Topaz Photo AI v1.0.2

Why i can’t connect me on this software with my email ? I don’t understand, i’m a beta testeur and i can’t connect

Hi - what operating system are you on? Could you send me a screenshot of what you’re running into and let me know if it’s happening on a specific Enhance model like Natural?

Hi - can you please send the original image through Dropbox? Thank you!

It’s not beta software - it’s the release version. You need to own Gigapixel, Denoise and Sharpen to claim a free licence otherwise you’ll need to buy it. Being a beta tester doesn’t get you access.

1 Like

I am on Windows 10. I don’t use Dropbox. Here’s the screenshot:

They can use the extra space to add the additional options I asked for in the next release! :grin:

I’m testing a R3 right now.

ISO 16000, just dropped in the Raw.

I turned Sharpen off completely, it only produces blocks and not the fine sharpness of the standalone.

Enhance makes the image look less artificial and has fewer artifacts, but also less details (unfortunately).

Hi.
Topaz Photo AI
Love the new program and the update.
The only thing I find is that if I use sharpen even on number 1 it just seems to course, over sharpens. It shows up on birds feathers and fur, so I find in most cases cannot use it.

2 Likes

Just downloaded and I’m finding the Autopilot setting a little too intense. I’m able to achieve a more natural look by reducing the strength. Is there a way to apply the same settings to the entire batch of photos?

nice job again !

I like the new Preferences option!
In App update from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 worked fine!

But I´m sorry, these issues are still not fixed (StandAlone Modus):

1. Still no Thumbnails for Canon cr2 and cr3 files
There are still no thumbnails shown using cr2 or cr3 files. E.g. using old NEF file or a very old DNG from my old iPhone6PLUS it shows up thumbnails.

2. Not using GPU when sharpening??
I still notice that according to Task Manager, when Sharpen is running, the CPU load is quite high and the GPU load is only about 15% max.

For all other operations like Denoise, the CPU load is below 20%, while the GPU load is sometimes > 80%.

I explicitly selected the GPU in the “Processor” preset.
Therefore, it looks to me like Sharpen is not using the GPU!

(Windows 10 Version 21H1 (Build 19043.2006), Intel I9-9900K, Asus RTX 2060 with the latest NVIDIA Studio-Driver 517.40)

Best regards!

Hi, with the latest version of Photo AI and using RW2 files from my Panasonic TZ200 moving the box round the image when zoomed in results in a crash. It didn’t happen with version 1.0.1 & it doesn’t happen with my CR3 files. I have traced it to having the Enable Lens Correction ticked. Unticking this option results in normal behaviour. I have uploaded a file to Yazan Saradest’s Dropbox.

Thanks again for another update. I really appreciate them :-).

As was mentioned earlier, we are headed in the right direction, but we’re not there yet. Photo AI is still processing images automatically, no matter what settings I choose in the preferences. I simply want to upscale an image and have nothing else done to it, but Photo AI actually makes the image supper blurry whenever I apply any upscaling. Below are the screenshots of my settings and the image I’m trying to upscale:

PAI Settings

BTW, I did try disabling al sharpening at first, but I wanted to see if setting it to HIGH would stop Photo AI from processing the image. That’s why it’s set to that in the screenshot.

Another thing I noticed is not being able to resize the app when it’s not in fullscreen mode. The resize arrow shows up, but the whole app’s window moves instead of resizing.

Anthony – I am still unable to use the PlugIn properly in my version of Mac LrC.

Apple Mac Ultra, 64gb. Monterey 12.5.1

Sep 30-2022

TPAI 1.0.2

Notes

I un-installed 1.0.1 with AppCleaner; deleted my LrC External Editor entry referencing the TPAI app; did a re-boot and a fresh install of 1.0.2

The installation did NOT create any entry in the External Editor preferences

Raw files

1. opened ORF (OM-1) and did several develop modifications, including cropping the image to square 3888x3888

2. In Library mode, File | PlugIn Extras | Process with TPAI – opened the raw and did not offer to Open a Copy with LrC Adjustments.

3. I let the auto-pilot complete and did [Save to Adobe LrC…]

4. Image was returned to LrC as a DNG – resulting image was 5220x3912 px (which is very strange as the original raw from the OM-1 is 5184x3888. None of the modifications I made at the outset in Develop were retained.

Repeated

1. same

2. Started the invocation while in Develop mode – but the result was exactly the same – so makes no difference if you invoke starting from Library or Develop.

Tried to execute from Library Mode | LrC Menu | Library | PlugIn Extras …. But there is no entry in this menu to invoke the Plugin.

So the impact is that I can ONLY open a raw file; its size is changed and I can’t make any modifications to it prior to passing it to TPAI using this invocation method.

iPhone 13 ProMax HEIC file

1. Imported a HIEC file from an iPhone 13 Pro Max to LrC.

2. Made no develop modifications

3. LrC Menu | file | PlugIn Extras | Process with TPAI …

4. Offers to [Edit a Copy] or [Edit Original] …. Chose [Edit Original]

5. I let AutoPilot run and let it make the changes and then click [Save to LrC Plugin]

6. LrC marks the image un-readible reports dialog “LrC has encountered problems reading this photo …. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo [OK]” The HEIC file is now corrupted and un-usable !

Repeated the above process – although this time I made a crop and [Auto] settings adjustments … then

1. LrC Menu File | PlugIn Exteas | Process with TPAI …

2. offers to [Edit a Copy] or [Edit Original] … chose [Edit a Copy]

3. I let AutoPilot run and let it make the changes and then click [Save to LrC PlugIn]

4. LrC imports the image and reports it unsupported or damaged – file is corrupted

Using it as an External Editor

After the re-installation, there was no entry for an External Editor for TPAI. So I simply created one using the exact same setup as for Sharpen, DeNoise and GPAI – just a TIF; Edit In and referencing the main application from the Applications folder, “Topaz Photo AI.app”

Invoking this with the ORF raw……

1. Import and made some develop modifications including cropping the image

2. Invoke the app via the external editor process, Edit In TPAI

3. Offers (*) Edit a Copy with LrC Adjustments ….

4. LrC renders a TIF and passes it to the application – which opens it not as Plugin or External Editor but in standalone mode……so it is not returned properly to LrC when I click on [Save Image]

So, no progress on this in a week.

2 Likes

Hello, I am new in this forum but have some experience with Topaz AI… In next iteration I would welcome:

1. More manual control over parameters like type of noise reduction, low light, severe noise, colour noise etc

2. The same with sharpness:: focus, motion etc with radius and threshold control

3. I would appreciate if we could precisely change the value of each parameters with scrolling wheel, for example holding the alt button (Capture One has it)

4. The brush is extremely needed when defining area of sharpening if not, some unneeded parts of image is sharpened and the background is distracting.

5. I have an impression that I could not set noise reduction at 0. Topaz reduces noise too much regardless of my intention and I could not lower the “smoothness” to my taste

Tomasz

1 Like

I’m running the latest version (1.0.2), but it’s having the same issues as previous versions. Specifically, when working on a RAW file, the RAW Remove Noise does a very poor job. By that, I mean that even on a file without (or very low noise), I get a lot of artifacts both away from the subject . . .

Raw Noise PhotoAI

and on the subject . . .

Raw Noise PhotoAI Subject

Invariably, since there is no adjustment, for intensity or other engines, I have to turn off the Noise reduction, and just use Sharpen (although I typically turn off Subject because it rarely picks correctly, and there’s no way to correct it).

Once I turn off the noise reduction option, I can get fairly decent results provided I keep the Sharpen intensity very low and the Enhance on Natural (Enhance could also use a slider to manage intensity as it’s often heavy-handed).

Sharpen Only PhotoAI
Sharpen Only PhotoAI Subject

To be fair, The RAW noise reduction engine is an issue with the DeNoise AI package as well (both programs probably use the same engine); meaning, on low-noise photos, it usually does a poor-to-useless job when it defaults to RAW noise reduction. I think this is more of an issue when the photo has little-to-no noise but has details the program interprets as noise (Why I don’t use DeNoise on photos without noise).

It assumes the photo is always noisy, so it finds noise even when there is none. The old “when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail” problem.

I was hoping this latest release would add the option to configure whether to turn on Noise reduction, sharpening, and enhance automatically, or not.

I get the desire to have everything automated, but the user should have some control. At the very least, for the noise reduction, which model to use, like in DeNoise AI.

I love the idea of an automated improvement to the image, but as it is, the program is often not all that useful.

2 Likes

The sharpen process seems to take a lot longer than previous versions.

Windows 10, i7, Nvidea RTX2060 super

1 Like

Yes. It’s true for Win 11 (AMD RX6800 XT, Intel i9 12th gen) also. It’s more like the early-mid stage releases of Sharpen AI. Very slooowww.

1 Like

This image (previously uploaded) still shows a color shift depending on save format.

NEF, DNG, JPEG
PNG, TIFF

Ps 2022 Win 11 (mach. specs above & post of Prefs customizations). PAI 1.0.2 Plugin test.

Hi Anthony,

1st - the good news - PAI 1.0.2 plugin launched okay from Ps 2022 & is still :crossed_fingers:t3: launching full-screen as a plugin. After processing an image and Save-ing to Ps the processed image goes back to the Ps launch layer okay. But still much slower than I desire.

2nd - the less than good news -

• I’m only attaching a single snip to rep this test, but no matter what combo of settings I used (Denoise no Sharpen, Sharpen no Denoise, Blends of Both, Enhance On or Not) I am losing all texture from this wooden Barn (& other tests) image. PAI is completely smoothing out the texture of the wood. It ends up looking like a soft pastel/chalk drawing. I wanted to achieve the best of getting rid of some of the noise, crisping up the edges a bit and retaining the look of the knotty wood planks. I just cannot make it happen in the current release.

It happens with a lot of my test images. It either mutates shapes (like water, or hair, or fur - possibly over-sharpening and creating wht halos around all the edges that make up elements like that) or it over-smooths. I found that - b/c I was using the Ps 2022 plugin vers. of PAI - if I lowered the output layer result by around 45-50% opacity I was able to retain some of the texture of the original image. But by doing that I lost some edge sharpness too…

I also tested an alternative product (Radiant Photo) I have in free trial - using strictly the “Details” section (denoising & sharpening) of that product (though b/c it’s “AI” too I think it ‘helped’ the color a bit). That option (also used as a Ps plugin) retained the texture the way I liked it, got rid of the most distracting noise and edge sharpened. I assume you guys have it as a competitive option to be aware of.

Snips attached. Original image was a jpg:
PAI (one of many permutations I tried…see above note) Over Smooths Wood Texture. You can also see the wht halo-ing along wood slat edges. Changes from Photo to Chalk Illustration by doing so:

PAI-processed image saved to Ps 2022 layer - I reduced Opacity b/wn 46-50% to get a more textural look; I have no idea if that means the PAI settings levels are skewed 40-50% too high if I have to lower output that much… but, if so, it reinforces my prior suggestions to put the Zero Position for the Sliders in the middle of the slider bars - I cannot reduce any more than zero (which I’m going to) now in many cases:

Alternative product (noted above) result via Ps Plugin - retained wood texture w/out me having to adjust in Ps:

I have my cheerleader pom poms sitting right here by my PC… I really want to get the kinds of results I’d love from Topaz PAI. I’m hoping it gets there - sooner rather than later. I shoot virtually no portraits. Bulk of my projects are architecture, landscapes, street photography (pre-pandemic), fine art photography/compositing (that pulls bits and pieces from all sorts of shots of mine to combine). For now, PAI mostly isn’t letting me achieve what I need to/hope to just yet. Sorry.

Can you advise what model files are actually needed in the current version.

I have an RTX 3k series GPU which I believe uses rt806 models. I deleted all ox, rt601, and rt705 models. I ran the 1.0.2 installer and took the repair option and it downloaded 4 ox models (one a strange ox-rt806 thing).

Does the installer now only download models for the machine CPU and GPU?

It doesn’t remove unneeded models so people who have had the beta installed probably have about 5GB of models they will never use taking up disk space.