Topaz Video AI v3.0.3

The fastest i’ve seen in the forum was a 4090 + 7950X

CPU is more important than GPU.

1 Like

Thanks, I will give Proteus a try then!

Thanks, on 2.6.4 it was the best when comparing all approaches. Of course 2.6.4 has the very convenient 4 window view so it would show the top 3 recommended ones. Alas not in 3.0.3, so since previewing is a bit more of a pain, I mistakenly decided to use the one that worked best on the older version for me. Excellent advise, will take to heart :slight_smile:

i just posted this to tell that 3.0.3 was working.

1 Like

Really?
Then hardware acceleration with TensorRTs is useless? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wouldn’t say that, but for the resolutions and bit depths we’re dealing with here, it’s not really taxing on the GPU, which spends most of its time waiting to be put to work.

1 Like

BUG REPORT FOR TVAI 3.0.3:

Exported videos that have been trimmed have 3 to 5 seconds of blank frames at the beginning. This is in Quicktime player on iMac i7 / RX6800XT. Previews, on the other hand, play fine from beginning to end. I have tested several different source videos with the same error.

Apologies, if this has been reported already.

2 Likes

For anyone interested, I tested the speed of Proteus 720p to 1080p upscale, exporting 3 different videos simultaneously. Getting a combined 6.3 frames/second. Exporting a single video, I get 3.5 frames/second.

Mac OS Big Sur on Intel i7, RX6800XT eGPU, 48GB RAM

1 Like

Tom,
To update my reply to you, I should report the performance on my system. I am running a RTX 3090 and outputting to ProRes 422HQ, (lossless) which uses my i7 and not the video card, 1080p renders at approximately 4.8-5.1 FPS. FYI:The input file is 926x280, ProRes 422HQ and a bit over 42GB in size. When encoding to Nvidia H265 Main,which runs on my RTX 3090 the same image and settings renders at almost exactly the same speed. - (I am more than a little surprised by this. I would expect the 3090 would be doing it faster; it was faster in previous versions of 3.x)

Interesting Factoid: Looking at the Corsair iCue dashboard while doing the encoding mentioned above, It appears that the 3090 is scarcely running at all. However, what this snapshot doesn’t show is that there are long pauses in the activity of the GPU where the temps go down so far that the fans stop.

I may reboot and retry after this job is done.

3 Likes

Yes, it is definitely running slower than I would have expected. (I have a RTX 4090). It seems this version doesn’t do much to take advantage of that card. I know NVIDIA has mentioned working with Topaz on utilizing it better in the future but maybe that is not on the table yet.

I have that blank frames issue with either Artemis or Apollo (can’t recall which) - and there was also a video glitch a few seconds into the clips I was doing. Both problems disappeared when I exported with no audio, and added it back later in Vegas Pro. h.264 Nvidia high (3060ti), mp4, Windows 10.

But yeah, it looks like a(nother) bug.

1 Like

Looks like I’m still able to use some form of frame interpolation with Apollo on these 50fps videos, so I’m just going to do them as is.

Gotta admit, as a lay person, I’ve been using the old version a lot more. The new one is just not capable of producing the same refined results I feel I get with 2.6.4. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Getting this error again:
-vsync is deprecated. Use -fps_mode
Passing a number to -vsync is deprecated, use a string argument as described in the manual.

Did a clean install and that fixed it last time, but not this time.

UPDATE: Changing the output path fixed it but it was more convenient with the same path as original file.

We should maybe have a breakout 4090 thread because I seem to be the only one reporting that I see 100% gpu utilization. Not all the time, but some settings are using the 4090 100%.

1 Like

I like the new topaz. however there is one thing that drives me crazy since version 3 came out. everytime i process a video, the time line always gets stuck every 1 second or so. I uploaded a clip to show the issue.

here: topaz processing makes the preview stuck. - YouTube

1 Like

I rebooted and restarted the same rendering job last evening. The main thing I observed is that the display seems to pause for a while and then appears to show a short playback at nearly actual film speed.

I think that it is possible that the AI is doing the enhancements in small clusters and then feeding the clustered results to the Nvidia. - I think this may be true in the case of the enhancement I was doing, due to the fact that in addition it resizing via Proteus, I also changed the framerate from 29.9x FPS to 23.97x FPS. - (I did that to change the framerate for Blu-Ray and 3D conversion.) I believe that the framerate showed on the export/preview screen is actually an average; which may mean that the Nvidia is actually rendering very fast, but is only being fed in small chunks with pauses between. - Perhaps , Proteus, is forcing an internal interpolation to change the famerate to a slower one.)

Despite this, the output was amazing! The first run I had over-sharpened and over-detailed a bit. The output was so sharp that the edges almost hurt my eyes! - For the second run I turned these settings down about two clicks.

@yazi.saradest The one thing that I noticed is that the date of the video output was not current. It was displayed as 01-21-2017. both in the file system and the Media Info. - Coincidentally, This is the exact time and date of the other files in the set, starting with the original (downloaded) MKV from the Archive.org website. It also had chapter information. - *These were originally bugs that were fixed back in beta, but now, they’re back! - I think someone must have re-inserted some old code back into this release.

Later today, I may reattempt the same rendering, omitting the framerate change and see if the performance is better.

3 Likes

Batch EXPORT not working for me in 3.0.3. I just updated from 2 to 3.0.3.

I import 10 videos, select all of them, choose preset, then right click the 10 input files and choose from the pop up menu “Export (10 videos).” Only the FIRST ONE exports and the others do not.

I tried the same thing by first creating previews. Then I highlight all the previews in the OUTPUT WINDOW and click the EXPORT button. Only ONE video exports. 100% repeatable.

However if I right-click each video in the INPUT window one at a time and select from the pop up contextual menu “EXPORT”, the video WILL export. I did this 10 times, right-clicking each video and selecting EXPORT, and All 10 videos then appear in the OUTPUT window and all will export.

The button however, the big Blue/Purple “EXPORT” button will only export one video from the batch no matter what I do.

2 Likes

Went to try this today with what I thought was a decent quality DVD. So far I can’t get Theia to reduce the noise at all. I’ll keep trying things with it. I seem to remember it being able to do that in 2.6.4.

1 Like

This is an addendum to my previous comments. It appears that the original MKV Media had chapter info embedded in it. So, the problem is now just confined to the wrong file date and the same wrong file date in the Exported media info.

Today I’ve decided to do the previous exercise from scratch. This time I was able to get the entire project done in two concise steps.

Step 1: Input video is Interlaced progressive. Resolved by setting Frame Interpolation to Chronos and Enhancement to Interlaced Progressive - Dione Robust. Export to H264 Nvidia High Bitrate 180 Audio Copy. (For some reason, attempting to export to ProRes format, caused external player to stutter badly,)

Step 2: Using previously export from step 1, change output Resolution to width 1920 (or whatever) cans FPS to desired number (In this case, from 29.97 to 23.976 FPS locks in interpolation. (I prefer Chronos.)
Enhancement is Proteus Relative with Revert Compression bumped up a bit. Recover detail at 3, sharpen at 1. Export to same format as before. The result is smooth, fluid, detailed and sharp, easy on the eyes too. (Your preference to add grain or not.)

Now I’m a Happy Camper.

:question:
Just two questions:

• 1: Why does ProRes cause stuttering playback in this release?
  • 2: Will there ever be a Nvidia-powered lossless codec available? We really need one. The only version that should ever be compressed ifs final output. (Until then, I recommend to stay with the highest bitrate…)