Topaz Photo AI v1.1.9

Hi Artisan,
Not able to run as administrator as this is not available for an msi file. What is weird is that I have downgraded to the previous version and that installed without a hitch. At a complete loss here as to what is going on.

Think I will have to contact support on this one - thanks.

Terrible bug …
I edit 4 pictures, it outputs 2 of the pictures twice … (replacing / ignoring the other 2 … )

(i have checked “allow overwriting”, I do that all the time but only this update do that bug)

This update is very unreliable as sometimes it omits a picture and outputs another picture in its place …
(Occurs in batch processing and saving in the original folder, allowing overwrite)

Just bought this. I’m bringing in a 300dpi image and upscaling 2x and it outputs in 72dpi and the inches goes nuts. This can’t be right.

.mrw file

In LR, File>Plugin extras>process with Topaz AI. Remove noise and 2x enhance. This is the result in LR…same issue

1 Like

I think this doesn’t work a looong time.
Using as a plugin in Affinity Photo - denoise is useless - no matter where a sliders output is maximized

What strikes me, from looking at your comparative screenshots, is that the PAI results are producing the same bad effect around the perimeter of objects/subjects that would happen in Ps when users wanted to create a faux background blur.

That is, if Ps users selected the subject/object, made a mask of that selection, then inverted it to add blur (Gaussian, Field, Motion, etc) to just the background - what happened was (is) a sort of blurry ‘moat’ (or, blur halo vs a white line halo) appeared around the selected subject. It’s almost like the blurring bounces up against & away from the mask wall & creates a blurry buffer zone in the process. Adobe introduced “Hide & Fill” to deal with that in Oct 2022. I think it essentially expands the subject selection by a few pixels to prevent that bump into mask & bounce off smeary blur effect.

It may not be that you masked your subject in PAI… but it’s producing the exact same visual outcome as the Photoshop scenario I mentioned above & that Adobe had to find a workaround for users wanting faux bokeh backgrounds to work with (or, even maintaining a shallow DoF background captured with wide aperture, but desiring a sharpened “star” subject).

2 Likes

can’t find a way to change the extra words this software adds making name too long like other topaz does

What settings do you have set as the defaults in your Save/Save as panel?

Not sure I understand your question b/c no example, but if you don’t like the prefix or suffix you can turn it off in that panel. Is that what you are referring to? The same type of naming options are in all the Topaz AI products…

See snip attached:
Fotomaker_SavePanel

there is nothing in the program that allows me to adjust the suffix or prefix, it doesn’t exist, each menu item has nothing that addresses this and open and clicked in every corner of ai1.1.9. There is nothing like you show above in your product.
'\I really want a close button like other topaz has so don’t have to go to menu. thanks.

yes me too, i downloaded the update but it would not install so i updated from the software instead and that seems to have worked. using win 10

I hit the Save button to get that panel. That’s why I circled Save and wrote Save panel is where the settings are.

I believe earlier Topaz AI products put those settings in a Preferences menu. They aren’t especially consistent across the product lines.

If you want to close w/out saving you can use a CTRL/CMD + W hotkey combo.

I’ve been wanting an ‘Open Recent’ for ages (& I’m not the only one) & that’s not there either.

There is still a lot missing from the PAI development. It is early to mid-stage (at least relative to where some of us wish it was) & is in ongoing build mode.

1 Like

I have not masked that.

Denoise works with some kind of mask or it (the border) is present in the training images and it is compression that has burned into the model.

1 Like

Interesting!

Ai photo setting left on autopilot. The noise reduction smearing is clearly seen on Ai photo whereas gigapixel retains the cloth texture detail.

5 Likes

something I noticed with the face recovery, if you have a group photo with faces close to each other (their selection boxes overlap) it seems to lower the face recovery strength but if you select faces far enough apart it will use higher recovery, only figured this out because it looked fuzzy in the preview until I zoomed in on one face and it was much clearer. So if you have group photos be selective of face restoration

Please fix the rendering of RAW lossless Nikon files. And add support for HE*. Currently the AI programs aren’t even useable with Nikon RAW. Note the size change as well as the color changes.

1 Like

I ran it a second time and it appeared to work apart from the file size change.

Sorry I didn’t make a screen capture because it happened twice (different folders), and I reverted straight away to the previous version.

1 Like