Topaz Photo AI v1.3.6

Hello!

This week is a fairly small update compared to other weeks while we work on larger changes in the background. The biggest forward facing change is that we’ve added hotkeys for switching images (Left and Right arrow keys). We also fixed artifacts in the Enhance filter under very specific circumstances involving closing and re-opening the same image after panning.

There should also be some metadata fixes involving tags that would have generated warnings and thus copied incorrectly. For instance, if you had a long Keywords tag being saved to a JPEG, the JPEG’s IPTC metadata chunk could only store the first 64 characters of it. Issues like this should be resolved.

You can find a list of the rest of the changes in the list below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

We’ve recently added the ability to post RAW files under 65MB in the forum. If you are okay with your image being posted in this thread publicly you are free to do so. You are also free to go through our dropbox if you do not want to post publicly.

v1.3.6
Released May 25th, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.3.5:

• Added hotkeys for switching between images (Left and Right arrow keys, also located under View menu)
  • On1 files should no longer trigger the invalid file warning dialog
  • Fixed issue where keywords would be truncated when saving to formats that use IPTC metadata
  • Fixed some specific steps causing artifacts in Enhance models

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
7 Likes

I hope the crashes from the previous versions 1.3.5 and 1.3.4 are fixed even if you didn’t mention those.

1 Like

Here is the before, post processed, in DxO

Here is the after, complete auto-pilot in TPAI 1.3.6, which seemed to be perfect settings, tweaking did not improve image. Very surreal 3D depth effect with the sharpening. Bravo!

However, although with the new 4x32GB memory at its max stable 3800mhz DDR4 (rated for 4000mhz but runs at only 3800mhz but a lot of high benchmarks with this ram are 3800mhz), the computer does not crash and power off, there is loud coil whine somewhere around the CPU or memory capacitors with certain operations such as scanning/initializing the image and probably strong sharpening. The only other time this seems to happen is when doing the database operations test in PerformanceTest.

Computer mobo OR PSU may be wearing out or trying that mismatched ram from before (4x 32 gb (2x16gb) kits) damaged the mobo :cold_sweat: .

I’ve had so many crashes with Photo AI I rarely use it. When I do I unconsciously hold my breath. I usually do the best I can with Paintshop Pro unless the image requires more.

building on the arrow hotkeys, what is really needed is a ‘copy/paste’ adjustments to individual images. Not all images need to have the same adjustments using the apply all feature.

1 Like

i find it extremely stable on my system, virtually no crashes. i have windows 11 with a nvidia 2060 RTX.

I’m always amazed by that 3D-like depth appearance too! And, have mentioned it for my photos in past releases. I agree with you that it’s cool! We can always blur parts of an image, for effect, when desired.

What are your system specs? PC or MAC? If PC WIn10 or WIN11? CPU? GPU? Video driver up to date?

I’m running WIN10 22H2, 32GB, Intel 13700K CPU and Asus RTX 3070 TI GPU with latest video driver. Never crashed.

3 Likes

win 11, 32G, i7 12700, RTX3070TI, latest driver
Try to adjust the v2 beta denoise model, and at the same time some sharpness …
it still crashes with this new version

Still seeing that Autopilot settings for noise reduction on RAW images are too aggressive, but detail recovery is much better.

Obviously there’s some that the app isn’t happy about. I would post your issue on “bugs and issues” forum. Topaz support and engineers monitor it.

1 Like

Hello!

Face Recovery gives me extremely strange eyes on some faces when there are larger reflections there.

It almost looks like each eye has two deformed pupils or is squinting:

It almost reminds me of this spooky scene :wink::
TheMummy

How I can preprocess the eyes to avoid this?

2 Likes

I nevber experienced crashes before, but now I am!

1 Like

I deleted your duplicate post in the other person’s thread. Either raise a bug report thread so support can get on it or upload your logs and system specifications here for the dev.

version 1.3.6 still has the same artifact problems as versions 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 with the “High Fidelity” filter. But the standard version works better.

Here’s the original
20230517_094109.dng (43.6 MB)
Use in Lightroom and send as a Tiff file in Photo Ai

denoise beta models are really unstable. Even on tiff files. AI photo crash after a number of preview calculations while navigating in different areas of the image. I thought it would be corrected in this version, but it’s not :angry:.
2023-05-27-16-44-29.tzlog (1.7 MB)
crashpad.zip (464.2 KB)

1 Like

Why is it that Photo AI stopped copying over the GPS metadata? I primary use it as a Lightroom plugin “Edit in” the resulting file has no GPS. It has been like this for a few versions now. Any ideas?

It is definitely crashing like there is no tomorrow. Very unstable

Awful, but are you sure this is not coming from Noise or Sharpen modules instead? You have some mega strong sharpen applied.

The input looks very confusing to me, so I’m not surprised it tricked the AI. There are some big black patches in the eyes like that should not be there at all. Some things are just well beyond salvaging