Topaz Photo AI v1.2.0

yep, new version is making “plastic” upscale. Im currently downloading previous version to show decs examples

2 Likes

Hi, to me it seem that sharpening is defaulted to way too strong/aggressive

. And, even when I adjust it into half of what AI wants to use, it still creates artifacts into smooth background. The starting point in “noisy”, but still this is very annoying. Old Denoise AI and Sharpen AI seem to work better with same image.

2 Likes

Also, subject recognition is still very poor, and adjustment brush does equally poor job when attempting to fix this. The areas between the bird’s legs and feeder should be rather easy to separate with event very basic algorithms.

6 Likes

Hi All,

I found a bug where the Exif data can’t be read when loading image files in folders of which name contains Japanese. Also, Exif can’t be saved when saving image files to a folder of which name contains Japanese.

Ex.

• C:\test.tif → C:\テスト\test-topaz-denoise.jpeg (Left)
  • C:\テスト\test.tif → C:\test-topaz-denoise.jpeg (Center)
  • C:\test.tif → C:\test-topaz-denoise.jpeg (Right)

Maybe the Exiftool on TPAI can’t read and save the Exif data on files in folders of which name contains Japanese.
I’ll rename my photo folder name, but hope this bug is fixed.

2 Likes

Hi - thanks for the new update. Unfortunately one of the biggest issues IMHO is that the Strength slider in Remove Noise still does not do anything – not even visible at 800 % – but the tool itself causes sharpening effects which cannot be turned off even when setting both the Strength and the Detail slider to Minimum. These sharpening effects are even worse than the ones created in Sharpen… Hope this will be your next target. Thanks!

6 Likes

Thanks - we hear you on this one. We’ll address this with the upcoming new Remove Noise models in the roadmap.

2 Likes

Thanks - look forward to it!

1 Like

I added more examples of my current adventures with Photo AI in my latest blog post.

1 Like

We ran a large batch process job for 2x up scaling photos over the weekend for a customer (6pm Friday - 9am on Sunday). We are going to have a meeting on Monday to figure out what we are going to do but I pretty sure we are going have to through everything out and start over again. We trust Topaz to put out good products and good updates mistakes like this costs companies time and money, fun times . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you for helping to figure this bug for Topaz makawilli !

I’m scared of updating this product. Reading these forums I see that with every update something gets fixed and something else gets broken.

4 Likes

Photo was created with a Sony A7RIV.
I load ARW-File „7R403561.ARW“ in Photo AI 1.2 and create a –topaz.dng.

The result „7R403561-Topaz.dng“ can not been opened in Adobe Camera Raw – not in LR and not in Photoshop.
Resolution -topaz.dng in TPAI is 9568 x 6376, Original .arw opened in LR has „only“ resolution 9504 x 6336.

When i load the ARW in Topaz DeNoise 3.7 (TDN) and create a-denoise.dng, this dng can be opened in LR, TPAI and TDN.
Resolution 7R403561.ARW in LR is 9504x6336
Resolution 7R403561.ARW in TPAI is 9568 x 6376 (?),
Resolution -topaz.dng in TPAI is 9568 x 6376,
Resolution -denoise.dng in TPAI is 9504 x 6336,
Resolution -denoise.dng in LR is 9504 x 6336.

It would be fine, when this bug could be fixed soon. Upload of 7R403561-Topaz.dng is done.

thx

Manfred

If you are working with a Windows 10 or 11 PC, then try the following tip. Has helped with me:

1. Open Windows Control Panel → Region.

2. Go to the Administrative tab and click Change system locale…

3. SET the check mark next to Beta: Use UTF-8 for worldwide language support.

4. Click OK and restart your computer.

Can you help clarify, for this image, what filters were used, and what were the models applied?
E.g., denoise - normal, enhace resolution - high fidelity. We will the need the info to optimize.

Thank you for your fast answer.

I work with Windows 10 (PC) and Windows 11 (Laptop). Bug ist the same.

To Change the UTF8 in Germany (Win10) the way is:

open „Systemsteuerung“

chose „Zeit und Region“

choose „Region“

choose the header „Verwaltung“

cklick the Button „Gebietsschema ändern“

click on „Beta: Unicode UTF-8 für die Unterstützung weltweiter Sprachen verwenden“

close windows and open again.

I have tried this (enable UTF-8) on my PC (Win10) – it does not help.

Generally when image is very clear or has been processed with other sharpen/removing noise filters, high fidelity model will be more selected; when image has more noise, low reso will be preferred; otherwise standard is selected. The strategy is open for ideas to optimize.

Sorry to hear that.
So you should raise a Service Ticket.

This seems like the face enhance filter is not functioning in the new version as you posted. Can you help send us the image Submit files and your system config (cpu and gpu model, operation system mac or windows and version). Thank you!

Perhaps some mouse clicks could be eliminated. For example, after saving an image, one has to click to remove the saving dialog, then one has to click in the lower left corner to access the ‘close’ drop down menu, then one has to click to confirm closing.

For me (at least), this is tedious. How about having an option in preferences to close the image automatically once it’s saved?

2 Likes

Hi! Can you help clarify that did you have face enhancement function on or off for those images? What was the model selection for the enhancement resolution filter? For us to quickly fix it, it is best to have an example original image for us to debug. Submit files

Figured out the issue here. The autopilot in previous version selects low reso model for this image (you can check it by clicking to expand the enhance resolution filter), while now selects standard/natural model. For this case low reso model is more suitable since its noise level. We will optimize the auto pilot behavior in this week’s release.

1 Like