Topaz Photo AI v2.1.0

I tested this new version. The generative deletion tool is pretty good. But there’s a downside. If I use the new tool and then validate, all the other tools are locked. I then have to undo what I’ve done with the generative deletion tool in order to regain control over the other tools. It seems to me that this is a really big bug.

In conclusion, I need to make my image refinement settings first and then, if necessary, use the object removal tool as a last resort. It would be nice if I could use it at any time and continue to use the other tools with the other one active.

Quote from Developer.

2 Likes

I tried the removing tool and finally something new and interesting which could reconciliate me with TPAI
Of course we cannot win everytime ,will always depends of the surrending background but looks promising .

2 Likes

I think you need to look through the examples posted already and in previous iterations of the tool.

It isn’t a background removal tool and any tool with decent masking can do that also.

I’m glad you are satisfied with the results as your style might suit this tool. And the convoluted way in which you need to lock the other changes needs a rethinking of the methodology being applied.

Thank you for fixing the error “Thumbnails for all CR2 and CR3 files are not displayed until I select the appropriate image”! They are now all visible.

3 Likes

I have the same behavior with my I9-9900k and the RTX 2060. Although I have explicitly selected the RTX 2060 as AI processor, the GPU is used little to not at all by the removal tool!
(Windows 11, latest Nvidia driver)

Haa. I see. So ok If this is the expected effect

Yes, I think the removal tool hasn’t optimized the performance yet. From the model folder, it seems that they are still using the OV and OX models, and there is no TensorRT model for the removal tool.

Yes, and the performance seems to be very uneven.
As there are often reports of the tool taking over a minute (!!) while it’s only few seconds here even with the maximum of 50 steps.

I think the results are pretty crazy :hushed:. I was able to clean up the part of the fence that was bothering me in this photo. I was able to remove it completely and evenly without leaving any residual trace.

Before

After

4 Likes

However, as the tool is in beta, it still leaves a small trace visible when zoomed in.

1 Like

After clicking on the update available button the update details pop up and I press the “Update button” The download starts - I get about 10MB and then get an error:
Using Windows 11 on a desktop.
Had the same error message last week with the previous update on my windows 11 laptop. Can’t find any way around it other than to go to the download page on this webpage and download from there…

Ok, by ironing on the edges of the residual marks, I managed to blend so that I didn’t see any remnants and it was more uniform.

2 Likes

Personally, I always take the installation file from the download page. It also allows me to keep a copy of the file in case I need to reinstall for X or Y reason.

We are working on the trt.

3 Likes

Love the remove tool! Great job! I’ve been using stable diffusions inpainting module to remove stuff recently but this is great and works on high resolution images.

If its not already in the works one thing that would be quite nice is a subject detection switch that will automask subjects or objects, then we can refine with a brush afterwards. This is a quality of life feature and not “needed” but would greatly speed up the workflow.

Also, this needs to be said, the remove tool has some very un-ethical capabilities, Ie, removing clothes from individuals and filling them in with body parts. THIS has to be addressed somehow. re-train your models without nudity perhaps?

1 Like

Remove works but it’s too slow for me. The first time it took 3+ minutes and the second time 2 minutes 50 seconds. This type of removal is much, much faster in PSP, Affinity Photo 2 and ON1 so I know it’s possible on my system.

PhotoAIRemove

2 Likes

I think there’s a tool tip that says that’s how Remove works (at this point).

Photoshop remove is faster on my PC too. I hope there’s a way to goose the spd of the PAI processing, also. My removes are generally faster than yours. But no where near some people’s claimed “seconds”. I see closer to 30-60 seconds with some longer outliers.

1 Like

Julian,

I highly recommend you do not do your updates from within the app. I like to treat the in app alerts as a heads up. Then I download the installer from the top of Product Releases threads like this one.

It:

• ensures I get the most up-to-date installer with latest fixes
  • lets me hang onto a few generations of installers in case I want to roll back. i’m win 11 too
  • brings me to the discussion thread to see if anything I should be aware of usage-wise based on others’ comments.