Topaz Video AI v3.0.2

you’re right. there isn’t any face recognition feature / model or whatever in any version of VEAI / Video Ai since the beginning. i don’t understand why since 2 days, people are talking about this, telling that it must be turned on or off, that’s it’s there and does a bad job etc (lol).

this feature is not available yet in this software, and has never been available before.

5 Likes

I think some people are confused… there is currently no “face refinement” or face recognition feature in VAI. There never has been.

In Gigapixel, the face refinement feature uses a separate model when it’s enabled. I would imagine in VAI that such a feature, if it’s ever implemented, would also use a separate model, and increase the processing time.

This has been a frequently requested feature in fact. I would much rather have a face refinement feature than the new interface or the stabilization model.

7 Likes

** resolved
Make sure your environment variable is correctly pointing to your models directory!
The directory path was different for the betas, so I just had to update mine.

The ffmpeg command line does not work since the official v3 launch. The CLI was previously somewhat functional during the betas. However, ever since a clean install of 3.0.0 - 3.0.2, the CLI is not functioning and throws the same error on both of my computers. The CLI was the only reason I bothered updating, so it looks like I’ll be using a beta release from now on for my CLI workflow. I haven’t seen anyone else mention this specific problem, so it might be an isolated case.

The CLI does not appear to create any logs, so here’s a screenshot of the error message.

Regardless of what combination of parameters I try, an error is always thrown. Even with only the -i and -filter_complex parameters specified (with an output file), the same error is thrown - same goes for ffmpeg commands directly copied from the GUI!!

1 Like

Just updated to the new version on my Mac Studio now it will no longer export any videos the Preset box is now grayed and i can not select any options, If i click on a video or try export or apple E nothing happens not sure what is going on but this update has destroyed it ?

1 Like

I recently upgraded to Topaz Video AI 3.X. Using a very similar set-up, I processed a file previously processed with the 2.6.4 version, but now also with the new slow motion feature. I have got several dotty glitches in the output. The file is not usable in this way. I am attaching two short excerpts. You can see the first dot on the left upside corner, then the right bottom side. I am attaching two short excerpts named after me.
kind regards,
Antonino Chiaramonte

1 Like

Every time I update to a new version (installing in the same directory) my Windows 10 Start Menu tile disappears. Is there any fix for this? Other programs do not remove this tile when updating.

1 Like

I’ve just tried video stabilization, but it’s excruciatingly slow: 0.5fps on a 4k material with rolling shutter correction enabled (intrestingly, it’s the same speed on Win11 with 3080 Ti and on a 14" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro). Is that expected? I can’t see how can this be usable in the long run :confused:

1 Like

I believe there was some discussion of having facial enhancement back during the beta. As such, I think we should ask Topaz directly. @ida.topazlabs @gregory.maddra

3 Likes

Regardless what it might be named, the result for small faces (an some other small structures) is unacceptable.
As I can see in the videos (TV episodes produced between 1998 until 2021) the problem with small faces is gone for those younger than 2010. That means the older ones must have been encoded in a way which TVAI cannot handle correctly, most obviously in small faces but also in some other small details.

1 Like

The challenge would be to have a face that stays coherent. Try to use Gigapixel AI or Photo AI face refinement on a few frames of a video and you will understand why it’s another story to implement that feature in videos. Also the rendering times would dramatically be reduces by something like 5X-6X judging on the photos software performances with FR on/off.

2 Likes

The same here on Windows 11 , I make shortcut from Topaz Video AI.exe and copy to
start menu by myself.

C\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI\Topaz Video AI.exe (make a shortcut)

copy to

C\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Startmenu\Program\Topaz Video AI(remove original or overwrite)

This is just quick fix, the solution should be provided by developer. As many users feedback, TVAI V3 is far from completion.

1 Like

2020 iMac 27" i9 10 Core, 5700XT 16 GBs, 128 Ram Topaz VE AI 3.0.2, Exporting to G-Raid at 350Mbs write.

Previews not working properly. When I select “Preview” (the Blue button) Topaz doesn’t switch to the Preview window and in the output window below it doesn’t show anything happening unless I switch to all outputs. If I’m on all outputs, nothing is shown to be happening unless I select “Previews”. Such strange behavior for a release such as this.

2 Likes

100% agree

Agree that Chase’s request is a challenge and that it’s hard to do coherent faces but we know that. AI is hard in general but that something is hard and a challenge is irrelevant to the request. Every Pro Editor or Post Production Facility I know (many) would buy Topaz at top dollar if the problem of “monster faces” with bulging eyeballs could be solved. I agree with Chase in that I don’t need a new UI. I need coherence and quality in faces that are not obtainable with Topaz VE AI. Not that you can’t get great results. I use Topaz to great effect depending on the quality of the input. And I realize that some low quality footage may never be workable-garbage in-garbage out-having said that it would be great if on the next series of Betas that Quality is the utmost concern, not new features or UI.

3 Likes

Hello. In v3.0.2: Stabilization is slow with Full Frame option, but fast with Auto-Crop option.
If I try to use the Jitter option, the results are not good with Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super with up-to-date Studio driver. If I use CPU or Intel, the results are good, but the process is much slower. Does not matter if SD or HD video as source.

I like the “drilling down” to the desired model instead of having to pick from a long list.

The text on the interface seems muddy and maybe a too small font size in some places. There’s a symbol to the right of the “next frame” button that doesn’t seem to do anything when clicked. Don’t know what it is for. It’s a little circle with a small symbol inside.

System details:

Windows 11 Home
Dell 8940
Intel(R) Core™ i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz
32GB Memory
10TB Storage / 512GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super

1 Like

Still missing avisynth import…

3 Likes

Trim had a preview in 3.0 but if it still works it has none in 3.01? I use trim a lot, but now I need to go back to Handbrake to edit the videos, as the new editing features that were in 3.0 don’t work in 3.01. Sadly for me, I loved 2.64 and the flexibility it and control it had, but the dumbed down UI in 3.0 is much worse and takes more stages to get the same effect. Fortunately for me, I had a backup of 2.64, or I would be left with this new 3.0 which deletes the old 2.64 and I at this point find 3.0 a massive downgrade from 2.64 which made me buy a licence from the trial. In a year or two, I am sure 3.0 will be great, but it’s a buggy mess at the moment. Reminds me of an MMORPG when the devs fix bugs and cause more with the fixes. 2.64 for me and handbrake for the foreseeable future even without updates to 2.64 as 2.64 was and is a great product

1 Like

Face Encoding?

I would think that recognition would depend on skin colors and the perception of facial features. I’m certain that MPEG compression algorithms don’t make exceptions for faces when they are encoding video.

There may have been some change in the encoding standards/methods at that time; they are evolving constantly.

Could the difference be the transition from analog to digital?

The Ui design seems to follow the one from Photo Ai from what i can see. personnally i like it, and i understand that they want a constant between software, as it seems that Topaz want to reduce the availalability of their software to certainly only 2, Video Ai and Photo Ai.

This is a button which is not working properly now because the fix to make the playback of the preview/export going at the normal 1x speed is not yet there. but this small button slow down the playback by 20%. it will be useful certainly when the playback will play normally (not working yet), but for now it’s useless because the playback is already playing slower (3.0) or broken (3.0.1/3.0.2)

I would suggest to most people who have big issues with 3.0.1/3.0.2 to use / try 3.0 instead, lot of bugs which appeared in 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 are not on this version, and the experience is very different.

the 2.6.4 version is available to everybody and can be installed alongside the 3.0
there is an option for the 3.0 to uninstall or NOT the 2.x software during the installation. you just need to not check the button to keep the 2.6.4 version until an acceptable version will be available as suggested in the changelog at the beginning of this thread.

link to 2.6.4 can be find here → 2.6.4 thread.

Situation is a bit difficult for everybody, I hope that a stable version of 3.0 will be there and ok as fast as possible too. Anyway, if people who paid for the upgrade are unhappy, I read they can write to the support to request a refund.