Topaz Studio crashing

Just got a new laptop and everything TL keeping crashing like a Lambo without brakes.

Application & Version: Topaz Studio 2 Version 2.3.1

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 - Build 26.20.100.7641

CPU RAM: 15974 MB

Video RAM: 1500 MB Total, 1500 MB In Use

Preview Limit: 3910 Pixels

If your new laptop is a Surface Pro, I see you are already on the correct thread. You can also raise a support request at the main website if you like.

Crashing is an ongoing problem for me as well. It appears to be worse with larger file sizes and when using Studio 2 as a plug-in. I have a Sony A7R4 and the program will NEVER open on a full sized picture (even in stand alone mode). I finally was able to edit one of my Sony images by downsizing it to 20MP and opening in standalone mode. Even then, after adding more than one look, the program crashed and I could only get stable performance after rebooting my computer. I donā€™t think I have a hardware issue because it is a pretty robust desktop. Here are the specs:

• Processor - i9-9900X 3.5GHz
  • RAM - 128 GB
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 (8GB)
  • OS - Windows 10, 64 Bit

My version of Studio 2 is 2.3.1.

I love the results I get (when the program works!!!). I hope someone can help all of us with this continual crashing issue. Unfortunately, until it is resolved, it canā€™t recommend the product to anyone becasue of the lack of stability.

Please go to Help-Graphics info press Copy and paste the info here.

Application & Version: Topaz Studio 2 Version 2.3.1

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 446.14

CPU RAM: 130764 MB

Video RAM: 8192 MB Total, 4096 MB In Use

Preview Limit: 6636 Pixels

It could well be that your NVIDIA drivers are out of date, the current version is 456.71, so go to the NVIDIA website and update from there and see if that helps. And I cannot see any other Hardware problems except I have PC envy now :slight_smile:

I have no issues opening a EOS 5DsR image which is 8688 x 5792 pixels either as a plugin to CS6, LR6, Affinity Photo, Capture One, ON1 Photo RAW or as a standalone and my PC has a GTX 1050/4GB.

Topaz Studio just keeps crashing and is basically unusable any more. I have a high end PC (latest AMD processor, 64gb ram, etc.) and the program is useless to me !!!

For what itā€™s worth, I found some info on these forums that correlates some crashing to Sony A7 metadata. I have an A7R3 and A7R4 and stripping out the metadata has helped with stability (although not solved it completely).

Go to the Help menu, select Graphics Info, press Copy and paste the info here.

Same here. Scroll through looks = crash/auto-reboot for Dell XPS 8930

Application & Version: Topaz Studio 2 Version 2.3.2

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009

Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 472.47

CPU RAM: 65342 MB

Video RAM: 8192 MB

Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

My Topaz Studio 2 version 2.3.2 keep crashing shortly I start editing. Anyone has suggestions for whatā€™s causing it? I have a newly purchased higher end PC. My graphic info as follow:

Application & Version: Topaz Studio 2 Version 2.3.2

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004

Graphics Hardware: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 - Build 30.0.100.9805

CPU RAM: 16185 MB

Video RAM: 1500 MB

Preview Limit: 3910 Pixels

You only have 1500 MB of shared VRAM but you need a minimum of 2 GB of dedicated VRAM to run Studio 2.

1 Like

Thanks PaulM. Ouchā€¦ looks like I wonā€™t be able to run these products until I buy my next PC. Thanks for your help

As you know, I"m not a technical personā€¦ if someone (like Maxwell) is within ā€˜shouting distanceā€™ of the base VRAM but under the required amount is it possible to reallocate some system RAM to be used for video RAM? Iā€™m not asking about adding a video RAM component as an update like could be done for the system RAM (if thatā€™s the correct term for it). Just directing some excess system RAM to be used instead for VRAM. Is that a doable thing?

1 Like

As I understand it thatā€™s what the 1500 MB is - system RAM used as VRAM - and you canā€™t allocate any more.

2 Likes

The actual vRAM is about 128MB, the rest is allocated through the BIOS on startup.

3 Likes

Thx Paul & Don! Itā€™s interesting to understand how it works.

2 Likes

I am not a technical person. But I tried to research to the best of my ability before I bought my new PC. I bought an Intel Core i7 11th generation CPU with 16GB of memory. I thought it would be enough to run Topaz Labs software. But I guess I am wrong.

Now knowing I need a minimum of 2GB of VRAM, so I went back to search information about the PC that I bought. I donā€™t think I could find anywhere information about the amount of VRAM (Best Buy webpage). I even checked information on Intel webpage but nowhere mention about VRAM amount. Am I missing something? VRAM info is not usually listed on product information page?

Sorry, I am really not a technical person so my question might not make sense.

Send me the link to the one you bought and I will have a look.

2 Likes

Hi AiDon,
Thanks for your help. I bought it from Best Buy Canada. Below is the link to the product page. You can scroll down to More Information and Details & Specs.

Acer Aspire C 24" Touchscreen All-in-One PC - Silver (Intel Core i7-1165G7/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/Win10) | Best Buy Canada

I also searched on Intel webpage for my particular processor. Here is the link to Intel official webpage.

IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-1165G7 Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz)

From what I can see, neither site mention anything about vRAM amount. Thanks.