Topaz Photo AI v1.2.8

Hello!

This week we have updated the camera profile mappings of lots of different cameras. This means that for some images where the colors seemed dull or incorrect, there is potential for them to be fixed now. There is still work being done on updating the profiles for all supported cameras but that will take a bit more time. For the moment if you have images that do not load with correct colors we would appreciate if you could send us examples.

Besides profiles we’ve also fixed a few annoying bugs and made various small UI tweaks. More information can be found in the change log below.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.2.8
Released March 23, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.2.7:

• Removed “Help Improve Autopilot” preference
    – Turning the preference on will no longer upload in any version of Photo AI
  • Fixed 100+ cameras not mapping to correct camera profiles
    – There is still work being done to update the profiles themselves
  • Loosened check on monitor colorspace conversion so more monitor colorspaces should look correct
  • Copy additional metadata when using the Lightroom Plug-In Extras flow
  • Currently selected preferences tab now persists within the active session
  • Added Open Recents option in File menu
  • Fixed scrolling the file list view with trackpad on Windows only being able to scroll right
  • Changed minimum value of Face Recovery slider to 1
  • Fixed some update snoozing issues
  • Small UI/wording tweaks
    – Welcome screen now mentions that you can drop folders
    – Preferences panel now has Cancel/Save buttons
    – Cursor now shows as waiting when manually checking for updates
    – Added tooltip to Original View toggle
    – Fixed a layout bug where update information would have lots of extra spacing
    – Replaced the sub-menu on the left side of file list to be a collapsible toggle

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
7 Likes

I am on Windows 11. I’ve installed 1.2.8, and it insta-crashes. I’ve tired multiple reinstalls, checking for driver updates. It opens for about 15 seconds and then just dies.

Just uploaded to dropbox original .cr3 and resulting jpg’s using Photo AI 1.2.8
using default of strong denoise upper left is garbled by window
changing denoise to normal it’s good

Do you have a custom color profile for your monitor? I am aware that there are some cases where those have caused issues in the past which is why we had a very strict filter before. Would you mind sending your logs and maybe changing your display profile for the meantime?

If you just want to use the app you can also go to the 1.2.7 thread in the forum and downgrade with the installer there.

RAW development is better than it was but still a bit off (Sony a7r iii). saved as a tiff.

installed update 1.2.8 and it crashes after batching 20 images. this is not good.

2 Likes

Photo AI version 1.28 constantly crashing after 21-28 images in batch

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2
  3. Step 3

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

Hi - can you please attach your log files from Help > Open Log Folder?

Hi, just a request as I cannot see an option to do so.
I use On1 Photo raw NOT Lightroom and export an image from there to Topaz studio AI, I have a folder set up in On1 Browse for image/s run through TP AI but have to move them there once back in On1 so is there or will there be an option within TP AI to choose a folder to send an image to? yes I no you can do so from Windows explorer if the image/s are sent direct from there but that is counter intuitive. Thankyou.

Whatever has been done to the Sharpen tool has ruined it. I always use Sharpen on images I run through Topaz AI, and I couldn’t with this latest upgrade. Everything looks scratchy or “too sharp”? Even adjusting the sharpness down did not help.

3 Likes

I too am getting more window 11 crashes with 1.2.8 but difficult to reproduce - typically after multiple operations using P-AI - last crashed logfile:
2023-03-24-12-52-27.tzlog (378.8 KB)

What happened? Once upon a time, I could downscale an image to a lower resolution, as much as 50% of the original. Now, when I attempt to do it, TPAI returns an image at the original resolution. Did I miss a note in a recent update. Even though the downscaling was not as wonderful as I could wish, it was at least something. Did y’all know this capability has gone missing?

I want you to know that my absence from this forum over the last months means I have been very pleased with the work y’all are doing. Thanks for all the updates.

BTW, I run TPAI on a late 2015 iMac with 36GB Ram and the latest OS from Apple.

It won’t downsize on Windows either.

Update. Again tried to process a Sony RAW and export as a tiff. This time Affinity Photo gave the message there was no color profile.

Edit: PhotoLab says its sRGB. I need ProPhoto or ROMM RGB. Can’t see how to get this.

All is going well, keep up the great work. Could we please get a straighten tool with the crop and please can you bring back RAW Adjustments, it’s a big deal for me, thanks.

I am not using a custom color profile on my display device (gaming laptop screen). I have tried every installer from 1.1.1 to 1.2.8. They all crash. Here is what I have tried:

• Registry clean up prior to each install (HKEY… /SOFTWARE/TOPAZ LABS…
  • Redownloading installers
  • Rolling back installations

I found the log files folder about a half hour ago, and tried searching some of the the issues I read in the log files. It is almost like I am missing a piece of something. My Windows 11 installation is a fresh one off of a drive format. The attached log time stamped 21:178:50 was off of a fresh install, open, click activate, and crash.

I did my cleanup routine: Uninstall, clean registry and this time I backed up the Topaz Labs folder in C:\ProgramData, and then deleted that as well.

Since reading the log led me to believe that something was missing, I disabled all cybersecurity software (Windows cra

ppy built in protection and firewall and McAfee). I think opened powershell as an admin, and ran the install MSI from there. Opened Topaz Photo Ai > Activate > activate page says I am good > crash. That log file is the 21:39:49 time stamp.

2023-03-24-21-39-49.tzlog (7.0 KB)

2023-03-24-21-39-49.tzlog (7.0 KB)

2023-03-24-21-18-50.tzlog (6.8 KB)

Thank you for listening to the community about the data collection. That said, I want to drop this here becuase I think others should be thinking about this, too:

I would like to support companies that commit to ethical and fair data use and model training.

So here’s another suggestion (if I have missed this information elsewhere, please drop a link)

I think we need the following:

1. Details about your training data
  2. Details about your human image taggers… where they are located and how fairly they are paid.
  3. If any taggers are responsible for keeping illegal or violent content images out of the training sets, are they given access to mental health care.

Unfortunately I cannot see any improvements on color if RAW images from my OM-1 are loaded into Photo AI.
There is a quite ugly greenish tint to the image. Please see the example below. The left image is how Capture One/Lightroom/On1 Photoraw see the image (which is correct since the photo was taken just before sunrise). The right image is how it looks in Photo AI.
The same problems are in Denoise AI/Sharpen AI. The prevents me from using Photo AI with raw images. Its good for Jpg/Tiff but Raw is not an option as of now.

4 Likes

Have you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers?

I’m also on Windows and it downsizes in-app but then saves at original resolution.

1 Like