Topaz Photo AI v1.1.4

Hi David;
Strange but I am running PSP 2023 Ultimate with the November update on a Windows 10 machine and I am not experiencing the sharpening problem you are having with 1.1.4 Photo AI.

Regards
Larry

2 Likes

Since posting I had the same problem directly in PAI. Changing the processor from auto to GPU has fixed it for the moment in both.

There’s an issue with face refinement - in some cases, lower part of face remains unprocessed. I observed this issue in Gigapixel 6.2 as well.

I have an image with four faces, but TPAI is only detecting one of them. How can I select all of the faces?

When I lob an image from Photoshop to TPAI, in addition to the initial scanning/processing, TPAI opens up the “queue” popup and appears to be processing. I can cancel out of that, but it really shouldn’t be there. Thanks!

Usually Face Recovery is intended for smaller faces in images…and is meant to Recover and fill in facial features that may be less than optimal in smaller subjects. It is not really a refinement (retouching beautifier) for large, single person portraits…

That said, there have been instances in which the Recovery feature sometimes does not extend or transition to hair or exposed necks when it should.

So your comment prompts a Face Recovery feature proposal… it would be helpful (perhaps) to have a Face Recovery tool that works something like an expand crop tool. That is, a movable framing box that PAI would position as it normally would by default, but that allows users to pull the sides of that frame in a freeform way to include more hair (than just bangs) and neck skin. Just a thought. If I really wanted to go crazy about this feature, I’d wish for a slider to adjust how the transition from the face to surroundings is handled (abrupt or gradual).

3 Likes

It may just be me, but it seems like this version seems to be really messing up straight lines (or what should be) at low resolution, especially in photos with guitars. Just check out the frets and strings in this screenshot. I realize the image on the whole is low res, but it’s really bending what should be straight lines and then taking a rather monochrome photo and adjusting the color when recovering the face.

I notice sony a7rv 61 meg raws choke if upsized in topaz photo ai raw plugin and I don’t find a crop tool there. It is only on the max upsize that it does this and then gives a file error. i uploaded the error.
On good side, i like the raw plugin for this camera, is sharper etc.

snag17

The A7rV is an unsupported camera. Also looks like LR says the image is too large.

Yes, i understand that. In Topaz the “masked” area in red is the “selected” area that you want to apply changes to. I do a lot of motorsports photography and panning shots so I mask/select the car which is in focus an everything else I want left alone so I do not select those areas such as spinning tires or motion blurred trees. Even though I only selected the car which is now shaded red Photo AI still sharpens everything. To me that is broken and for my purpose makes Photo AI unusable. I do not believe that this is a feature. I would like to hear from a developer. Maybe they can explain it.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, and if the color were green (maybe it can be changed), that would make more sense. At least to old time darkroom guys :wink:

1 Like

I forgot to mention that for GigaPixel or Photo AI the maximum pixel dimension on the longest side for up size is 32,000 pixels… therefore you can only upsize X3 times as the input image is ~9500 pixels on the longest side.

1 Like

Confirmed fixed:

• Split view slider offset at zoom levels 50% or lower.

Reiterating Issues present:

• Sharpening shifts the whole image or sharpened subject (depending on ‘subject only’ setting) down+right.
    When only the subject is sharpened its alignment relative to the rest of the image is changed, stretching the top/left and squishing the bottom/right.
    [visible in saved output]
    –Recover face undoes its sharpening shift, now misaligning the face from the rest of the image or subject (often the person who the face belongs to).
    [visible in saved output]
  • Remove noise (normal/strong models) strength slider has no influence over the amount of noise reduction applied. The default is successful at removing noise, but a bit too strong creating an artificially smooth look.
  • In zoom levels other than 100% the before preview has a slight crop compared to the denoised/after preview. Toggling visibility or sliding the slider back and forth show this as an apparent shift. Most clearly visible towards edges of the photo.
    [not visible in saved output]

Nice to have:

• Zooming with scroll wheel to pan the image so that the area under the cursor remains in view.
    Now it ignores the cursor and zooms on the current centre of the viewport.
  • An indication if any lens correction profile was found/applied at all other than having to toggle “apply lens correction” on/off.
4 Likes

Hi David;
I’m glad you found a solution. If I have problems in future I’ll try your fix.

Regards
Larry

Many people say it’s been solved, but my Photoshop crashes when I invoke Photo AI plugin. Does anybody know a workaround for this issue? Thanks.

Topaz Photo AI 1.1.4
Photoshop 2023 (24.1.0)
Mac OS 12.6.2 (21G320)

Updated version 1.1.4 yesterday, but today something is wrong. After imported photo into PAI, the color saturation is reduced a lot.

1 Like

What type of image; RAW, DNG, TIFF, JPEG etc.? If it is RAW what camera?

15 posts were split to a new topic: Photo (Scanned etc.) Restoration

Problem is solved with v.1.1.5