Topaz Photo AI v1.2.8

Photography is one of the most dramatic arts. I have no problem with the dramatic description of events. It is better to raise your tolerance threshold a little higher. It seems that you feel obligated to give everyone the answer, or maybe you think that you are too smart or know everything.

I canā€™t save the image after editing it in Photo AI. I get a message saying "Cannot save image, unknown error. Iā€™ve completely uninstalled, deleted the plug-in from the Lightroom Classic appdata folder & reinstalled. My subscription expired on March 5th but it was my understanding I would be able to continue the use the software, just wouldnā€™t get updates.
Photo AI 1.2.8, Windows 11

2023-03-27-19-44-47.tzlog (177.4 KB)
2023-03-27-19-46-59.tzlog (65.5 KB)
2023-03-27-19-48-29.tzlog (1.7 MB)
2023-03-27-19-36-38.tzlog (945.3 KB)

DxDiag.txt (94.1 KB)

File ā†’ Plug-In Extras ā†’ Process with Topaz Photo AI method. Also get the same error when opening directly into Photo AI. When using the edit in method the edited file thats gets saved back to Lightroom Classic has no edits from Photo AI applied.

What has that got to do with what you were asking, I didnā€™t reply to you because you were one post below the solution to your issue.

Note that, unfortunately, people donā€™t take time to search for the issue that is why we have to provide a solution (the same) on a written reply to most.

It has nothing to do with photography ā€¦ itā€™s best if you keep your comments to yourself because you havenā€™t added at all to the conversation about the issue you are experiencing which is the same as as others are.

This is a personal reply to correct your ignorance ā€¦

I certainly donā€™t know everything but I do give answers to help people who need a solution to issues they are facing.

As for your dramatic statement ā€¦

ā€œPhotography is one of the most dramatic arts.ā€

Why would you need software to modify your photographs if they are art? Isnā€™t the AI software the artist and NOT you? If it was such an art to you you would only photograph in JPEG because you wouldnā€™t need to modify your art.

1 Like

Overall Topaz itā€™s working really good and doing itā€™s job. I have only one issue I really have to announce.

In my case, itā€™s not crashing, however, the face recovering itā€™s being a big issue.

Something seems to have changed in terms of the preview. Before there was a noticeable difference when you view the original versus the enhanced. Now it seems like hardly anything has changed. Is there something Iā€™m not doing correctly now? Thanks. Still a great product!!

Update:

This M2 Mini was originally set up with a migrated user account from another computer (Admin) and a new user account (me, also Admin).

Under my fresh admin account I could not install Photo AI. Today I tried again from the other user account and it worked!

Then I logged in as myself remotely (shared screen) and tested PAI on a large group shot scanned from a medium format negative on a flatbed transparency scanner, with results not as sharp as (for instance) running a 35mm neg through a Nikon film scanner, so it needed help.

The original file was 169 megs, the amazing facial recovery output in the same format (JPEG) was about 45 megs! That is good, since the originals are impractically large (there are many of them), but I wonder what happened, I was not able to find where I could control JPEG output quality.

Here is an example of the cleanup, with a half-processed face right up front for some reason (PAI found 129/133 faces):

When further tweaked in Photoshop for tones, Topaz Studio 2 with AI Clear and downsized a bit, the final result is a major improvement.

1 Like

Same here, ladyiota - mine crashes as soon as I load a png file. Windows 11.

Have been using Photo AI a lot and itā€™s been great. However, with version 1.2.8 everything has become over processed, Iā€™m having to use Denise AI as the Photo AI results are unusable.

Tim

2 Likes

I just read AiDonā€™s reply to your message and was astounded by his suggestion, which basically meant, that those who want to use the software offline should install the previous version. Now, when I purchased the software, nobody told me that I should be online to use it. And those who want to use it offline should not be forced to use an outdated version of the software they paid full price for.

Now, the description of the latest version 1.2.9 mentions that this issue has been fixed, I hope that now we can continue using the software offline as before.

1 Like

I agree.

On a 5+ hour flight yesterday, I wanted to settle in and explore VAI at greater length. Unitedā€™s in-flight web access was down. Imagine my delight (/s) when VAI wouldnā€™t save anything because it couldnā€™t phone home. Da Vinci Resolve, Affinity Photo, Luminar all ran fine.

There are plenty of occasions when I want to run my apps without online access. Topaz needs to work out an authentication scheme that allows off-line use, period.

If you read the replies you would understand that it was a known issue with that version. I am astounded that you are astounded that a interim solution was proposed so that people could continue their work.

Now, if you have read the new releases you would know v1.2.9 is out and that problem no longer exists.

See the attached dxdiag.
DxDiag.txt (150.4 KB)