Topaz Photo AI v1.0.2

Firstly if you use RAW files part of the demosaicing process is to add pre-sharpening to an image otherwise you should not get any sharpening except that which is part of noise removal process.

Photoshop CS3 is no longer supported.

I’d like to have greater flexibility in scaling, as with Gigapixel. I’d like to be able to modify the length or the width and have the other be automatically scaled to preserve the aspect ratio.

Also, there’s not enough control over the name given to the generated file after editing. That’s an issue with all Topaz products and I will file that report elsewhere.

Great step forward. Thank you and such a quick relase until the requests from v1.0.1.

I guess the slider “STRENGTH” from “Remoive Noise” Module does not work as designed. I don’t see any substancial difference between 1 and 100.

I’d like to have at least some of the noise in the picture to let it look more natural.

5 Likes

My test photo was a composite panorama TIFF created from two TIFFs which had been developed from the RAW camera files. The result of a run through PhotoAI v.1.0.2 (with noise reduction only being indicated), with as many Autopilot parameters as possible set to “none”, resulted in an image which was quite different than the result obtained using DenoiseAI alone (with and without sharpening). Two obvious differences - a very slight increase in contrast, and most annoyingly the appearance of white haloes common to the over sharpening of JPG’s. I would have thought that denoising results would be the same if the processing engines were the same.

I’ve just purchased Photo AI and have started using the tool on a few image files just to see what it can do to help improve image noise and sharpness.

I confess I’m somewhat disappointed with the results so far. The issue for me is the strength of both noise reduction and sharpening that is applied, at the expense of detail. I would expect that reducing the respective noise reduction and sharpness sliders down to ‘1’ to be applying very little, if any of their respective corrections and then would apply more (subtly) as you increase the sliders. What happens is very aggressive noise reduction/sharpening right off the bat. I also note a degree of noise reduction when using sharpening, with noise reduction turned off which is curious.

I’m sure others have picked this up, but just wanted to add my feedback on this - I’m hoping this will be resolved with a future update as it really does limit its use to the point that I would probably not use it over other noise reduction and sharpening methods.

1 Like

Photo AI is simply awesome. The concept was ideal. I shoot strictly raw, meaning all my photos require some processing. The problem was that only a select few required “real” edits (typically those printed for display), yet I was spending a fair amount of time on the remainder intended for more casual sharing. Photo AI saved me from tedious edits to less critical photos. The results are mostly amazing.

I look forward to minor refinements. One, in particular, I’d suggest is adding in the ability to have greater control over the mask. It would be nice to be able to brush in or out portions of the auto mask (i.e., the ability to manually refine the mask).

Keep up the great work!

Another vote for making the sliders less strong. The effect of a slider set to 1 should be much weaker, whereas I never seem to use the range 60-100 so far.

Hi,
Am happy with what Topaz done for Photo AI. Noted that the face recover were unable to recover some parts of the neck and ear area. Would it be possible to manually overwrite by brushing or even better by improve the auto detecting? :smiley: Topaz Photo AI is installed on MacBook Pro M1 with latest macOS Monrerey version 12.6

The “Face Recoverydoesnt work in both ways CPU and GPU on my system:

Windows 10
i5-2500k
GTX 1080Ti

There is no any error message but just no effect !

Can anyone confirm this and provide a solution ? Thanks in advance !
p.s BTW the face recovery doesnt work on the same system on Gigapixel v6.2.0 but works fine on 6.1.0 !

I downloaded Photo AI v1.0.2 for the first time, and with every raw image I tried the sharpening effect was extreme. Even set to strength 1, it’s stronger than Sharpen AI at 100 and looks like an oil painting filter that smears all of the detail.

Is this intended, or a bug?

1 Like

Upscale x4 (Natural), Remove Noise disabled, Sharpen disabled:

Remove Noise enabed, Sharpen disabled:

Remove Noise disabled, Sharpen enabled (Lens Blur):

Remove Noise enabled, Sharpen enabled:

No, I did not mislabel these screenshots.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I still have random crashing/inaction if adjusting settings, requiring the program to be exited and opened again to start from scratch. I’ve had to go back to using AI Sharpen since it simply… works. Is there a reason this is continuing to crash but AI sharpen standalone never does? I would have thought Photo AI would use the standard mode code and have all the bells/whistles added later. But whatever is being used in 1.0.0, 1.0.1, and 1.0.2 just randomly stops working.

Hi guys,

Is there any way to set the window size when opening the app?
I have to manually resize it every time.

1 Like

It’s a bug. I reported it last week. It remembers on MacOS but not WIN11.

It doesn’t remember on my machine. (Mac M1).

Also, should the save button be that small?

Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 21.28.48

It does not remember Window position on Mac.

The update server is very slow.

1 Like

It doesn’t remember on my Mac Mini M1 /16G Monterey 12.6 and it’s a real pain the you know what. :expressionless:

What? The one on the right is sharpened a little, no smearing.

That example might be zoomed out too much to see the oversharpening clearly.

Here’s another example, again with sharpening set to 1, the lowest possible setting. Extreme sharpening with smeared details.

Sharpen AI doesn’t work like this; even the maximum setting there is not this extreme.

1 Like