Topaz Photo AI v1.3.7

Hello!

This week introduces a few model changes for Remove Noise and Sharpen. Remove Noise v2 models are now out of initial beta and will now be recommended by Autopilot. For Sharpen, the legacy models preference has been removed and the old models re-instated. We have tweaked Autopilot to recommend the Lens Blur Sharpen model in cases where we’ve found they should perform better. Likewise, Remove Noise v2 has had Autopilot updates as well.

As always the full change log can be found below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

We’ve recently added the ability to post RAW files under 65MB in the forum. If you are okay with your image being posted in this thread publicly you are free to do so. You are also free to go through our dropbox if you do not want to post publicly.

v1.3.7
Released June 1st, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.3.6:

• Removed legacy models setting from preferences
  • Autopilot can now recommend the older Sharpen Lens Blur model again
  • Remove Noise v2 models have dropped their beta tag and are now recommended by default by Autopilot
  • Added Nvidia GPU models for Remove Noise v2 models
  • Changed close image shortcut to be Ctrl+W instead of Ctrl+F4 on Windows
  • Selecting Custom aspect ratio will now automatically unlock the aspect ratio while cropping
  • Fixed issue where only half of face would be recovered in some cases
  • Fixed Close Image shortcut only being able to close one image on Windows

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
7 Likes

Photo AI still creates a vignette on images shot with my Canon G7x MKIII.

5/4 edit compared to todays version. Older version much much better.

Remove Noise: Normal vs. Normal v2.

Normal produces better results with no artifacts… at least in the original hi-res TIF.

I doubt Photo AI is adding vignettes to images.

I’m also wondering why you posted the second image when it is just a crop of the first image…

1 Like

Except it does add the vignette. All I did was go from LR to photo Ai and the result is what you see.

No. A quick google search gave me this. And it’s likely your issue as well:

G7x raws need lens correction : At WA, the lens is wider than the 24mm advertised, but does not cover the whole sensor. Some post processing software (LR for example) apply the lens correction automatically.

4 Likes

They are now broken and generate the error “Could Not Run Model”.
RTX 2070 Super

p.s.
Updated from 531.68 Nvidia driver to today’s hot fix 536.09 without resolving the issue.

2 Likes

Photo AI didn’t add the vignette to the image; it is the actual image that the camera sensor sees. This is common for pocket-size P&S cameras as the lens’s image circle is not large enough to cover the entire sensor at the wide end. These cameras have built-in lens correction to fix the lens distortion and crop the edges.

You can send the image to the Dropbox link in the first post so that the developer can fix and apply the correct lens profile to those images.

2 Likes

Thanks for the new version. Very interesting: it looks like Remove Strong v2 which is chosen for high image noise, removes too many details if applied with autopilot settings. With Normal v2, I get quite decent – also if I reduce the strength in Strong v2 from the recommended value of around 45 to below 20.

results.

I am getting awful results with the v2 denoise models. Those water-colored streaks appear when I try to denoise high noise images. This is ISO 25600 from Sony a7IV image with Strong v2 on autopilot.

2 Likes

Hi Ray - can you please send me the image through Dropbox?

Hi - if you could send us the original image, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Dropbox

Hi - are you consistently running into this error on both v2 models? If you can recreate the error again, and send me your logs from Help > Open Log Folder, that’d be helpful. Thank you.

Appreciate Autopilot’s now-incorporated recommendation of Lens Blur sharpening model; I’d found that I’d usually needed to override to Lens Blur to get a preferable rendition of my images (usually bird photos) when applying Photo AI.

1 Like

Can the preferences options add the ability for Autopilot noise reduction to use Normal rather than Normal v2? As others have mentioned, getting poor results on the new default v2.

Done, thanks.

1 Like

Hi
I’ve been lucky to get one of the new Nikon Z8 cameras and have a problem with processing the Z8 Raw files. Not sure if its Topaz Photo AI, but I believe it is. When I process the Z8 Raw File through Topaz Photo AI for noise reduction and sharpening the .dng file created by Topaz is not recognised by Lightroom or Photoshop and therefore for me its unusable. I can process these files in ACR the later using Tapas Photo AI as a filter. Can you help me with is ?
Regards
Gunther

That’s becoming a issue for that camera, and apparently it’s a Windows rights issue…