Topaz Video AI v3.0.3

Looks like I’m still able to use some form of frame interpolation with Apollo on these 50fps videos, so I’m just going to do them as is.

Gotta admit, as a lay person, I’ve been using the old version a lot more. The new one is just not capable of producing the same refined results I feel I get with 2.6.4. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Getting this error again:
-vsync is deprecated. Use -fps_mode
Passing a number to -vsync is deprecated, use a string argument as described in the manual.

Did a clean install and that fixed it last time, but not this time.

UPDATE: Changing the output path fixed it but it was more convenient with the same path as original file.

We should maybe have a breakout 4090 thread because I seem to be the only one reporting that I see 100% gpu utilization. Not all the time, but some settings are using the 4090 100%.

1 Like

I like the new topaz. however there is one thing that drives me crazy since version 3 came out. everytime i process a video, the time line always gets stuck every 1 second or so. I uploaded a clip to show the issue.

here: topaz processing makes the preview stuck. - YouTube

1 Like

I rebooted and restarted the same rendering job last evening. The main thing I observed is that the display seems to pause for a while and then appears to show a short playback at nearly actual film speed.

I think that it is possible that the AI is doing the enhancements in small clusters and then feeding the clustered results to the Nvidia. - I think this may be true in the case of the enhancement I was doing, due to the fact that in addition it resizing via Proteus, I also changed the framerate from 29.9x FPS to 23.97x FPS. - (I did that to change the framerate for Blu-Ray and 3D conversion.) I believe that the framerate showed on the export/preview screen is actually an average; which may mean that the Nvidia is actually rendering very fast, but is only being fed in small chunks with pauses between. - Perhaps , Proteus, is forcing an internal interpolation to change the famerate to a slower one.)

Despite this, the output was amazing! The first run I had over-sharpened and over-detailed a bit. The output was so sharp that the edges almost hurt my eyes! - For the second run I turned these settings down about two clicks.

@yazi.saradest The one thing that I noticed is that the date of the video output was not current. It was displayed as 01-21-2017. both in the file system and the Media Info. - Coincidentally, This is the exact time and date of the other files in the set, starting with the original (downloaded) MKV from the Archive.org website. It also had chapter information. - *These were originally bugs that were fixed back in beta, but now, they’re back! - I think someone must have re-inserted some old code back into this release.

Later today, I may reattempt the same rendering, omitting the framerate change and see if the performance is better.

3 Likes

Batch EXPORT not working for me in 3.0.3. I just updated from 2 to 3.0.3.

I import 10 videos, select all of them, choose preset, then right click the 10 input files and choose from the pop up menu “Export (10 videos).” Only the FIRST ONE exports and the others do not.

I tried the same thing by first creating previews. Then I highlight all the previews in the OUTPUT WINDOW and click the EXPORT button. Only ONE video exports. 100% repeatable.

However if I right-click each video in the INPUT window one at a time and select from the pop up contextual menu “EXPORT”, the video WILL export. I did this 10 times, right-clicking each video and selecting EXPORT, and All 10 videos then appear in the OUTPUT window and all will export.

The button however, the big Blue/Purple “EXPORT” button will only export one video from the batch no matter what I do.

2 Likes

Went to try this today with what I thought was a decent quality DVD. So far I can’t get Theia to reduce the noise at all. I’ll keep trying things with it. I seem to remember it being able to do that in 2.6.4.

1 Like

This is an addendum to my previous comments. It appears that the original MKV Media had chapter info embedded in it. So, the problem is now just confined to the wrong file date and the same wrong file date in the Exported media info.

Today I’ve decided to do the previous exercise from scratch. This time I was able to get the entire project done in two concise steps.

Step 1: Input video is Interlaced progressive. Resolved by setting Frame Interpolation to Chronos and Enhancement to Interlaced Progressive - Dione Robust. Export to H264 Nvidia High Bitrate 180 Audio Copy. (For some reason, attempting to export to ProRes format, caused external player to stutter badly,)

Step 2: Using previously export from step 1, change output Resolution to width 1920 (or whatever) cans FPS to desired number (In this case, from 29.97 to 23.976 FPS locks in interpolation. (I prefer Chronos.)
Enhancement is Proteus Relative with Revert Compression bumped up a bit. Recover detail at 3, sharpen at 1. Export to same format as before. The result is smooth, fluid, detailed and sharp, easy on the eyes too. (Your preference to add grain or not.)

Now I’m a Happy Camper.

:question:
Just two questions:

• 1: Why does ProRes cause stuttering playback in this release?
  • 2: Will there ever be a Nvidia-powered lossless codec available? We really need one. The only version that should ever be compressed ifs final output. (Until then, I recommend to stay with the highest bitrate…)

I’ve noticed a ‘copy settings’ option in the pop up box when clicking on a preview. I have no idea what to do next though. Any help would be appreciated :+1:

I’ve just figured it out. On my own! This is a first. :blush:

Is this interlaced video or progressive? It sounds like you have video at 50i and you want it de-interlaced to 25p.

1 Like

The person who converted the videos to MKV used handbrake to deinterlace the original video by doubling to 50fps. It is still 720x576.

However , I am hoping to use frame interpolation to give the video smoother playback without making the end result 100fps, and it actually looks like when I use Apollo set to None it is working anyway?

Here’s a weird one for you clever developer folks…

Mac Studio Ultra running Monterey 12.6.1 with 64GB RAM…

If I upscale from 960x720 50fps to 1280x720, with letterbox to fill in the black sides, it looks great using Artemis Medium with the two second previews but… looks totally pixellated and terrible on export!

However, if I use the same video that I re-exported using Handbrake to 25fps instead, but apart from that, exactly the same Topaz Video AI 3.0.3 settings as above… it looks bang on, really lovely in fact.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Major Pain!

Every time I update or change a preset, it resets my audio to default. If the audio on the input and TVAI don’t like each other it all crashes the preview or TVAI vanishes off the screen!

It would be very nice if the Presets didn’t mess with output settings.

2 Likes

TVAI does not have a inverse telecine function.
Film and animation made at 24p (23.976 fps) are telecine to 30i (29.971 fps) to conform to NTSC standards, however, the best picture quality is obtained by inverse telecine them to 24p.
Dione can deinterlace 30i to 30p or 60p, but in the above case, inverse telecine to 24p is optimal.
It is possible to perform inverse telecine with the basic functions of FFMPEG, so TVAI’s interlacing process should be added as an option.

1 Like

They often over-compress the video files on DVD. One thing that can help is use a utility that can convert the VOB files into a low-numbered CFR. The high the bit rate the lower the compression. Another method is to use strong denoising when enhancing and doing a minor resizing just big enough to give enhancement a little “room” to work.

That’s because some kinds of analysis/enhancement are being done in clusters of several frames. As each cluster is completed, the frames are put into the image file being rendered. - It should play smoothly after the file has been fully rendered. - If you’re rendering a long video, it can sometimes be like trying to watch grass grow.

1 Like

Same here, Version 3.0.2 did work fine, 3.0.3 is crashing as soon as preview would start.
On my machine, the problem seems to occur mainly when dealing with videos encoded in VC-1 (WVC1).

This may actually be an audio problem. I’ve had a few old clips that crashed TVAI because it couldn’t handle my sound setting. - My preferences are set to default to copy.

Try turning the audio to off and see if the video won’t preview or makes TVAI crash. Bad audio settings can also cause jerky playback in the external editor.

4 Likes