Topaz Photo AI v1.2.5 - v1.2.6

The RAW converter is NOT an AI engine and remember that DeNoise needs to work on the actual image taken to get the best result as the tonal areas are those shot. And, even so, an AI engine would have absolutely no idea of individual photography styles based on an individuals technique. RAW converters only have an idea of individual cameras capabilities and apply a profile style based on that.

The other option you have is to send a TIFF, PNG or JPEG from your RAW converter with your edits applied.

2 Likes

Need to determine if we want PAI to be a fully fledged RAW editor.
Personally I’m happy to do all my editing in LRC then export a TIFF to PAI to denoise and sharpen, Tiff back to LRC for any final adjustments.
That way ALL my edits are in one place - LRC :grinning:

Exactly. Its frustrating to de noise a RAW image, then later lighten the shadows and see that its a mess.

1 Like

I don’t want PAI to be a full editor. I want it to be an intelligent pre-processor for difficult images. Right now, it only handles certain images well. I don’t need it to lighten my shadows, I can edit to my own taste. But PAI should be able to detect pixel levels and signal ratios. And from there, be able to handle the information in the deep shadows they way it does in quarter tones and mid tones. Then back in LR, I can take my PAI dng and edit tones to taste. And as I said, round tripping a processed tiff with LR looses out on the best that PAI has to offer.

DxO PureRaw, which uses it’s own AI algos, handles deep shadows better. Not as well as LR, but leagues above PAI.

4 Likes

I’ve just started using Deep Prime in PhotoLab and it does this very well. Not exactly transparent as to how it does it but it does. You guys have a problem.

3 Likes

I think Topaz has already made that decision, and has stated they’re not going to be a full RAW editor

Since version 1.2.5 I’ve had two issues that continue to occur through version 1.2.6.

1. When processing and image I get the message “Error: Could not run model”. I just processed three images before getting the message and received it on the fourth. If I close the program and restart the process it would work properly. NOTE: I processed more than 250 images before this started happening.
  2. Occasionally after processing an image I get a “ghost” of that image appearing in the next image I process.

I updated to v1.2.6 using the download listed on this page. Sharpening a winter landscape scene (RAW file from LrC) after Denoising now produces terrible artefacts and is totally unusable. Re-installed v1.2.4.

Did 1.2.5 not work for you?

I didn’t try 1.2.5 as 1.2.6 was a minor bug fix to 1.2.5. So i would expect it to behave the same.

If you’re on a Mac, that may be so. I use Win 11. Drag & drop works for me with 1.2.5. And, no artifacts either.

Deleted

5 Likes

Still find issues with the program becoming confused when swapping between selection hot keys .
X to add or remove, space to move around a magnified image and paint , then return to paint the mask and it is all confused over add or remove and ens up doing neither . The manual brush is a great addition and much enjoyed , just need it to become less fragile.

if it is just meant to be a “phone snap fixer” , do explain why it was designed and acts as a Photoshop plugin ? Functional is more important than pandering to the simple.

2 Likes

And, that would imply a huge mkt of Instagram snapshotters willing to pay $200 for processing s/w vs using free, simple “filters” that are out there. So I agree with you, Ken.

To say it’s meant to be a “phone snap fixer” is a gross over-simplification.

Deleted

1 Like

The software started to shut down by itself. :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:
Windows 11, acer all in one.

Can you provide more details, pls?

Were you working on an image and it crashed? If so, what did you see (if anything) - did it go to white screen? Or, did it crash when you tried to launch PAI?

Did it happen repeatedly? If you restart your computer does the program work okay?

Had you just installed the software? If so, try rebooting the computer and try again.

Does your system meet all the specs Topaz posted for the s/w in its Tech Requirements?

And in addition to the $200 for the software they would need a rather powerful computer that has a strong GPU in order to run Photo AI. Most of the phone snapshooters I have seen do not even own a computer anymore. They only use their phone and sometimes also have a tablet.

Having said that, I do not think it has to turn into a full raw editing program such as C 1, DXO, etc.

3 Likes