Topaz Photo AI v1.0.3-v1.0.4

With older camera models like a Nikon D3s, if processing raw directly colors still come out wrong, too saturated:

Hi.

Just bought this version. So far not very impressed I’m afraid. I’ve immediately hit two serious issues within 20 minutes of using the software.

The first one is where the face refinement not processing the bottom 3rd of the first portrait image I tried. There’s a clear point on the image below which the face is not processed. It’s a full face portrait, so the entire face is selected.

Second problem is the program crashes right out every time when saving a processed Canon CR2 image as JPEG.

I’ve sent logs etc to the support email. Really hope you can sort out these disappointing issues. Feels like I’ve purchased a beta.

Thanks

A game of two halves !
Firstly the plugin is the most usable version of Photo AI yet !
Sharpening is far better , processing is via GPU when selected, and fast.
Everything seems a notch up , bar a slight colour error in the preview window shown . Tested and the reality is as per Photoshop when processed, so only a slight preview issue .

Now the problem… the standalone seems fine until processing when it crashes . Tried DNG and Tiff saves and crashes after a moment and nothing written to destination. Using files from my test folder that have been through the previous versions fine from CR2.
Still wish the program would follow the Windows 11 screen partitioning standard and allow area selection.

2022-10-07-12-17-20.tzlog (11.2 KB)
2022-10-07-12-11-49.tzlog (540.7 KB)
Uploading: 2022-10-07-00-59-51.tzlog…
2022-10-07-00-59-25.tzlog (117.5 KB)
2022-10-07-00-40-11.tzlog (374.5 KB)
Uploading: 2022-10-07-00-34-29.tzlog…
2022-10-07-00-27-28.tzlog (161.5 KB)
2022-10-07-00-13-16.tzlog (290.8 KB)
Uploading: 2022-10-06-23-46-50.tzlog…
2022-10-06-23-46-18.tzlog (114.8 KB)
Uploading: 2022-10-06-23-33-38.tzlog…

First version to give me crashes !

Easy to fix in Lightroom, PS or any software.

But that’s not the point, for example DXO software gives perfect colors. Obviously I know I can fix the color or even the tonal curve, but the software should be able to output a file with proper color fidelity like it does with other cameras.

3 Likes

same problem here :frowning:

Hi Jose - can you please send me the original image and let me know what your exact OS version is? You can send the image through Dropbox. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi - thanks for sending in the original file. Can you please send me your log file from the same timestamp of the crash session as well?

Hi! I can’t seem to get batch processing to work. I have large image sets (essentially an object on a turntable with a photo at each degree) – and need to apply the same settings across.

Is this feature working? Or is it possible to implement, either by GUI or command line?

1 Like

I have been playing a bit more and it is behaving as a standalone with a few of the errant files , but managed to produce a crash when set to “ens corrections” and output to DNG.
2022-10-07-15-34-6.tzlog (11.1 KB)
2022-10-07-15-27-24.tzlog (667.2 KB)

I don’t think this is file dependant.

I just discovered that the diagonal offset appears only when using the GPU for processing. There is no problem if I switch to CPU only. And the entire image is offset diagonally if Face Detection is not active.

To summarize … the offset only occurs when Standard sharpening is combined with GPU processing, so something is still ‘wrong’ with the new mode.

Thanks for looking into this. I’ll post the image once I get back from work, later tonight.

2 Likes

Here the log for a new tentative same file , absolutly repetitive, program close without saving when I push save in the save dialog .
2022-10-07-19-56-13.tzlog (92.2 KB)

1 Like

Nice to have more sliders on Remove Noise, however, we still cannot (pre-)select the AI model for remove noise filter.
So, for my test picture, Autopilot chooses “medium luminance noise” and still the slider “Strength” does not have any visual effect. The noise is just heavily removed, no matter if Strength is 1 or 100.

In DeNoise AI I get the same result for AI model “Severe Noise”, also the Slider “Remove Noise” has no visible difference between 1 and 100.

However, in DeNoise AI there is an additional slider “Recover Original Detail”, which allows me to give the picture back some original “crispiness”.

Please give us all the sliders from DeNoise AI etc. into Photo AI for better control of the picture output.

2 Likes

would be good to have at least 2 screens to see the result before choosing one, especially when it comes to sharpening

2022-10-07-15-19-15.tzlog (1.3 MB)

Seems to crash a lot, went from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3 and it seems very unstable when processing images, uploaded the latest log file after a crash

v1.0.4
Released October 7, 2022
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.0.3:

• Fixed a crash when working with RAW files whose lens correction was smaller than the original image size
  • Fixed black borders on RAW files whose lens correction was smaller than the original image size
  • Fixed CLI output on Windows being hidden due to it running as a GUI application
  • Fixed closing an image making it so it cannot be re-imported until restarting the app
  • Fixed issue with AI engine where an invalid minimum Mac OS version was listed
  • Fixed some issues when switching images when in refine mode

Known Issues:

• Lens correction may still cause crashes when zooming in on certain images. As a workaround, disable lens correction from the preferences menu item.
3 Likes

Problem on my end. Not enough room on my hard drive. Tried saving to a different drive and the save worked. Could not even copy the saved file to the original hard drive requested.

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Processor = Auto. Standalone vers.

Able to launch Canon CR2 raw image into the 1.0.4 UI and process.

Subject Detected = the man and most (but not all) of the bar area he’s sitting at. Would be nice to just be able to select him or only parts of the bar area.
Face Detected (after I manually activated it b/c I rarely capture faces) = for the man
Denoising - removed significant color noise. I’ll have to take pre-processed image into Ps to try to refine the sharpening & contrast on him. Will do later to see how the PAI-processed image behaves in Ps.

Bug/Issue Remains (I don’t see it addressed as a fix in .4 Changelog - assume crashes were crit. priority): After closing a processed image (Close Image in File Menu), when I open the next image to process it the already closed image appears again in the workspace temporarily

Snip attached below. Denoise & Sharpen panel settings expanded to show where my sliders were positioned. Enhance Resolution didn’t help. I turned it on then off again.

** B/wn 1.0.3 & 1.0.4 I’ve now tried various ORF, ARW, CR2 and DNG images. All launched and were processable/saveable singly. I don’t typically batch process. So I leave the testing of that to ppl who have ‘real-life’ needs they can articulate vs me doing a pseudo batch.

** Was able to Select part of PAI-processed image & do more processing okay on it in Ps 2022 (image is stable for other host processing - color noise doesn’t return - has enough good shadow noise to look like photograph …). I might try to crop in Ps and then try PAI upsizing as another test:

I get the blue banner saying “2 Updates Available” but all I get is a Renew or Upgrade option box even though I purchased Photo AI.

So I have to log into my account and get it from there since I cannot get the update off the blue banner and Renew or Upgrade buttons.

Former “Updates” tab worked better in prior software like Sharpen AI or DeNoise AI than Photo AI for me.