Topaz Video AI v3.0.0

Your name is Imo. IMO stands for “in my opinion”. He’s not quoting you - and you’ve been told that before.

7 Likes

lmao, true :rofl:

I know that. The only scaling I use in VEAI is 2X or 4X. Final scaling is done in Avisynth/Hybrid.

I clearly show in the screenshots that it’s a 2X scale, and I’m only mentioning scale=0 / scale=2 because it was suggested as the fix to make 3.0.0 results “exactly like 2.6.4” results, which isn’t the case in my example.

The source in my example is 640x480, not 720x480.

1 Like

Actually I upscale 1280 to 1920 progressive videos downloaded from TV-Mediathek with these settings

Very often (but not always) I get those artifacts

How can that be avoided?

2 Likes

Either clean the noise by running Artemis Medium Quality at 100% scale first, or try turning the reduce noise slider to -50 or more.
I’ve tried the relative to auto and found no values that produced results I could tolerate. I’ve been using manual settings instead.

2 Likes

I find that switching to “manual” with

Revert Compression 50
Dehalo 10

and everything else at 0 works quite well. Adding Sharpen and Recover Detail will always add artefacts like in your example.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll experiment these settings and report.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen that before so I appreciate it.

However, it’s not clear to me how to apply the “mod”.

You say, look for this line:

"vidArtifactType": ["Compression", "Noise", "Blurry", "None"]

So far so good, I can find it in the json’s.

However, you say this:

That’s where I’m lost. I don’t understand how you would do that. Like this? -

"vidArtifactType": ["Compression", "Noise", "None"]

…or, like this? -

"vidArtifactType": ["Compression", "Noise", "None", "None"]

I’d really like to try this, so please can you clarify this or give an example of how you changed it?

What does Proteus show for this frame when you Estimate the values. That would guide what the sliders need to be set to. Every video will be a bit different unless you know the source material. How bad is the frame with just using Auto?

We just need someone in here named LMAO now.

2 Likes

I downloaded a video from the site you mentioned. The video was 1280x720 @ 3000Kb/s.

This screen shot probably won’t do the images justice but here is what I got.

Hopefully this will be better.

1 Like

In my opinion, the number of rescaling options are all potentially useful. It may require the users to try a experiment with a few of them to become familiar with what they actually do.

3 Likes

Hi,

V3.0.0 is a nice improvement in general.

However, I want to point out a few things that I think requires additional effort…

1. There is no real help available. Sure, generic info on things that are kind of self explanatory is available. What I call “support”-help, to solve very generic queries.
    But in-depth info on for example the output encoder types and what using respective encoder actually means, such information is currently not found in SW or on the webpage support pages.
  2. I’m on M1-pro, and by choosing “Apple M1-Pro” in the AI Processor list, I’m assuming the relevant processors will be used for relevant operations, which includes using the HW encoder for up-scaling and other video encoding operations.
  • Are the HW-encoders at all in use on M1-Pro and M1-Max Macs for encoding?
  • If not, why not?
  • If not, will it be and when in that case?
  • If available, is it required of me to choose a specific Output Encoder for that to happen?
    (To me, this kind of information is important, so that I can make the correct settings. Yet, no information is found at all about it, nor does it seem important to talk about in reviews and such… comically)

Thanks for the word.

Has anyone noticed their new licensing for V3?

Quite sneaky I think…

2 Likes

The new version seemed like it’s a rushed BETA
It’s not faster than Version 2.6.4
I am using a 32core Threadripper and only 5-10% of the power is ever used.
and under 1% of my GPU. Why can’t more CPU/GPU power be used?
This program should be 10X faster on a faster computer.
ALSO why can’t the EXPORT remember the directory to save in like version 2.6.4
I want the program saved in the same folder as the source, but V3 doesn’t do that.

4 Likes

It appears that you will now have to buy two copies of the software as they are advertising purchase includes two seats. The days of unlimited are gone.

Version 3 speed is Horrible, its 4X SLOWER than 3.6.4
Here is my example:
Same program: one minute 480p mp4, Artemis filter output to 1080p
V2.6.4 Total time 5 minutes to complete
v3.0 Total time 20 minutes to complete
Why make a new version 4X slower?
Again I am using a 32core Threadripper, 32gb memory, nVidia gpu
Looks like I need to stick to V2.6.4
(If you need more Beta testers just let me know)

3 Likes

We’ll see. I really never expected to use all three computers running VEAI all the time. I will probably use the 8 core/16 thread machine for a dedicated pre and post processing computer. It has the weakest GPU of the 3 computers and I prefer software encoding. Not the end of the world.

1 Like

Well - I am seeing changes on their website for previous versions that now state 2 licenses (for v 2.6.4) and the updated page was October 20, 2022.

In addition a lot of information regarding previous versions has been removed from their website.

It seems you always need to authenticate your copy of the software with their servers, even if you have pre-downloaded all of the models.

Thank gawd for the WayBack Machine.

Topaz needs to clear up this licensing thing. There are many of us that use this software on multiple machines at the same time.

1 Like