Topaz Photo AI v1.1.1

When not applying sharpening, but only denoise (normal/strong) and zoomed to a scale other than 100% the after preview is slightly shifted down+right compared to the before preview.
You can spot this sliding back and forth the slider or in full view toggling on/off visibility (eye icon).
The shift does not seem to be in the actual export image file.

This is different from the previously reported shift when applying sharpening; then it also happens at 100% and is in the saved output. This denoise shift also shifts the (recovered) face, while the sharpening shift moves everything except the face.

In two days I’ve found so many issues I’m starting to feel like a beta tester.

A promise made is a promise kept. Thankfully they’re not giving up and still deliver a new box of band-aids to us every week.

1 Like

Working agile having short development cycles is fine and all, but you don’t have to expose your end user to the bleeding edge. What’s delivered here does not feel production ready and more along the lines of acceptance testing/beta release.
I understand adding new models and features is more fun, but first at least provide a solid base (MVP so you like) which is sort of stable and free from obvious bugs.

3 Likes

Unless I am very much mistaken, I am not seeing any such shift when applying Denoise and Face Recovery.
I do find the Topaz Plugin box hovering over the image annoying. Do PS users see that too? At least it can be shifted around.

I am on a Mac mini M1 16GB OS Ventura. Your OS/GPU may be relevant here. You need to specify when reporting bugs etc.

Confirming what others are saying. Subject selection is ignored when processing images in v1.1.1
Mac Mini M1 16GB, Ventura

1 Like

Yes, I have changed the zoom level before and after moving the image around with the same results. I’ve also done the same using the box in the upper right corner and that works just fine.

Also moving the image around from the center screen causes the progress bar to turn grey and next to it says “Viewing Original” Adjusting the sliders does make the progress bar move as normal but doesn’t seem to apply any settings to the image.

And here we are once again.

Here is a comparison of the following maximum possible denoising with TPAI v1.1.1 vs. Denoise AI v3.7.0 vs. Luminar NEO 1.5.1

Source: 26 MP Canon CR2-RAW, ISO 102,000
Settings at each program: model RAW, maximum luminance denoising and color denoising. Maximum detail, maximum sharpening.

Here is the result of TPAI

Here the result of Denois AI

Here the result of Luminar NEO

NEO is the best, than Denoise AI. TPAI is clearly worse in comparison.

1 Like

Just upgraded to 1.1.1 after processing some photos with 1.1.0. I hadn’t seen the notes about the utility, or lack of it, in selecting subjects, so had been carefully selecting and deselecting portions of the image that i wanted to have sharpened. 1.1.0 let me do that; 1.1.1 crashes when that is attempted. Running Windows 11, cpu processing (I have an Intel graphics card that apparently causes crashes); working on 1-12 Meg jpegs. Found some things fixed- face selection icons now line up with faces, for instance, but the slider seems to be misaligned with the processed image.

The color differences are intriguing.

@adam.mains
@anthony.lawn

I was able to process an Olympus (ORF) raw image in the Standalone, save it as a .dng, then process it some more in various ways in Ps 2023 (Win 11) with no issues. The .dng PAI pre-processed output file from that run wasn’t altered in any way that prevented further post-processing in Ps. Which is a good result.

The only thing I noted was that the image tripled to quadrupled in size before/after PAI.

Yes, that is true. But this can be explained quite simply. The colors are quite similar in NEO and TPAI. The differences are rather due to the worse color denoising in TPAI. The color, i.e. the yellow cast is actually present in the image, I did not process it here.
With Denoise AI I have activated the color correction in the tool. Therefore Denoise AI tries to remove the color cast. Due to the residual noise, however, there is a slight violet color cast.

If you clean it all up in the three programs, NEO still wins for me, just barely for Denoise AI. TPAI still makes too many artifacts and looks less clean.

3 Likes

I made a post weeks back showing the comparison of three RAW processing tools
 and then also compared their own set of original programs. TPAI is horrid for dumping huge amounts of smear and sludgy warm all over the image. I showed in comparison that the noise in Noise AI removal did not do this and showed in example. After weeks no one responded to my post acknowledging it , or made any comment. I am using an Eizo reference monitor and can only figure that the feel that most users wont notice.

1 Like

Hi Kencrook,

I agree with you. It is noticeable on the forum that everyone posts his stuff, but there is little to no interaction. I think many don’t necessarily recognize the subtleties either.
I keep testing my software, seeing what has improved and what hasn’t. And then I post one or the other result.
For example, two fundamental bugs in TPAI v1.1.1 have been fixed compared to v1.1.0. As a stand alone version it now starts instantaneously again. And when denoising a RAW, the details in the dark areas no longer become a muddy gray area.
But it is noticeable that TPAI lags behind the I mage bundle in some areas. Why were not the AI models of the image bundle integrated into TPAI?

1 Like

It’s kinda sad to see we are on version 1.1.1 but the moment to say “That’s what v1.0 should have been” has still not been reached
. :unamused:

2 Likes

I updated to version 1.1.1 today and now I am unable to launch Topaz Photo AI from within Photoshop. Normally I could click on Filter->Topaz Photo AI and it would open and save back to my layer however now it just crashes Photoshop every time. I’ve tried reinstalling both Photoshop and Topaz Photo AI multiple times with no changes. It was working perfectly before this recent update. I’m on a Mac Studio, macOS Monterey 12.6.1, Photoshop 2023 fully updated.

Got the new update and making no longer works. As a motorsport photographer I do a lot of panning work and I need to make sure that the background and the spinning wheels/tires do not get sharpened. So far every image I’ve worked with today in the new Photo AI sharpens areas that are not included in the subject mask. The software is no longer usable. I think you’re focusing too much on AI and you need to get back to your core products. Processing in Photo AI is another thing. Five minutes to process/save an image? C’mon. My computer is no slouch either. Love Topaz Laps, always enjoyed using the products but I’m finished with Photo AI until the next update.

When you say “my computer is no slouch”, please post the following technical info: OS version, RAM, GPU and dedicated vRAM with the driver version.

Like many above, sharpening is happening outside the mask.

In my experience, At such high ISO, only DXO DeepPRIME XD can fix it.
If you can share the RAW file, I can experiment it for you. :grinning:

Thanks for the tip. I myself do not use DXO Pure RAW or Photo Labs, because with extreme lights I get a magenta color error in the highlights with this software, which I can no longer correct. I have already posted this problem on the DXO forum and discussed it with the programmers of the software. They can’t find a solution to the problem, which they were able to recreate themselves. Interesting, but that makes this software unusable for me. Also, the fact that the prime denoise can only handle RAWs, and cannot be applied to a jpeg or TIFF is way too big a limitation for me. That’s why I prefer to use Topaz or Luminar NEO. Both are quite good overall. And I don’t shoot with an ISO of 102,000 in practice anyway. I usually stop at 25,600. But thanks for your feedback.

LG, Dutchman

2 Likes