Topaz Photo AI v1.3.9

Hello!

For this week we have taken the beta Remove Noise models out of beta. They will now replace the previous Normal and Strong models, and the old Strong is kept and re-labeled as Extreme.

In the background there was a large overhaul of the engine that runs the processing of images. We have not run into any new issues but if you run into strange behavior please let us know. There should not be much different for now but this allows us to more easily add stuff in the future. The main user-facing change this adds is that now exporting will use the cache if possible which should drastically speed up exports for images you’ve already previewed.

As always the full change log can be found below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.3.9
Released June 15th, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.3.8:

• Remove Noise models are now out of beta.
    • Strong is now Extreme
    • Normal v2 and Strong v2 are now just Normal and Strong
  • The app should now block the computer sleeping while process on Windows
  • Uninstaller should now fully clean up all registry values on Windows
  • Fixed Ctrl+W not closing the image the first time on Windows
  • Mac installer will now request additional permissions to try to avoid installation issues when downloading models
  • Appending model names to exported files will now include the scale information on Enhance
    • For example, -enhance-1.5x when using scale 1.5, -enhance-1000w when using width = 1000, etc
  • Fixed processing stopping when exporting runs into an error
  • Added a new more specific error message if an image does not exist anymore when attempting to save

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    • To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
6 Likes

:+1:

:+1:

Nice release!

5 Likes

Feature Request: If possible, I’d like to see settings used in PAI recorded to Metadata.

1 Like

Since upgrading to 1.3.9 I get many “Error: Could not run model” I’ve been using Photo AI for many months and have never gotten this error before 1.3.9. When I retry, a few work, but even after a reboot, some photos give the same error.

4 Likes

Does it happen only with specific models? I would recommend maybe trying a reinstall and see if it persists. Posting logs may also be helpful for debugging.

Please note that the MSI installer doesn’t clean up by deleting the installer after the install:

3 Likes

2023-06-15-18-00-31.tzlog (191.3 KB)
Topaz Photo AI Installer Log.txt (1.5 MB)
Here is install log and the log for 2 photos that received the error. One was Remove Noise - Normal and the other was Enhance Resolution - Low Resolution. Both on Autopilot.

Unable to process an ARW file. Model failed.
2023-06-15-19-24-32.tzlog (11.0 KB)

Mac Ventura 13.5, Mac Mini M1

This was setting the model to Lens Blur. Worked fine with Standard, although preview indicated Len Blur would look best.

At what point are you getting these errors? Is it while previewing, and are you doing anything else at the time or is it just while exporting? Are you able to get it to work by moving the preview and/or restarting the export?

Looking at the code it seems like that error is only raised when the output from the model is empty, so need to find out why that’s happening.

1 Like

If this is a screenshot of your temp directory, we rely on that being cleared by the system at some point.

We can probably add a step to clean it up afterwards.

2 Likes

I get the error on the final export. Preview works normally. I tried to upload the 2 photos but they are TIFF files and I’m not allowed to upload them. I am using Lightroom Classic and I’m sending to Photo AI TIFF files which are produced after some adjustments and cropping of the .ARW file.

Thanks for the information. If you can’t get past it at all then I can recommend downgrading to 1.3.8. for now. I’ll take a look to see if I can reproduce tomorrow.

Hi Adam, would be nice if it could be cleaned up as on Windows the cleanup is manual.

Has the Turing Noise Reduction problem been fixed that others reported recently. I notice that the v1.3.8 + v1.3.9 make no mention of a fix or known problem. Now that you’ve removed the original Noise Reduction v1 I can’t use v1.3.9 as it creates very bad artefacts on some images (not shareable for confidentiality reasons but I note that others have sent images).

I uninstalled an earlier release, checked in Registry Editor for Topaz AI entries per a forum note (not present). GPU is an NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti.

Hi Adam M
Thank you for the Topaz Photo AI v 1.3.9
The Denoise is much faster, than ewer, and best of all, it works :smile:

Best regards from
Kaj Sorensen DK

Scenario: I batch process with the MBP via LR on the soccer field to send directly to the team for posting. I find there is no way to set the sharpening to lens blur so it automatically remembers the setting when I send AI a batch of photos. Instead with each batch sent, I have to go in and reset AI to the settings I prefer before I apply. This takes precious time which I cannot afford when under a time crunch to deliver photos. The standalone version of Denoise for example did remember how I wanted the files to be processed. I need the ability to have AI remember my preferred settings for all processing aspects. Ver 1.3.9

1 Like

I have deleted and reinstalled v1.3.9, but am still getting an error message when I run either the lens blur or motion blur models.
Using as a standalone on a Mac Mini M1 16GB, Ventura 13.5, Auto.

2023-06-16-06-32-46.tzlog (367.2 KB)

I keep getting this error for 99% of the photos I am trying to process. This started with the v1.39 update. I have reinstalled, same errors. MacBook Pro late 2018 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9, 32gb ram, 1TB drive. The Sharpen Models listed in my app are Standard, Strong, Lens Blur and Motion Blur. I see no Extreme?

Mark

When you say “13.5”, you seem to be referring to the OS beta (?). If so, perhaps this is contributing to the issue.

I run the 14.0 beta on one laptop and get non-Topaz issues with other software that weren’t present in 13.4.

1 Like