It seems as though all Topaz Plugins, including Studio based plugins, now work through Affinity Photo v 184.108.40.206 up … even mask based plugins such as ReMask & Mask AI will return a useable mask to the “Background Alpha” for the passed Layer.
The recommended workflow is as follows, with the last part the way to recover the mask:
- Create a duplicate layer
- Select either a Topaz Labs plugin, or a Topaz Studio plugin
- Select OK to go back to Affinity Photo after applying the effect
Recovering the mask from ReMask or Mask AI, either invoked directly or via Topaz Studio 1:
- Select Channels
- Right-click on the Background Alpha and select “Create Mask Layer”
- That Mask Layer can either be dragged onto a pixel layer or placed above the layer you wish to mask.
Re-edit the mask in ReMask only (not Mask AI):
- You can re-edit the mask by simply calling ReMask again with the layer returned previously
NOTE: Automations (.8li) do not work in anything except Photoshop