Topaz Video AI v3.0.10

Try QTGMC.

5 Likes

This post is for newbies or anyone who doesnā€™t already know about this. - It may save you from several hours of ā€˜reinventing the wheel.ā€™ :nerd_face:

TVAI video files are actually being rendered by a Topaz/FFmpeg application that runs in the background. If the TVAI GUI crashes or ā€˜disappearsā€™ FFmpeg will often, (but not always,) continue to process jobs that the GUI passed into it before it went ā€˜away.ā€™

If the GUI vanishes (in Windows) and you had an export job or jobs running, try this: BEFORE rebooting open the Task Manager and scroll down to find FFmpeg. It usually shows up in a few waysā€¦

Like this

or, like thisā€¦

In either case, if it shows the GPU activity for it is high or very high, then it is continuing to process your video.
(example)
image If you find this FFmpeg is finishing the job for you. So, wait for it to finish*; rebooting will just throw everything away.

When this happens, the finished video may show up in the destination folder with its temporary name instead of the name you may have given it in the export screen. It may look something like this: ā€œYourVideoName_1_ahq12_94280991.movā€ - If you find this, please check it out, it may be your finished video.

Note: FFmpeg can also be resident in memory but just hung and not doing anything. So, if the task isnā€™t shown as active, itā€™s time to reboot.*

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tried TVAI deinterlacing and found it would just be a waste of my time to continue using it. I now ALWAYS use HandBrake for deinterlacing (actually decombing) prior to TVAI processing. It is 100ā€™s of times faster than TVAI and allows me to choose the most appropriate upscaling model for my needs - usually Artemis or Proteus.

Thanks.

Andy

2 Likes

Actually, Iā€™ve been having VERY good luck with the deinterlacing capabilities in TVAI 3.x as of late. - Until recently, TVAIā€™s deinterlace had issues.

Many of the common deinterlace utilities out there may convert interlaced to progressive but can also leave your progressive output with serious flaws. They can also leave the output in a state of being progressive, but still interlaced. :thinking:

It may take a couple of steps, depending on the kind of interlacing used in the source video, but using it has some great benefits. A very important one of them is not ā€˜baking inā€™ a lot of distortion and noise.

Iā€™ve suggested (elsewhere) in this topic that we start a separate thread to discuss the ways to take best advantage of TVAI 3.x deinterlacing, based on the type of interlace used in the source video.

1 Like

changed the description

MPEG-TS-DDV3 created with 3.0.0-5 gives the best results when using Chronos

Thanks Andy, as have yourself, Iā€™ve had no luck deinterlacing in TVAI. Sticking with HB as it performs to my needs.

Hi, the best is still QTGMC and in my opinion for a long time yet. Because we can customize the spatio and temporal denoising in addition to deinterlacing, it is also the one that denoisses the best and leaves the least artifacts, so none comes to his ankle.

3 Likes

I have the same opinion. There is no problem with deinterlacing and improving the image quality of DVDs with DDV3.

However, there is a problem when high quality video such as MPEG-TS is deinterlaced and high quality is made with DDV3.

This means there is a problem with MPEG-TS conversion with DDV3

I would like to ask TOPAZ to improve it as soon as possible.

I recommend trying the Apollo model.

As far as I can tell MPEG-TS is just a broadcast specificationā€”not a video storage format. If you have a file that originated from a MPEG-TS it must be in a common codec like MPEG2 or AVC.

1 Like

Yep. Here is the Wikipedia page for MPEG Transport Streamā€¦MPEG-TS. @bird-1614
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream

1 Like

I will refer to it next time

made a new test

MPEG-TS DDV3-3840x2160-2.6.4 VS MPEG4 H264 prob3-3840x2160-3.0.10 AUTO

I think DDV3-2.6.4 wins when it comes to image quality.
I hope the deinterlacing will be better with this image quality

1 Like

Hi, Are there any plans to add a Constant Rate Factor (CRF) encode to Video AI ? Iā€™m complacency with Video AIā€™s UI, but I feel the encoding quality is inferior compared to Topaz Video Enhance AI.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, TVAI doesnā€™t support CRF. But you can specify a high bitrate which helps much the same way as a low-numbered CRF can.

Also, TVAI 3.x supports ProRes 422 HQ which is low-loss and AV1, which is lossless. - Only a small number of the newer GPUs will encode AV1. However, ProRes 422 HQ is pretty good for most purposes.

You do not have to use the encoder the GUI has chosen.
Since all the real work is done in ffmpeg, you are free to use pipe to any encoder you choose.
Since a while, I myself have been using topaz-ffmpeg | x265 pipe and avs2yuv | topaz-ffmpeg | x265 pipe, if I pre-process the video with the avisynth script with multiple filters.

2 Likes

Well, my system, which is running a Ryzen 7 3700X with 16 GB of memory, is back to not being able to use the Intel Arc A770 GPU for running this latest version of Video AI: it runs for a while and then either generates an unknown error or simply crashes and exits out completely. Iā€™ve had this problem before and the workaround was to just use the CPU for processing, and an update eventually fixed it. However Iā€™ve been getting pretty regular updates from both Topaz and Intel, so itā€™s been tricky to figure out which one is either fixing or causing a problem. My current Arc driver, supposedly the latest, is 31.0.101.4032.

You are a brave beta tester. :smiley:

If it wasnā€™t for the ghosting around the edges in high contrast scenes, and the occasional ā€˜jumpingā€™ of frames, I would like Topaz deinterlacing as well. But, for me itā€™s unusable for any serious work. My go to is QTGMC in the free Hybrid app.

2 Likes

I also use Hybrid. BUT try 2.4.0 TVAI since it does not create the ghosting. But I must compare it with Hybrid. Topaz also cleans the footage while QTGMC without using any additional degrain/denoise etc filters does not so there is no easy direct comparison. But for some reason the 2.4.0 does not cause the ghosting while both previous and next version exhibit this phenomenon.
PS How to implement scripts in VEAI in beta versions?

1 Like

Gpu-Z is much better than Windows Task Manager

1 Like