Topaz Photo AI v1.0.0

Personally, I think it looks like a pair of underwear :grin:

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. PAI commercial rel. 1.0. Standalone vers. Testing Sony ARW raw (straight from camera - no prior manip.). Processor = Auto (I have AMD RX3800 XT & Intel i9 12th gen).

Autopilot (AP) initial run. Then added Face Detect & some sharpening manually.

Another example why manual, user-controlled brush masking needed. Plus, AP ‘saw’ moderate noise in image & it’s severe color noise.

This is the “subject” AP detected (ie, the entire image - corner to corner). Refine didn’t help - either on default or portrait.

AP did not detect the severe noise in the image & only reduced color noise minimally:

I manually turned on Face Detect. PAI didn’t recognize the child. Only the Mom. There was no way I could tell the program to fix the child’s face too
 (b/c of the drastic diffs b/wn the cleaned up woman’s face - which looks great after the manual detect - and the quality of the rest of the image, I lowered the Strength on the face detect somewhat):

2 Likes

Saving to a DNG file in Capture One finally works really well
Thanks for the update
Ron L

I used the Sony Pro Mavica back in 1993 for student pictorial photos and other on-campus scenics, etc. Lots of floppy disks, yes. I used to shoot these student pix on B&W film and hand-print each of them

2 Likes

It looks promising. When using it as a stand alone program I get good results. However when I go to choose to open a file from Windows photo (where I start all my photo rehab) it opens, processes the photo as it is suppose to, then when I go to move my wireless mouse the program closes instantly. Nothing is saved. Could this stability issue please be addressed please?

Hi

I currently have all three applications and my license expires 26th Nov 2022.
NB Upgraded progressively since much earlier versions GAI since v1.1.2 ; SAI since v1.4.2 ; DeNAI since v.2.0.0

They all work as well as needed on the (limited) occasions when I need them but by PC is now quite old.
It’s CPU is a 1st Gen Intel i5 760 Quad Core and has Instruction Set SSE 4.2 and my GPU is:-

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 516.59
CPU RAM: 16375 MB
Video RAM: 4096 MB
Preview Limit: 6132 Pixels

So my question?
As the applications are working well, will Photo AI work equally well even though my CPU does not support AVX ?

And if it does indeed run & work properly on my PC what might I notice with respect to the lack of AVX ‘support’?

TIA :slight_smile:

In this case I believe it didn’t upscale the two faces in front because face recovery is specifically designed for improving smaller/background faces - usually the other filters do a sufficient job on large/foreground faces as-is.

Topaz Photo AI dropped support for certain older hardware, such as CPUs that don’t support AVX. This was done for a variety of reasons, that roughly boil down to making installers smaller, the app easier to maintain and improve, and ensure those using the product have a solid baseline experience.

Unfortunately, if you don’t have a CPU that supports AVX then processing images will not work at all. Since we don’t expect most users to know whether or not their hardware supports AVX, we’re actively working on improving the messaging to the user as early as possible - ideally, before they’ve even installed the program.

Hi Anthony

Well, I am pleased that the 3 applications are running aok for me. :smiley:

But as I understand it the majority of your development will now(?) being going into Photo AI?

If that is the case can I clarify something with you.
On “My Products” on account it has always been the case that latest versions get listed as available up until the expiry of the license. With them being downloadable after the expiry date.

Now, as I understand I should be able to download Photo AI free of charge up until the license expiry (if there are ‘dot’ releases before then, they will appear as approriate)?

Therefore, should/when I upgrade my CPU (whole motherboard?) in due course I surmise I will at least be able install Photo AI 1.0.0 (.x) even next year or beyond?

Thanks for the free copy. I tried it on three images I was currently processing. I encountered no program errors, but for me, for now, the results were not as good as what I can get from Denoise/Sharpen/Giga.
Like someone else mentioned, I don’t usually use Standard or Normal settings when I use Denoise and Sharpen, so unless PAI has similar ranges of options available, I would probably keep using the separate apps.
Also, I don’t see a way in PAI to get my favorite view of results, with a single image view and an “Original” button to toggle back and forth between original and processed images. Am I missing something?

1 Like

awful results. leaving original, then photo ai with auto pilot off (was selecting half of the image at random) with a light denoise/sharpening. then the original trough a proper run trough denoise ai then sharpen ai.
original

photo AI result:

denoise + sharpen result

Agreed about certain features missing that the SA applications have.

• No option to check for updates

• No option to crop the picture

• No option for DPI when upscaling.

• No custom enlargement options only 1, 2, 4 or 6x (I like to go to a particular size such as 4 ot 6 inches).

You will be able to continue using the latest version released whilst your upgrade plan was still active, forever.

The program checks for updates on launch and shows a notification in the top bar. You can also resize to a specific resolution by inputting either the desired width or height, in pixels.

Hi, I love this application but there are a couple of things I hope you will remedy ASAP.

First, the system spends about half its time searching for low quality faces (I estimate about 15-20 seconds per image but that will vary for others based on their computer specs). I do a ton of wildlife and nature photography where there are no people included. It’s a waste of my time to sit and wait for the software to scan for something I know isn’t there. So there needs to be an option somewhere to skip that part of scanning. When I’m processing 50+ images in a day that’s a lot of lost time.

Second, and I know you know this, there needs to be a way to refine the mask using a brush. Sensitivity sliders are just not accurate enough.

Third, when zoomed to 100% as the default, the portion of the image keeps “jumping”. I move it to a spot most appropriate for the image but as soon as the scanning/modeling is completed it jumps back to the default center. This needs to be more sticky.

Finally, when I click on the refine subject, the mask is shown. But I have no way of turning the mask off again. When evaluating the quality of sharpening (or face recovery in the rare occasions I need that) the red mask prevents me from a good view.

Again I’m overall very pleased with the results; it’s just some UI issues that need some work.

3 Likes

Once you refine the mask there should be two “done” buttons one at the top & one below the sliders. Whatever mask coverage you set after done is where any other adjustments get applied to.

dpi - dots per inch - is only used for printing, not for pixels on screen. it refers to the output device. the same dpi will give you a totally different size in the output when the output devices offer different sorts of dot densities.

1 Like

Indeed a very exciting and useful app, but I agree with many others that masking control have to be better. A brush tool would be highly appreciated.
Another issue is the size of the output dng file. My input file is a Sony arw 5472 x 3648 20,9 mb. The output dng is 119,9 mb, which is enormous compare to 58,8 mb, which DxO Deep Prime is producing.
Any chance to reduce the file size in the future?

1 Like

Hello Anthony.lawn.

If possible, can you look at the issue please, that PAI create, after picture been processed. I posted that earlier, but now with comparison, GP vs PAI 1.0

After processing, PAI created “mash spots” on the background trees. Autopilot, NR ON

These screenshots, above & below, from picture processed by GP, with the same 2 x enlargement, NR 100%.

As you can see, GP does not have that issue at all.

Capture One Plug-In, Nikon’s Z5 RAW NEF file, converted to JPEG, sent for processing and returned back. Two programs with different results.

I can send you Original file, RAW, TIFF JPEG of your choice, if you need it, unless it’s known issue, and you working on it.

One more question. My GP/DN/SH bundle extended Licence valid until 2024, but Photo AI until 2023.

Will my Product page be updated for Photo AI, to match bundle Licence Date?

topaz denoise ( left ) vs topaz photo. Topaz noise retains the detail, whereas Photo Ai creates smearing of the texture on the uniform.