Topaz Photo AI v2.0.4

G’day!

This week we’ve redesigned the preferences panel and added a few new preferences that should enhance your workflow. Besides that we have a lot of other fixes around the app that include improved performance during exporting as well as more informative dialog, tooltip and error messages. We’ve also added an opt-in feature for uploading images to improve Topaz Photo AI models which can be enabled/disabled on a per-batch basis.

As always, a full change log is below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v2.0.4
Released October 5th, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 2.0.3:

• Re-designed Preferences panel to be easier to navigate
  • Added preference to have Autopilot never turn on any filters automatically
  • Added preference to enable “hot pixel” removal for RAW images
  • Added tooltip when there are no faces in the subject due to no subject being selected
  • In-app updating shows download progress in the title bar and no longer closes the app automatically when it’s complete
  • Improved performance when switching images and exporting with large batches
  • Autopilot now recommends the Sharpen Standard v2 model
  • Show errors when DNG cannot be written
  • Resolution preferences always appear unless auto resizing is set to none
  • Minor tweaks to the new update dialog
  • Added new export setting to allow uploading images to improve Topaz Photo AI. The setting is opt-in by default, and applies on a per-batch basis.
  • Added new privacy section in preferences
  • Fixed using “apply settings to all” causing images to display the wrong number of selected faces
  • Fixed save and cancel buttons in export dialog make the enter/return and escape hotkeys stop working
  • Fixed images not loading when closing batch and opening new one
  • Fixed right clicking while editing crop
  • Fixed errors installing plugins preventing entire app from installing
  • Fixed some grayscale RAW images saving incorrectly
  • Fixed windows showing previously selected filename in the file browser
  • Removed some old and unused models from the installer
14 Likes

I was watching for this latest update! :wink:

2020 M1 MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.1b2

I deleted the 2.0.3 app and downloaded the 2.0.4 installer from this thread.

Installed fine, then I had the familiar and ongoing problem of:

1. Not being able to move the GUI around on the screen (it flickers). Cannot bring to the top of the screen, there is a gap (see below). Also happened previously on my M2 Mini.

1. When I open an image, it does not display. It showed as Recent. Clicking Recent did nothing – until I went to take a screenshot, then all of a sudden the image opened.

After that, nothing responds or responds very slowly, GUI still cannot be moved. Generating Preview never finishes.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 4.09.31 PM

This is all after a second install which also involved another round of model downloads.

On a 2017 Intel iMac running Ventura, no such issues.

Updating in place on the M2 Mini (Ventura). I thought the installer crashed while downloading models (it went poof) but the relaunched app says 2.0.4

GUI is behaving normally, can be moved and resized.

1 Like

Sorry my mistake.

In previous version, when I was loading multiple pictures, like 20, it would crash after some time and had to restart all my work that took hours to do.
Now in this version, it is not closing by itself but it do just hang and we cannot use the application anymore.
Is there an incoming option to recover the work lost after a crash like most of the application have? Like a RECOVER FROM LAST SESSION.
That shouldn’t be a big deal, you record any input in a log in live then if that log is not closed, at the fist run of the program it do check if there is unclosed log and then propose to load from there. That would be a very huge improvement.
Thanks
2023-10-06-09-22-59.tzlog (7.4 MB)

Thanks for the additional preference features and reorganization; very easy to understand. Perhaps it’s my eyes or my monitor, but I would prefer a slightly greater difference (boldness) in the text indicating which item is selected in the preference panel.

2 Likes

I discovered that I can utilize Preserve Text for tricky patterns. This image couldn’t be enhanced because of the checkered shirt on the man in the middle. I found that by painting the shirt with the Selecting Text brush, the image could be enhanced. I had noticed this worked on another image where I was having trouble preserving some detail.

The shirt goes from a blank front to the distinctive checkered pattern with Preserve Text. Olé!

16 Likes

Upgrade to V2.0.x made the tool to very sluggish. Virtually unworkable. McOS Sonoma 14.0 on Apple iMac M1. It was working better before version 2.0. I have the latest Topaz AI.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m on Windows, but I noticed that too on occasions. It would keep processing and wouldn’t stop processing. What I did was move the image preview with the hand tool, then it processed as normal.

1 Like

No such luck for me. I hope they fix this soon. I used love this tool.

I’m finding TP AI is significantly sharpening images when I let autopilot choose the parameters and strengths. I simply back it off and then render. I like this program very much.

That new option “Improve Topaz Photo AI” is very annoying. Why if I disable sending data in options it is still showing in Save dialog and annoying from time to time asking again to send data? There should be the way to disable it once for all?

2 Likes

Does anyone know why Topaz photo ai exports is producing this blue tint? Any help much appreciated

P.s. using Windows 11 pro and have updated all drivers.

Why does Photo AI hate high-contrast scenes? Look how it adds a shadow behind the text, when there should be none.
And I’m not on v2 yet because I tried it and as far as I can tell the models are exactly the same

Topaz has always used algorithms that result in halos around high contrast edges. If you don’t pixel peep it results in a sharper looking image. Of all their recent models High Definition is the least affected by the visible artifacts in their approach, so that’s what I typically default to.

When I want to significantly sharpen an image without inducing halos I use Local Contrast Enhancement (Photoshop Unsharp Mask, Amount 20%, Radius 30 pixels, Threshold 0)

1 Like

Agreed. It feels less convoluted & dense to absorb and more understandable.

And, the privacy-related options that were not obvious in a release a while back (that provoked much “conversation”) is now well-labelled and visible for anyone who reviews their preferences, with each update, to easily set according to their wishes.

1 Like

Thx for your formula. I will try this for comparison (I’ve typically used Smart Sharpen).

1 Like

Do you get different/same results if you activate Text Preserve and mask (to indicate) the text elements of your images? I see you don’t have it turned on in your snip.

For medium sharpening with Local Contrast Enhancement it’s Photoshop Unsharp Mask, Amount 12%, Radius 66 pixels, Threshold 0.

For light sharpening it’s Photoshop Unsharp Mask, Amount 5%, Radius 100 pixels, Threshold 0

3 Likes

Thx for the add’l. info!

Text Preserve helps (not 100%) but this issue is not strict to text only, it happens on most images (it’s most visible in black and white ones)

1 Like