Topaz Video AI v3.0.0

I just ran what I think is similar to your video, 856x480 mp4 1 minute in length.

My computer is a Ryzen 9 3900x, 64Gb Ram and a RTX 3060Ti GPU. My 5600x, 32Gb ram with a RTX 3060(12Gb) is showing the same times as the 3900x.

2.6.4 Artemis V13 MedQual video (856x480 1 minute long) 0.11 sec./frame 2 minutes and 35 seconds

3.0.0 Artemis MedQual video (856x480 1 minute long) 0.11 sec./frame 2 minutes and 29 seconds

1 Like

I am not a regular poster but I had to come here to comment on this release. Itā€™s that bad that I have had to revert to v2.6.4. My system is an Intel i9, 64 gb ram, Samsung SSD drives, Nvidea GeForce 2080 Super graphics and I have never had any issues with previous versions. It has been fantastic to use and I have learnt a lot over the last year to get the best out of it. Using 2.6.4 now, it is flowing smoothly as I watch it doing its work.

3.0.0 is a downgrade. It runs like a beta version, and I am probably being generous in saying that. After cursing your latest version for hours, I just redownloaded and installed 2.6.4. What a breath of fresh air it is after version 3.

I am currently encoding a video. 20 minutes on 2.6.4, yet it took 1 hour and 10 minutes on version 3 and the result was very average. The new interface, while looking more modern, is a PITA. Why not just keep the same options in it so you donā€™t confuse everyone? And why is it so slow ? And why are previews so jerky and out of synch ?
I donā€™t even want to start talking about the nightmare preview boxes that fill the screen whenever you want to look at at something.

I wish I could say something positive, but it is an absolute shocker and you need to really look at what you are putting out. If this was a Beta that people could download to test, thatā€™s one thing. I cant believe something this slow and buggy was a general release.

I seriously hope there is a prompt upgrade to 3.0.1 as no doubt there are many like me that are coming up on there first year and will be having a good think about whether its even worthwhile continuing to pay money for upgrades. As it stands, I wont beā€¦2.6.4 is a cut above this and it is hard to believe this 2 different versions came from the same company.

Its a bit like the photo software, I own all of your products. Now I get the semi dud Photo AI that is worse than the products it is supposed to replace.

Anyway, thats my feedback. Sorry it wasnt better.

9 Likes

apart from the technical problems people mention: Iā€™m NOT convinced by the ā€œimprovedā€ UI.It seems that simply that all the handholdy assistants and advisers and whatnot are now forced on me. So selecting the very same features has become more cumbersome due to unnecessary splitting into seperate menus. It feefls bloated but not better.

The Trim function doesnā€™t do any more than the older one but has now become needlessly cumbersome to use. Instead (thatā€™s not even an option anymore!) of simply timeline click, ā€œiā€, click ā€œoā€) , you now have to click a button, move markers with the mouse, and then another pointles click to ā€œapplyā€ā€¦ And to change it, all of that again.Itā€™s literally the same but with more fluff.

Yet basic real improvements it are still missing. It saves my last session as autosave. So there is a save function. Why canā€™t i still not save a session manually with a name then? If you have two instances running and one crashes, you can start from scratch because the backup is uusally from the wong one. Or multiple trim segments (more features would be a real reason for a seperate menu).
Or a pause function.

I guess the idea is to make things easier to understand and find for new users. And they probably do. But many a workflow has been sacrificed for that.The improved workflow claim seems almost sarcastic. It would be great to have the few real advantages (stabilisation, offline mode(!!), new ai modelsā€¦ in the more streamlined old ui. As it stands, with these and the other issues i will not refresh my update period for now. The older version is simple better.

Btw: no file load via network: i had that issue with older versions too. The reason after a long search was it running as Administrator. As soon as i removed that (compatibility mode), i could drag files from the network in again.

1 Like

For couriosity even if the 3.x beta versions were lacking old functionality in general they were working well in the last beta versions but the final 3.x on my end does not. I never saw messed up previews like rhat in any beta before.

The w,h options are calculated factoring in the aspect ratio as well, so it is a black box whether none, 2x upscaling, or 4x upscaling was applied.
I would like the GUI to have the ability to display the scaling factor applied to AI scaling.
scaling

1 Like

Sorry, I thought it was a scaling factor issue since there was also a lanczos comparison.

I mainly use Proteus and I could hardly notice any difference between 2.6.4 and 3.0 with the same values set.
However, in gradation, I felt a difference between 2.6.4 (8bit) and 3.0 (16bit), so I have decided that 3.0 is more favored.

I agree, it would make SO much more sense to have a CQ quality setting instead - I have the opposite problem: I would like ā€˜fatterā€™ higher quality output (for later processing) and be able to choose -cq1 (even add on -qmin 1 -qmax 1 and get control over the -pix_fmt settings as well). It would also be nice to start with a ā€œ-preset p7ā€ instead of ā€œ-preset normalā€ ā€¦nobody is to live stream the output itself anyway and the ā€œmediumā€ and ā€œ-b:vā€ settings simply do not cut it quality-wide for me. I am forced to use ProRes 422 HQ OR utilize a nvenc commandline to get decent results - But it would be so much easier to patch encode had the GUI just presented better codec options.

Still unable to process files. New ffmpeg error:

Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.600867 67.600867
1920x1080, 4:4:4 10 bits, MBAFF=0 ACT=1
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.634233 67.634233
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.667600 67.667600
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.700967 67.700967
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.734333 67.734333
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.767700 67.767700
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.801067 67.801067
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.834433 67.834433
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.867800 67.867800
Finished processing frame prob-3 0 67.901167 67.901167

2022-10-22-22-20-46-Main.tzlog (946.1 KB)

Strong ghosting artefacts on moving objects when using stabilisation with ā€œreduce jittery motionsā€ 3rd, 4th or 5th pass, together with enhancements models used. Video example had strong noise and strong jitter. Created on gopro 4 silver in low light situation. Any help regarding the use of ā€œreduce jittery motionsā€?

Which Threadripper and which nvidia gpu?
Motherboard would also be nice.

See also release notes.

1 Like

There are also options that allow you to specify the width and the height, thus changing the aspect ratio. Iā€™ve used these with cropped images and then embed the cropped video into a letterbox 16:9 that will fit on a modern screen. (Unless theyā€™ve removed this functionality for the 3.0 release version, Iā€™ve found it to be useful when it is needed.

I am unable to preview or export a single clip with any enhancements at all. I can crop, trim, export. But the moment I try to use any of the AI models, and I do mean ANY, the preview fails, and export does nothing.
Running on 14inch M1 Pro MacBook.

Anyone else having this issue? Or know how to resolve? Ive been using v2.6.4 instead for the mean time.

to your Point 2) I would like to add that programs like Handbreak are offering both settings. So you either can dial in a quality Level OR use Bitrate. Bitrate is usefull in two scenarios. Either you need to know exactly how big your file is going to be (since you can calculate that with Bitrate and clip lenght) or if you need to hit a specific Bitrate (because of technical, hardware or customer demand reason).

So I would hope that they donĀ“t get rid of Bitrate in favor or Quality Level but implement both. Either in the way that Handbreak did it, or by a global setting inside of Preferences

1 Like

Unfortunately, itā€™s broken. Tried to trim just the width of a 720x480 SD to 2824x2160 4K, but it squishes the height to 1882, leaving thick black bars on the top and bottom.

i tried what you told, what is your source ? a 4:3 file ? i donā€™t have the 1882 issue you tell.

here is a 4:3 DVD rip ā†’ MakeMkv ā†’ De-interlaced with GTQMC ā†’ VEAI 3.0 ā†’ Cropped to remove some unfortunate Pal lines ā†’ Widht + Height set to 2824x2160 4K + Proteus Auto =

Interesting. I guess I need to experiment with the settings a little more.

i learned often that sometimes, Veai or any other software handle bad some files. bad conversion, source, format etc.
you can easily replace bad by ā€œnot accurateā€ ; ā€œnot compatible withā€, ā€œnot yet able to handle the formatā€ etc ā€¦ instead of forcing it to accept any files, i think there is a better approach.

VEAI is a kind of Gui for an open source software called ffmpeg, and where the model Ai are used as kind of ā€œpluginsā€. 3 different things working together.

example with Vegas Pro of such issue : during many years, i was working with vegas pro with all kind of file, CBR, VBR, different Framerate etc and didnā€™t care of the source format.
it was crashing ALL the time, 10, 15 crash per hour. A Nightmare.
the software is known for that. it could almost be called Vegas Crash Pro ! With time, the dev team reduced the number of crash butā€¦ they were still a lot of them.

with time, I noticed that the software can handle different bitrate only at a certain point.
that working with intel iGpu than Nvidia card was more stable. the rendering is slower, but slower is better than crashing all the time!!

The preview is still Awfully slow, never been fixed.
I can assure you that the devs behind VEAI are much more listening to their users that the one behind other company.

how to reduce vegas pro crash ? stopping mix of different framerateā€¦ thatā€™s how VEAI help me to work in vegas pro and make it crashing less.

sure, someone else could tell ā€œDaVinci handle all this without a single issueā€, but i donā€™t care about how other software work. I like to work with some software than others for different reasons, crash included :wink:

2 Likes

Trim is cutting something off. It is also known as cropping. You are talking about resizing or rescaling the imageā€¦

I love the new interface, and the performance is nothing short of amazing. I do have one question. I set it up to do a project last night, figuring it would take most of the night. I was pleasantly surprised by how fast it was. But now I see a second process going on even though I didnā€™t have two processes set. The first one seems to be complete showing a .mov, the second, which is still going, showed a .tvai format, and now it is showing .tvai.mov and still going. I did an enhancement, and the output box shows a green check mark. So what is this second process going on?

Handbrake.