Topaz Photo AI v1.3.7

This latest release with updated autopilot is a disaster for me. I find everything is over de-noised to the extent that the image is not useable. Skin is flattened and over-smoothed. Details are removed. I have to go back and manually adjust every setting for every photo. This makes it rough for batch editing people images.

3 Likes

Hello! I havenā€™t updated in a while. Just now hit the update option and it stalls at the end. Any suggestions?

Claudia -

1- Is your acct active for updates (I hesitate to say ā€œyour subscriptionā€)?
2- Have you tried downloading/running the installer thatā€™s appropriate to your OS (Win, Mac) from the top of this post vs clicking on ā€œupdateā€ in app? If not, can you try doing so (making sure no host apps (Ps, Lr, ON1, DxO, etc.) are open while youā€™re running the install?
3- What are your system specs?

I was excited to see the new RAW handling capabilities in v1.3.7, however, the enthusiasm was short lived. Hereā€™s what I think about this feature:

1. Itā€™s nice that the resulting DNG is automatically found in LR. With the EDIT IN method I had to delete the generated tiff and then import the new, feature named tiff.
  2. I donā€™t like that the DNG is larger than the tiff, this is annoying
  3. I donā€™t like that the DNG was darker than the tiff, this is a deal breaker
  4. I donā€™t like the naming convention on the DNG. Iā€™ve gotten used to having the features invoked being a part of the name, it helps me keep track of whatā€™s been done on an image.

Hi Eric - if you can send me your logs from the freezing session, thatā€™d be helpful. You can find them in Help > Open Log Folder. Thank you.

You know, software isnā€™t magic :joy:. You canā€™t just push a button and get the settings right the first time. It always takes a minimum of manual adjustments to get the final quality just right.

2 Likes

@yazi.saradest Uploading Scanning Text From my Epson 4760 All in one All Res. included :slight_smile:

1 Like

One issue that I had highlighted earlier still continues. When jpegs are being edited, the output file is two to three times smaller in size. Where is the quality being compromised? Also, when NEF files are edited, the output files are all the same sizeā€¦124.1mb irrespective of input file size. Why is there an almost five times increase in size in case of raw files, and why are they all the same size?

just wanted to let you know that the remove noise normal v2 still isnā€™t working. I downloaded the update last Friday. I havenā€™t tried strong v2.

Noise in an image is random false detail. Random data cannot be compressed as easily as predictable data, thus compressed jpegs with noise will be larger than those without noise.

You can experiment with this yourself: apply a Gaussian blur on your image with noise ā€“ just a slight amount to make the noise disappear ā€“ and save as a jpeg at the same quality as the original. Youā€™ll also see the file size decrease in a similar manner, as the image was made more predictable for the compressor. In this case, the fact that detail is removed is obvious.

Noise reduction ā€“ such as through this product ā€“ is doing the same thing from the compressorā€™s perspective: reducing the detail in the image, making it more regular and predictable. But in this case itā€™s designed to just remove the false detail and retain the real detail.

My assumption from running the numbers is that the output DNG file is just pure uncompressed pixels. An RGB image at 16-bits-per-channel corresponds with 6-bytes-per-pixel, implying you have a 20.6MP image sensor. Does that sound about right? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The Detect Subject is quite confusing ā€¦

Original ARW

DNG Generated by DXO Pure RAW ā€¦

What is the default subject?

Seems that RAW remove noise and Sharpen standard is still blurring the image/detail. This is a low-light APS-C image shot at ISO5000:

It can be corrected though by using the Lens Blur sharpening model.

4 Likes

ā€œIt can be corrected though by using the Lens Blur sharpening model.ā€

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m happy the ā€˜legacyā€™ sharpening models are back as standard options. I use Move Blur sharpening as well.

1 Like

When the AI is confused (recognizing different objects) it should simply tell the user to select the subject.

I used a Sony 17.3 MB raw file and saved as a DNG and it is indeed very large at over 91 MB. If all your raw files are from the same camera then they are all the same size (unless cropped) so would expect them to have the same size DNG.

I find that leaving the Raw remove noise off is the best option. Enhance resolution and Sharpen do a much better job.

tried to restore an old 2014 LG phone picture. its nightmare fuel even just with noise on and all the other features off.

Not for an ISO5000 image out of a APS-C A6400 camera. :slight_smile:

Solved now****

Iā€™ve just bought Photo AI and downloaded v1.3.7. Unfortunately, the software wonā€™t install. The installation fails at the download AI modules stage. Iā€™m on a MacBook pro m1 Ventura 13.3.1.

Please help.

Solvedā€¦

I had to grant access to the Installer to have full access to the disk. I wasnā€™t prompted when Installing, so I had to do this manually. Then it worked.

Did you try contacting Topaz Support at the main Topaz Labs website re: this?

1 Like