Topaz Photo AI v2.2.1

G’day!

This week we’ve added a hover effect to the Object Selection Brush that will provide a preview for the mask generated when clicking the hovered point. There will be a slight delay between moving your mouse and the preview showing up. Additionally, we’ve added a fix for the ProPhoto input color shift as well as a fix for intermittent crashing during cropping.

As always, a full change log is below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v2.2.1
Released December 21st, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 2.2.0

• Added hover display to Object Selection Brush
  • Fixed color shift on ProPhotoRGB images in plugins
  • Fixed intermittent crashing with cropping
6 Likes

I’ve been emailing with tech support about the DLL error and was told the team was working on resolution. Was that in this release because I continue to receive the error after running the update through PAI.

Error

Just did the in-app update (which I don’t normally do) to 2.2.1, quick install (M2 Mac Mini, Ventura latest).

Here are the release notes as shown in that scenario, and a sample upscale (manual settings):

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 7.36.14 PM

2 Likes

@jkaethee

Hi,

I just installed this PAI 2.2.1 rel to my Win 11 PC (using as Ps 2024 plugin).

The hover on the Object Selection Brush is orders of magnitude better than the mere crosshair with no indication of where it would be applied. That said …

I still would like to request that for the Object Selection Brush, the former (tested) operations be implemented in the production version. That is, the ability to paint over a selected area, see the overlay as one is painting and then have the area designated by the overlay “Brush” strokes fill.

I can imagine instances where the hover AI approach implemented in this release might be welcomed by some users. That said, more is not necessarily better when it comes to AI functionality. In some (many) cases, user control is preferable. I find the hover approach glitchy and hyper-sensitive. If I hover, even for an instant over an unwanted area, it’s already being selected by the Object Selection Brush (e.g., the brush is being too overly “helpful”). Not everything that’s sexy is good - in tech (and elsewhere). That includes AI.

I’d like to see the tested method of painting a swath of visible overlay with the Object Selection Brush on top of areas of an image we’d like selected re-instituted for better user control and greater efficiency of selection ops.

Even if users are offered 2 options as ways to use the Object Selection Brush (hover or paint) that would be okay also.

I found the pre-production, tested method to be much more efficient (I could achieve my selections in fewer steps) and accurate and the selections weren’t so overly energetic selecting more (or less - when too literal based on the hover point) than I desired.

Thanks in advance.

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Very disappointing changelog!

1 Like

Hover display is a nice addition to the app! Thanks and Happy Holidays to all at Topaz Labs!

My TPAI licence expired with v2.1.4. Since I now only use it occasionally to remove unwanted clutter at the edge of frames, I see no point in paying to upgrade until perhaps the ability to save masks for use in other programmes becomes available, as was the case with Topaz Mask AI. I do use Topaz Sharpen AI still, even though it is no longer being updated.

Hover display to Object Selection Brush is really laggy on my PC.
Ryzen 5 3600XT + Radeon 5700XT

1 Like

The ProPhoto issue, has been fixed on my system, so that is good.

1 Like

My Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super is almost instantaneous, but I can see a slight image size increase on the preview side of the screen that returns to normal as I come off hover.

1 Like

Thought I’d try the “keep area” option with the remove feature - yes I know “remove” is still beta, but selecting a face in the keep area, PAI added a new face. LHS is the original, RHS is the new face. I was expecting the keep area option would just remove everything except the masked keep area.

Most staff are probably on vacation now.

1 Like

I noticed that in your screen capture, you have a “Use Neural Engine” button enabled. I’m using v2.21 on Windows 11, and I’ve never seen that button before. Is that just a Mac thing, or is there some setting I need to use to activate the button in Preferences? I just went through Preferences screen-by-screen, and did not see anywhere where that button could be enabled.

I found this on DPReview:

"I was curious so I sent a message to Topaz asking them if they use the Neural Engine for Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI. I got this reply:

“‘We use Neural Engine on M1 and Neural Engine + GPU on M1 Pro and M1 Max.’”

1 Like

If you select a face to remove it recognises that it is part of a person and will replace the face. You need to select both the face and the person to have it removed completely.

The Neural Engine is a Mac application only.

Sharpen seems to default to ‘100’ for minor noise, which causes speckles and other issues.
In this case, Autopilot did not select Sharpen. However when I manually enabled Sharpen, it sets minor noise was at 100.

So, what is the function of the Remove → Under Guidance → Keep Area function as opposed to the Erase Area function?

Keep area like this

Erase area will erase the foreground like this …

If you try it you will see the difference.

The Remove function works on the masked area. As you can see it is not a keep mask but a brush to select the area to work on…

“Keep area like this.”

Like what? It looks like you just zoomed in on the face.