Topaz Photo AI v2.2.2

G’day!

Happy new years! This week we’ve added several fixes around the app including freezing and crashing with large images due to thumbnails, intermittent display issues when closing images, and incorrect file size estimations during exports.

As always, a full change log is below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v2.2.2
Released January 4th, 2024
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 2.2.1

• Fixed thumbnail generation on large images causing freezing/crashing
  • Fixed incorrect image display after closing
  • Fixed incorrect file size estimations
  • Automatic lensfun update
11 Likes

Thanks for the update. It looks like you have solved the checker pattern issue – as far as I can see.
However it comes at some cost – and I get several critical memory problems.
Unfortunately it does not address an important issues I have mentioned several times such as
strange WB handling of the DNG with or without the C1 plugin.
And there is still a wish for a grain tool…

3 Likes

I don’t know where to send a bug report. Photoshop crashes when returning the image from Topaz AI when using the Topaz AI Plugin. Sending it to Topaz and applying the corrections works fine, Topaz itself doesn’t crash. All display drivers, windows updates, topaz updates, Adobe updates done. Happens in both Beta and Stable release of Adobe.

The error log you’ve shared indicates a crash in Adobe Photoshop while using the Topaz AI Plugin. The crash type is an “EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION,” which is commonly caused by illegal or faulty memory access. Key details include:

Photoshop Version: 25.3.1
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro
System Configuration: Intel Core i9-10900K, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Crash time: January 5, 2024, at 13:06:52
The stack trace mentions modules like PluginMain, boost::archive, xmlCheckHTTPInput, and ART::AssetType. This suggests the crash might be related to plugin execution, memory handling, or file processing.

To troubleshoot, consider updating Photoshop and the Topaz AI Plugin, checking for GPU driver updates, and ensuring adequate system resources are available. If the issue persists, contacting Adobe or Topaz Labs support with this crash report would be advisable.

DxDiag.txt (140.1 KB)
Adobe Crash Report.txt (31.3 KB)

Adobe Beta 25.4.0
Adobe Stable 25.3.1

I am always a bit confued when a new version appears and people complain about issues with a totally different software product. :eyes:

Trying to update from 2.1.4 doesn’t seem to work. Initial update resulted in a message that said it failed. Subsequent attempts to update from within 2.1.4 would get the Install Now button, but clicking on it simply closed the program and nothing else happened. Rebooted the computer and got the same result. Now attempting to install 2.2.2 from the full link above, rather than via update in app.

Installing from the full version link did work; the update button within the app did not work.

that’s the way I do it. Other people have complained that they have issues updating via the app.

I always manually uninstall (Mac) and update from the fresh link. IMO the in-app option should be removed, people always have problems with it.

No problem today. Example shows AI art being upscaled 6X:

4 Likes

And the totaly different software, that does crash, is a Beta.

Unfortunately the checker pattern is still there – when checked on my large monitor…

so will return to 2.07… :frowning:

As an owner of topaz photo ai and video ai for 2 years, I can say that the most exciting news is that competitor’s software is coming to surpass !

2 Likes

Very true as they have shifted their focus from Gigapixel Ai,Denoise Ai and Sharpen Ai.

1 Like

I am using PS 25.3.1 and PAI 2.2.2 here and no crash on my PC or Laptop.

I never have a problem installing it but I don’t use a Mac.

Please PM me with a list. I’ve tested some commercial competitor AI upscaling (for example) and it’s nowhere near. Facial restoration is more common among vendors. For artsy stuff you do need other apps, yes.

Problems I continue to see:

• At very high ISOs in my Z9 and Z8, I see checkerboard patterns on human faces after use of “face recovery”. The problem appears primarily when using a RAW file. It doesn’t appear when I use the exact same image, but in a TIF coming from Lightroom Classic.
  • Again at high ISOs, the noise reduction AI seems to use a lower level model even when in extremely noisy images (above 10,000 ISO). The results are full of strange artifacts. When I force it use I higher model, the artifacts are generally cleaned up.
1 Like

What is the totally different product from the PAI Ps plugin? Oh gosh, I’d better test my plugin now! I’m also running 25.3.1 (which is a commercial/production release of my host).

Win 11 Pro. PAI 2.2.2 running as plugin to Ps 2024 (rel. 25.3.1). Processor = AMD RX6800 XT. Santa Cruz, CA Boardwalk buildings.

I just processed a .tif image using the latest Ps 2024 PAI plugin and experienced no crash when saving back to a Ps layer.

Granted, I don’t have a destabilized version of Ps (that can impact the production Ps version…) installed on my PC. Adobe has said that running the Ps beta can impact performance of their production products. Topaz can’t debug their product’s perf. on Ps beta.

You’d likely have to uninstall the Ps beta if you want predictable Ps host behavior (either native or running 3rd party plugins). Ahhh, life is just a series of tradeoffs, isn’t it? (Like: try fun new features vs. “muck” up other apps). For those lucky enough to have multiple computers (one to play with, one to work reliably with) it’s probably less angst and tradeoff involved.

Using beta software, you are beta testing for them. They and me say thanks. :rofl: