Topaz Photo AI v2.1.4

You can also do this with Stable Diffusion inpainting without needing to run the image through Photo AI. I was kind of assuming that this is what’s going on behind the scenes actually. That Photo AI’s remove tool is using an AI model to describe the image, then inpaints with SD using that description. I had tried using it to remove a chain-link fence in front of the subject of an image once, but it just put the fence right back in.

1 Like

No idea why one would want to mask the sky for sharpening but its not good at it anyway

1 Like

Background is better if the subject is clear, but again why? Without layers we can’t use different levels of sharpening for subject and background. Seems I’d have to run it twice, once for the subject and once for the background then blend layers in Affinity Photo? I still want a version of landscape that doesn’t select water.

1 Like

Yes, you certainly can do inpainting with Stable Diffusion.

But Photo AI has been doing that more reliably for me with greater ease directly on 4K resolution images without having to scale them down first.

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Launched standalone to chk prefs then closed rel. 2.1.4. Opened to test with Ps 2024 Plugin. Processor = AMD RX6800 XT.

Working with .jpg image of a landscape that includes sky.

I downsized the original .jpg so I could see how File > Automate PAI would work as well as Filters menu in Ps.

Was able to upsize 2x in File > Automate. But, still, the upscale doesn’t just apply when I save back to the Ps layer. I have to “X” out of the msg box that’s posted in the center of my Ps workspace to get scaling and settings to apply.

Tried Filters menu PAI next.

At 1st I didn’t see a bounding box around the Remove as I was painting with the Remove Brush. It appeared when I tried a 2nd Remove to try to clean up the initial result. I’m really puzzled re: what that big, thick box represents and why it needs to be there. At first I thought, “Okay, maybe they’re trying to show what’s being used for the padding area by the Remove tool.” But, no. when I changed to the different tier options under padding that box stayed the exact same size and didn’t change to cover a smaller or larger area. I don’t see any upside to that box being there, honestly. It’s just a distraction.

• I switched to the Filters Menu PAI. It launched. Using the same image I tried the Detect Sky option. Again, I’m really puzzled re: it’s function. Plus, it doesn’t select accurately. And (if it did) there’s no way to invert it to get a clean landscape selection. Snip below. So, I tried the inverse to see how selecting the Landscape would work. Same issues as with selecting the sky. It misses any areas of sky embedded within the foliage. And there is no masking brush that allows me to cleanly segregate the sky and the foliage - the AI Brush misses edges of branches and treetops (just like others have reported happens with hair and fur). Snip below. I hate to be redundant in my questions, but what is the purpose of the sky selection option? I could see something like that (if it masked/selected accurately) in the Topaz Studio and prior days for making selective artistic effects. How does it play in PAI?

2 Likes

Yes, this is fixed. Thank you.
But the issue with saving images in portrait orientation back to Apple Photos is still there.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-08 um 09.38.53

Any update about when this will finally be fixed?

1 Like

I would love to have the option to scroll over the image via the cursor keys when zoomed in. :eyes:

1 Like

Do you know is the problem with color (ProPhoto probably) fixed?

No, it has not.

1 Like

Upgraded just fine. Glad it didn’t need to redownload the models.

Anyone else having issues with the software lagging like crazy? MacOS here. I open the software, add a photo and it freezes up, then it slowly will try to run the autopilot, but takes forever and usually requires a forced quit. I did update to the latest version

After the PAI update, my Ps crashes when I hit exit to leave Ps. I am on Win 11.

Started after the prior PAI update (2.1.3) and is doing so again this time. I haven’t updated my release of Ps in that time period.

BTW, this is the 1st I’ve seen or heard about a bounding box or sky selection. I didn’t realize they were on the long-time customer wishlist or roadmap either.

I haven’t encountered that when using stand alone or as a Plug In in Affinity Photo 2. Using Mac mini M1 (2020).

I updated successfully. When I tried to process the photo, the missing models were downloaded. then the program froze. I closed it forcibly. Now it does not even start. Mac Intel, Sonoma 14.1.2. There were the same problems with the previous version, I reinstalled it with completely uninstalling, but it didn’t help, then by some miracle everything worked next day. But what should I do now? Now it does not even start again.

Since version 2.1.1, Tapaz photo AI can not be used in my computer, the error message was “failed to load model file”
Mac mini
Apple M1
MacOS Ventura 13.6.1
2023-12-09-08-26-59.tzlog (189.9 KB)

Hi
Since I did the latest lot of updates to my Topaz photo AI, it seems that there is no difference between the ‘before’ and ‘after’ preview images, particularly when it selects to do ‘sharpen’. So I am not sure if it is still actually working.
It was not doing this before the updates, when I could see a clear difference between the original image and the update preview image.
Can you please advise what is happening?
thanks
Roland

Every once in a while that happens for me too.

It usually fixes itself (knock on wood) if I reboot my PC when that happens after an install.

If that fails, the backup plan is I reinstall.

:crossed_fingers:t3:

Thanks. I’ll try rebooting and see how I go.

So neither rebooting my PC nor reinstalling Topaz seems to have made any difference. Not sure what to do next but will keep trying. Funny that I have been using it without any issues for almost a year now, but just had this experience with the latest update…

You could uninstall it and reinstall an earlier version.

1 Like