run on Sony from start.

Crf 0 on 264 can make it fail on many players. crf 1 is better.

Wow!

This worked Great!

Got at:

… and a lot easier that the FFMpeg (Extract .srt) & VLC (Merge - so many steps!) that I was trying.

Only issue was that for some reason it didn’t show the sub of the original file in the tracks, chapters, tags box & I just added the SRT file that I extracted using
ffmpeg -i “Source Filename”.mp4 “Target Filename”.srt

I did use .mp4’s as input, & got an .mkv file as output, but can easily handle that.

Thanks!

Mike

Maybe the difference is that MAC version uses the ProRes encoder by Videotoolbox(4444 Support) and Win version uses the FFMPEG built-in prores_ks(4444 not support).
I don’t have a MAC, so I can’t be sure.

1 Like

I have Media Player Classic HC on my Windows machine and it has no issues playing ProRes.

2 Likes

It took some getting used to with the interface and some bug fixes in the pipeline, but now that it’s running at full steam, I just feel like sharing how impressed I am with how streamlined this app is! Source > Super resolution > Frame interpolation > Configured encoding all in the same pipeline!

1 Like

Issue 1
Resulting output files have wrong audio channel meta data.
No matter if use auto or copy for the audio, the resulting audio is always tagged english - even when the input is clearly tagged german.

Sidenote / Advice
To everyone complaining about GPU: Don’t use the task managers default GPU usage percentage. It often shows like 20% - use the nvidia geforce experience performance overlay or - in some cases it might work - go to the process details of the ffmpeg process (there the gpu usage is accurate on my Windows 11) (RTX 3090)

Hi Mike F,

I used MKVToolNix and it created/played great with subtitles on PC.

When I tried to play it via USB port to my older TV (Samsung 55inch 2003), it would not show the subtitles. :frowning:

I researched & found a trick that worked for older TV’s that had this problem.

You can name the .srt file the same as the movie, put in same directory as movie file on the USB and it’ll now show on older TV’s that might not display them.

But…

I then tried the VLC method of permanently embedding the subtitles into the movie file and it worked great on older TV without having to do the .srt file trick.

First time I ever used the tool you suggested, but I’m pretty sure I picked the correct options/files but it may be because I used .mp4 files and had to also drop in the .srt as an added file?

Like I said, the VLC embedding option seemed to be the cleanest/best for me although it required a lot of steps - in below link.

# How to merge subtitles with any video permanently (4 ways)

Hope this helps other newbies like me.

Mike

1 Like

It would be useful to have the destination file name showing in the output list. At the moment, when processing a batch of clips, all that shows is the resolution and frame rate, which are usually all the same. That way it would be easier to see which files have already been exported and which ones are left.

1 Like

You mean not installed by default? With After Effects with Windows I can output to multiple ProRes codecs, including ProRes 4444 (with the alpha channel). So Windows does support it (if the codecs are installed). I have installed the quicktime player but not the paid version. It was the official free version (I’m not sure if that’s needed to by After Effects or other software though like Topaz Video). Topaz Video also advertised that it would output ProRes 444 and I didn’t see “Mac only” in that advert, but it still doesn’t have an option to output that way in Windows.

Also the fact that the Windows version of Topaz Video has 2 versions of ProRes (422 LT and 422 HQ) that it allows output to also shows that Windows does support it (maybe those 2 are the same codec but with different bitrate settings etc.). Maybe they install the codec(s) for reading/writing to them when the Topaz Video software is installed (maybe if the codecs aren’t already installed).

I have the same download problem.
After the update processing a video is not possible.
Every time i get a failure while downloading the models.

• Error message from AI engine: download failed.

Something I’ve just come across: 2xUpscale, Settings left in Auto (on Proteus), the Preview is wildly different to the actual export (very soft in comparison).
If I go to manual settings, then the Preview and the Export are the same.

2 Likes

I hear you, AI upscaling is still in its infancy. It will take some years to get convincingly good and accepted as a high end product. For me. it’s just a hobby I like to ‘tinker’ with for fun. :wink: I also agree v3 was released way before it was ready and I understand the frustration. Personally, I run two different versions currently, old and new (2.3 because it was the last version with full control of the models and 3.0.5 just to experiment with the new features)

4 Likes

You can do it by editing the encoders.json file. Find the line for Prores 444/4 for Mac and adjust it to Windows following the same pattern as 422 for windows.
It works perfectly. Don’t know why Topaz keeps 444 for Mac only.

1 Like

What I’ve noticed so far, since I wanna help to make the Software better for you (satisfaction) of customers (and us) way better usability, here’s a summary without pics first:

Suggestions (divided by sections or UI element):

Input Box

• Switching View Mode
    It would be helpful to switch the view mode. I love the thumbnails that are we provided with.
    But being able to switch it to pure text lists (when putting in several or many videos in there would be helpful)

• Tool Tip
    When hovering an item in the input box list a tool tip to show the FULL file name would be very helpful.
    Because I didn’t figure out any possibility so far to see what the full file name (including the path would be)

• Deleting Files
    There’s no way to delete files using the UI. I will have to change to the explorer.
    I think that would be very helpful. If I just didn’t get it, please point that out. Maybe it’s possible and I just didn’t
    figure it out, yet. :slight_smile:

• The vertical bar between INPUT | OUTPUT
    IMHO it would be very helpful if the width could be adjusted. Like a split container. Or whatever UI Elements
    you may have used in your programming language. :slight_smile:

• Video Playing
    Is it intended to be only able to play the video without sound?

• Converting with Audio in Slowmotion
    Either it should be possible to Slow the Audio Down (like elastic audio) → Here I totally give it to you if you’d
    say: That’s not our domain, because it may be a whole different development stream as well. But what
    about the ability to switch the video off then? Or remove it from the result?

• Context Menu in INPUT section
    It would be very helpful to have some more options like copy the full qualified file path to the clipboard.

• Conversion
    Sometimes I forget to set a special conversion, i.e. like setting it to AS IS.
    In this case the conversion wouldn’t need to do anything. But it does it anyway. Way?
    The only usage I see in this to do is if the encoded will create a different file than before.

• Converting Videos
    Sometimes there are just some parts that are bad.
    Or… It may be the trailer is good, the end as well. But without the trailer and the end sequence the video is not good and only these parts would need to be processed. So either it would be good to be able to give the user the opportunity to select this automatically (-> I would classify this as a “Nice To Have” feature).
    But selecting the parts of what to convert is a must. Would also save a lot of time. No problem if the user would have to select one or several parts manually.

Most likely bugs/issues:

• When a video is still being opened, then being processed and then closed, it may be still locked in the
    explorer. So I need tools or either close Topaz Video to be able to further process it or make a copy of it.

• Quality Preview in the UI and for real
    Here I am not sure if this really is an issue or I am doing something wrong:
    Often when converting very small videos the quality is perfect. At least in the UI.
    But then opening the result it may be very jerky, jittery or the perceived playing velocity appears inconsistent.

Those next few points may also be out of your scope from what it is you’re deciding to accomplish but would be helpful a lot anyway:

• Compression
    Even if the video is about to turn out good or even great
    the files are becoming quite huge. How about being able to compress them?

• Slight adjustments
    What about being able to change contrast, gamma, luminosity, saturation, brightness or hue?
    Doesn’t have necessarily all if considered, but gamma or brightness would be interesting.

Could also be interesting (idea):

What about using the denoise/sharpening of the other plugins in your program? Maybe you’re already doing this anyway. I cannot know. So this question may be not appropriate. Sorry, if that’s the case.

P.S.: That’s what I’ve noticed for now so far if it’s helpful and/or I notice some things more, I’ll edit this answer if possible or add to this.

5 Likes

… and the time it took to upscale 7 seasons of Voyager 3 times, is about the same amount of time it took to get from version 1 to version 3. It was a ton of work to de-interlace, upscale and then do some post processing so I could put 6 channel Dolby sound and subtitles back into the video. At first glance, I was thrilled that version 3 would de-interlace, pass through the Dolby audio and keep subtitles, until I saw the horrid results. That doesn’t even include the doubled upscale time per video, from 6 hours to 12.

1 Like

Addendum. One crucial feature this app has yet to add is preventing sleep until task completion. This would not only improve productivity by ensuring the tasks complete, but it would make the process more power efficient by allowing the computer to sleep automatically instead of relying on a timer. Even better would be a “After Exports” option so the computer could sleep, shut down, sign out etc. even sooner.

2 Likes

I agree that this should be fixed, however, there are many better options than VideoAI to do format conversion.

not for AV1 gpu backed :slight_smile: with that one, i reduced my folder for tutorials by half in size without big quality sacrifice in one night (976 video files if i remember correctly, 3 minutes per each file - tutorials are usually static screen of software with is perfect for AV1 or 265 - but because av1 give a little bit better results…)

drop your fav software name, there is list of those i tried

• handbrake (include nighly) - still use it for other than AV1
  • Nmkoder
  • DaVinci and Olive
  • staxrip

I’m just a casual user of Topaz, but I noticed the huge impacts v3.0.0 had on performance. V3.0.5 is a huge shift in the right direction though. It’s A LOT more stable and less problematic so far. Thank y’all for the quick fixes!

CPU: 7300HQ
GPU: 1050 TI