Topaz Studio crashing

VRAM relates to your graphics capability, and if you look at the specs in the link you provided it states that there is no dedicated graphics card, only integrated Iris graphics. As previously mentioned, you need at least 2GB of dedicated VRAM to run Studio 2.

1 Like

Hi PaulM,
Thanks for your information. Yeah, I know the PC I bought has an integrated graphic card. I wonder is there anyway that I would know how much vRAM memory an integrated graphic card has before I buy the PC? (of course it is too late for now now, but it could be helpful for me the next time I need to buy a PC).

So what puzzles me is that nowhere I could find information on the amount of vRAM a processor has, so how would I know if a PC meet the minimum requirement to run Topaz Labs software before I actually buy the PC? Thanks.

I think you and I are pretty much in the same boat - or at least moored at the same dock (as far as technical know how goes)

What I would do when ready to purchase my next PC [you might want to consider too] - given how software in general is evolving toward demanding AI systems (Topaz, Adobe, ON1, Substance, etc.) - is this

For the primary software I want to continue/start using I’d (1) print out the tech requirements from the vendor’s website Support page(s) for that software, (2) do my best to narrow down some computing systems that meet those requirements (and my wallet), (3) take those specs with me (to Best Buy or whatever computer emporium where you’re shopping - no more Fry’s in California) and (4) ask a knowledgeable salesperson (or tech support person) at that place, (e.g., Geek Squad for Best Buy) if the 1-3 top computers I’ve narrowed down to meet/exceed the specs for the software I want run (that’s when I’d show them my requirements printouts). That’s what they’re supposed to help with. I know I’d get a system with ‘headroom’ above the minimum requirements just given the development and computing demand trends.

Don’t know if that helps, but there you go.

1 Like

I think integrated graphics only ever have 128 MB of VRAM - the rest is shared from your system RAM (Don will correct me if I’m wrong). You need a dedicated graphics card with at least 2GB, preferably 4GB +. You could add one to your current PC but they’re very pricey at the moment.

1 Like

Yes, Adobe told me that for several of their programs I’d need at least 4GB+.

When I looked for more powerful processors (even last Xmas & I know the situation hasn’t improved) there was virtually no inventory anywhere and the prices (given that) were obscene.

1 Like

Thanks Fotomaker,

Those are good suggestions. Thanks. Actually I very briefly thought about doing what you suggested before I bought my PC recently. But I quickly dismissed the idea (my mistake) because I thought an Intel Core i7 11th gen. with 16GM of RAM, etc
 would definitely meet the minimum requirement to run Topaz Labs software.

I could be wrong, but If I am not able to pull out this vRAM information from Intel’s own product information webpage, I wonder if retail floor sales person would be able to find such info.

Fotomaker, so are you able to run Topaz Labs software now?

1 Like

Yes. I have 4GB VRAM and billions (okay, I think 65GB) of RAM. But I must run Topaz programs only using CPU (GPU attempts crash my Win 10 desktop PC - my laptop can barely run Powerpt w/out Geritol
 - so starting last Dec. I was looking to get a GPU that would work with Topaz & other programs - no luck). So they run slowly for me.

1 Like

OK.
Looks like I am out of luck, I won’t be able to run Topaz Labs software :frowning:
Sigh~~~
Thanks

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

You might be able to run some of the other apps where you can elect to use the CPU, but they’ll only run slowly. It’s only Studio 2 that doesn’t have that option.

2 Likes