Topaz Photo AI v1.0.0

WOW!! Really, this should be the final version. The single tools DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI do a much better job than PAI 1.0. For me it’s not working right now. And 1.0 is much slower than the previous ones (< 1).

3 Likes

I have the same problem. The plugin doesn’t work correctly if I want to open a raw file from LR Classic in Photo AI and for the file type psd is selected. It works fine, if jpg file is used for the copy.

I have trouble with all the aspects of interfacing LrC and Topaz Photo AI. I sent a support request with this text on Sunday - but no reply from TOPAZ yet.

Mac OS Monterey 12.5.1; Mac M1 Ultra / 64gb / 1TB storage
Topaz Photo AI download file :: TopazPhotoAI-1.0.0.pkg
LrC 11.5, Mac

I have no trouble cycling through Sharpen and DeNoise - the interface for those products works perfectly….so this is the basis for my comparison to TopAz AI.
I typically do some into editing in LrC for tone and then do an “Edit in sharpen AI” where I complete the editing adjustments and then return the image to LrC and all that cycles perfectly - leaving me with a TIF aside my original file. I have Sharpen, DeNoise, Giga and Photo AI defined as external editors, TIF/16-bit.

None of this works properly in Topaz AI.

There are two workflows…

Setting up the Edit In workflow - it does not function the same way as the others as a Plugin. The PlugIn is installed correctly and enabled in LrC - I can reveal it in Finder, etc. the transfer to the PlugIn seems to work okay and it creates a TIF transferring out of LrC - but the PlugIn does not function as a Plugin - it wants to make a further [Save Image] with the module names appended to the file - now creating a 2nd TIF. You have to EXIT the PlugIn using [Close Window] but it does not terminate so you have to close it manually. The newly created TIF file is not auto-imported back into LrC - instead you have to go chase it with a Synchronize Folder and import it manually. Now you have the original file (e.g. raw), the first TIF and the final TIF……typically I deleted the 1st TIF as it is totally redundant.

In the alternate workflow, use LrC Menu | File | PlugIn Extras | Process with Topaz Photo AI …. the process seems to work as intended - and this produces a DNG file as output. However, any edits done via LrC prior to invoking the PlugIn are not retained - this could include Auto Exposure adjustments and Auto levelling and any minor color grads - so these have to be completed or re-done again on the returned file.

Finally, I was able to cycle ORF raws from my OM-1 without difficulty - but when I tried similar round-trips with HEIC files from my iPhone 13 Pro Max, the returned HEIC files were flagged by LrC with a black exclamation point - and marked as un-readible.

In closing, Topaz AI does not have a Preferences panel and there is no check for updates within help. These capabilities and services need to be added so that all the modules in the suite have a similar UI and UX.

One other solution I have found somewhat workable, I have opened and edited the image in LrC and then passed it to PS; duplicated the layer and invoked Topaz AI as a PlugIn on that layer - that seems to work fine (except I cannot resize the image with this workflow and must do that separately). that creates a PSD out of LrC and returns a PSD - multi layered and a big file.

Jim Camelford
toronto - Wed Sep 21, Sunday Sep 18

It needs an option to disable the detecting subject. On an Image that does not have a subject, it is taking nearly a minute to detect a cloud as a subject.

Also, The only option I have is to Save the image, where is the cancel button, for when it does a poor job and I want to go back and use the real individual programs

1 Like

Lightroom selects that, change to a TIFF as PSD is a propriety Adobe format and is not supported.

UPDATE: I have been able to duplicate this issue. I was processing the file from a folder on an external USB drive. In every case, the EXIF data was wiped out. However, if I copy the same file to a folder on my internal drive, the EXIF data is retained.

Not sure if this is just a Mac issue or an external drive issue. Would anyone be willing to try this out (on a Mac to confirm that it is just not me and then on another platform to confirm that this is not a Mac only issue)?

Thanks a ton for your help.

PS: I do have a support issue open for this.

No issue for me. My photos are all on a 1TB external SSD and saving to that with PAI retains the EXIF data of my ARW files.

1 Like

Thanks for checking this out. Are you on a Mac or another platform? This is very repeatable for me on a Mac, so I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I am processing the RAW files directly in Photo AI (no plug-in) in case that makes a difference…

How do you access Photo AI from ACR?

Mac Mini 16GB running Monterey. I used the standalone.

1 Like

FYI for Nvidia GPU owners, the studio drivers released yesterday specifically mention ‘support for Topaz Photo AI’ in the release notes!

1 Like

That is really strange - I’m on a MacBook Pro (M1) but I can reproduce it every time.:person_shrugging:t2:

It’s that time again! macOS Ventura beta 8 is out. Still getting glitches and ghosting with Enhance>Natural module (2020 M1 MBP).

1 Like

Thanks for heads up.
For those affected, unfortunately, update of those drivers does not help with the app shutdown issue related to color management / color profile.

I have the same issue. The folder is in my D drive. If I move it then the standalone doesn’t work, but the Photoshop plugin works. Is Topaz aware of this issue?

Hi - I think the combination of the DeNoise AI and the Sharpen AI Tool is an interesting thing. On the whole, the v1.0 is working – but very slow in terms of Autopilot. I am not sure whether Autopilot is needed all the time and I would like to being able to switch it off.
As for DeNoising and Sharpening, I would like the options, as in the individual tools for reducing/adjusting the effect in the different parameters.

1 Like

To be honest, my first experience is not very promising. The Result looks like a comic filter with lots of black speckles on areas near higher contrast. On the other hand, color gradients get flattened.

Today is Thursday…Are we going to see a new release today??? :smiley:

1 Like

Apologies if this has already been asked (long thread), but is there a way to turn all processing off except the upscaler?

Thanks!

Images exported as jpeg have a 1DPI resolution