Topaz Photo AI v1.3.1

Try using PNG instead of JPG. I find less banding with that file format.

1 Like

Theyā€™re turned off by default. Go to Preferences > General > Legacy Modelā€¦ turn on/save.

1 Like

Thank YOU steven. That did the trick. Now I can see them and Iā€™ve re-done a couple of images and it appears the old functionality is now back. Yipeee

Yes, itā€™s back, you just need to enable the display of these models in the application settings

So thatā€™s actually an AI render I created, approx 1500 pixels vertically, the face is a small portion of entire image which is from the knees to above head/face. This is a typical (I think) Upscale opportunity and for the most partā€¦ without any noise/sharpening/face enhancementā€¦ itā€™s okā€¦

Andā€¦ to be 100% fair here, I went back to Gigapixel and tried same image and you know what? it (GP) does NOT do as good job at basic resolution enhancement. Gigapixel output looks more like if I turned on the noise or sharpening feature of Photo AI. Kind of wet painterly effect.

AI does, to be honest here, a better basic job here and I think after seeing the results again since not using for a few months, Gigapixel can be retired for me. I did not mess with the other 2 apps again at this time.

But that still doesntā€™ totally explain why the face enhancement or noise reduction or sharpeningā€¦ is just unacceptable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the end, I ended up with a 6144 px (vertical) image from a 1500 image that, is not bad.

I DID have to turn on noise reduction and keep at 1 strength (out of 100) and 1 detail (out of 100) because for some reason with this offā€¦ the hair had a weird artifact pattern with a very sharp cuttoff angle. 1 and 1 seemed to quiet that down. But I do not like the halo/sharpening effect and a BIG loss of detail this also introducedā€¦ but it was the best trade-off here.

So questions I have going forward is

1. why is noise reduction at 1 + 1 (out of 100) so powerful and even introduces a halo sharpening effect?

2. Why does face enhancement have to be turned off?

3. Why does sharpening actually turn the images into oil paint effect?

I have used this on real photos as well and same things have been noticed.

Ok yesā€¦ this actually DOES do a basic upscale to 2 x or 4x much much better than gigpixel does. Just have to shut everything off to keep things looking clean and sharp.

But the extra tweaking featuresā€¦ are not working very well and need some serious artists and photographers to beta test and help this app along. Right now itā€™s heading in a troubling direction considering the price.

I am currently using an android app that does, ā€¦ almostā€¦ as good a job as this app does at cost of $4.00 ā€¦ upscale to 4x or 8x (10,000 pixels or more in some cases) times and enhancementā€¦

The downside is takes about 4-6 mins on an s23 ultra to work on a starting 2048 px imageā€¦ so have to be patientā€¦ which is why I come back to this 1 PC app from time to time.

as this dumb forum wont let me ask a new questionā€¦
are the sharpenings done in my computer or at somewhere else?
In China?
how many copies are distributed and where?
is there a free trial?
thanks fellow sufferers

are the sharpenings done in my computer or at somewhere else?
In China?

Itā€™s done locally on your computer. The software works entirely offline. Disconnect from the Internet (or use software to limit outbound connections from applications) if you are concerned about this.

is there a free trial?

There is. I believe you can just download from the link at the top of this thread and it will launch in trial mode until you activate it. Wonā€™t allow you to save your enhanced images.

1 Like

is the download complete or a link to download files?
our windows 10 computer does not connect to the internet.
downloading the file with a cromebook.
thanks

Installer for Mac keeps crashing and sending error reports to meā€¦for both v1.2 and v1.3.1.
HELP!

Over the last 3-4 updates Iā€™m increasingly getting the following error message when saving a processed RAW file: ā€œFailed to process photo. Topaz Photo AI either failed to start or did not finish successfully. Exit Code 3221225477ā€.

Opened RAW files [Panasonic RW2 & Ricoh DNG] through Plug In Extras in latest Lightroom Classic. When I exit and save [even with default Autopilot values] the file appears to successfully save when viewed in LRCC but always gives the error code.

It initially started only when batch processing 3+ files but has increasingly got worse with each update. It now gives the error code with almost every single file opened, processed and saved.

This issue should be resolved in next weekā€™s update.

3 Likes

@christian_p_schaefer @AiDon

Thank you for the feedback! We would love to investigate why the Strong sharpen model is failing in these use cases. If you would be willing to share either these or similar images on our Dropbox, we can take a closer look!

Have you tried Enhance with a 1x scaling factor? It does not increase the size, but it is still processed.

Iā€™ve tried several text to image and text to illustrated AI fonts outputs myself using PAI. My rationale, as a tester, was that more & more users (like you & I) would want to use processing software for that as they avail themselves of the various AI tools out there. My thoughts were that it might be worthwhile training models to cope with such AI images. Because PAI should work with both photographic & plain old graphic (POG) artā€¦

Anyone interested in buying Photo AI that doesnā€™t own it yet: The current $40 off sale ends TODAYā€¦

1 Like

When I use Photo Ai as a Lightroom plugin, it seems impossible to start on another image when PAi is still processing the first one. If I try to place the second image inti PAi it will put it in a queue, but the PNG for either images will not appear in LR. I have to start placing each one separately in PAI again to get LR to show me a PNG and athe original ORF.

That is right, only 1 instance can be started at a time. Using either the plugin or edit in you can select multiple images and export to Photo AI and they will appear both in Photo AI where you can check the settings and on Save they will appear back in LR.

Done A7302299 (Focus).ARW uploaded today. Don.

I love the final rendering quality with the scaling on plant pictures

The rendering is very pretty

1 Like