Topaz Video AI v3.0.10

All I was trying to get across was Task Manager can show a better estimate if the settings are changed.

1 Like

I have been deliberately using the deinterlacing functionality in TVAI 3.x. There are many kinds of interlace methods that have been used and ā€˜integratedā€™ into MPEG compression. Some of these are legacy for NTSC and PAL, other variations were adapted when color TV came along, and others were added to support regional variations. Todayā€™s mpeg is a mish-mosh or exceptions.

Consequentially, that means we need to understand what flavor of interlace we have in our source video and select the most appropriate method to deinterlace it most effectively. Looking through the Video section of a MediaInfo report on the source videoā€™s attributes will usually give you enough hints to choose; that is, once you recognize them.

After that, the current TVAI 3.x has a lot to offer in the way of converting a variety of deinterlace types into good-quality progressive.

Iā€™m sure you can. But you may be doing a lot of unnecessary work

I encourage you to experiment and (very possibly) find new ways, that may eliminate a number of those steps, and give as good or better results and save you time.

The key is knowing what enhancement or combination of operationa to use when processing various types of interlaced media through TVAI.

Have you tried running a Windows system file check? You may have a corrupted system file.

Thanks for the suggestion, but being a cyber guy for quite some time, Windows ā€œsmellsā€ a certain way when it gets corrupt ā€“ I think I picked up instead the odor of yet another sloppily made, new Intel driver for its Arc A770 GPU card. If you donā€™t know about this, Intel decided to get into the mid-range GPU market, but they shipped their products with barely working driver support, so my system has been getting an almost comical amount of updates from Intel in trying to catch up. But I also have been getting a fair amount of updates from Topaz as well, and they both coincided on the day things stopped working. I should mention I got the Arc instead of an AMD or Nvidia card because Intel showed it working well with Topazā€™s stuff.

So what I did so far is replace the newest Intel driver with one from a couple of week ago. That actually created a minor Windows problem (have to now unplug/replug my HDMI cable to get a monitor display on bootup), but I think that may have fixed the problem with Video AI: a test process ran for hours without problems. Iā€™ll run a more serious test later this weekend. Man, itā€™s just about 2023 and trial & error is still the dominant troubleshooting method for computer systems. Have a Happy New Year in any case.

In my experience, however (ProRes 422 HQ), these output files arenā€™t readable yet. Itā€™s only on the 2nd pass (with the .prob3 extension) that the headers are written to the .mov file.

On ffmpeg, btw, if you have a 12th or 13th gen Intel CPU, you can use a tool like Process Lasso, and set a permanent CPU affinity from 0-15 (all P-Cores) to ffmpeg, and 16-23 (all E-Cores) to the actual TVAI process (which is little more than a shell, really, once the process is ongoing: itā€™s ffmpeg that does all the work). Makes for a perfect, full CPU usage.

Wait, are you runnning 3 instances of TVAI, or 3 jobs concurrently in 1 TVAI process? Iā€™ve been doing the former. :slight_smile:

I was running 3 exports concurrently. I donā€™t see the need to open up separate instances in TVAI v3.

Thank you for information

2.4.0-DDV3 did not work, but 2.4.0-DDV2 was able to deinterlace with high image quality without afterimages

/////////////////////////////////////////////

TOPAZ check this

1 Like

GUI Crashing is not necessarily a failed export:

Iā€™m a new user since TVAI 3.0. After experiencing crashes on an iMac (2020) with 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 64 GB memory, and AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB, I read the forums diligently and learned that a GUI crash does not necessarily mean the underlying ffmpeg export process has quit.

Yesterday, after a GUI crash and subsequent computer user logout, after logging back in, I checked Activity Monitor and confirmed that ffmpeg was indeed still exporting! So I periodically opened the output video and noted that, over time, it continued to show more and more processed video being added. So if you have a GUI crash, note that ffmpeg may actually continue to process the job. Just check your computer utilities to see if ffmpeg is running and active.

By the way, I believe I triggered the GUI crash by constantly checking progress manually at various spots in the video by comparing before/after using mouse clicks. It eventually froze and crashed the GUI, but the computer did not completely crash - it brought me back to the user login screen. After logging in again, I checked and discovered ffmpeg was still working on the video export despite the fact that TVAI had quit. It just successfully completed the video in the same amount of time predicted by the GUI before that crashed :smiley:

This may be so basic, but I can not figure out how to install the actual updates. I get this:
a screen that says install now at the bottom right but nothing happens when I click it, the program just opens.

As a long-time machine-language programmer, you have my understanding and deepest sympathy.

I got tired of waiting for Intel to get on the stick and actually do something video-wise, and moved my monitors the Nvidia card. Intel makes damn good CPUs and chipsets, but they seem to lack vision in some areas; video-vision being one of them. Maybe, theyā€™re actually making the effort to keep up (or even) lead.

I guess Iā€™ve gotten lucky a few times, because the temp files often finish with workable headers. Iā€™m mainly using Nvidia for my video hardware, so perhaps thereā€™s a difference.

@nipun.nath When you Drag-N-Drop files (more than one) into VEAI, they are placed in random order within the Video panel.

Can this change so that they are in alphabetical order? I have had multi-clip exports put some random order and #15 is still waiting to process after #22.

Currently I have to manually drop the in one at a time in order, or set their export one at a time to set the order.

Thanks!

Good to hear. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m surprised ffmpeg actually keeps running when TVAI crashes. Usually, when the parent dies, the child process is being ā€˜reapedā€™ too (unless it was purposely detached from the parent).

1 Like

@nipun.nath
Iā€™m putting my two cents worth on the same subject. We also need the functionality that will make it possible to export all selected source files appended into one. (Assuming they are all using the same output format, that is.)

This was one of the big complaints with Version 1 and 2 was when they crashed you lost everything and there was no hope of recovery. The GUI(including preview) and processing engine had to be separated to get around this. That was why many got upset when Trim lost frame numbers. It was easy to divide a video into sections by frame count and then recover only the section(s) you lost after a crash.

2 Likes

In VEAI (v1 & v2) the GUI .exe was the engine too; come TVAI (v3), they apparently moved the engine entirely to ffmpeg. Check! Since the latter is now the engine, though, makes one wonder what the difference is then, crashing-wise (presuming it was always the engine crashing). Was it the GUI? Was it Preview causing a crash? (If so, they now elegantly solved that by giving us only a half-working Preview. :joy: What, too soon?).

I now see where youā€™re coming from, though, with Trim not having accurate frame numbers.

1 Like

You really have to do more extensive facial expressions and clothing modelā€™s training.

1 Like

Guys I am new to Topaz Video AI, whenever I try to do some changes, it gives me this error message - any idea? I am on a MacBook Air M2.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like