Topaz Photo AI v1.0.0

Using two monitors and the CURSER disappears on the monitor that is showing Topaz AI

I to miss the possibility to redefine the select area. Please add this feature to a newer version.

Definitely need to be able to add or remove masked areas as PAI does not differentiate between faces that should be in focus and those outside the focal plane that should be blurred. I have had issues where i wanted facial recovery on a slightly out of focus face but not on a face in focus. The AI took the sharp focused face and blurred it while attempting to recover the blurred face. Hair masking is poor. AI also randomly renders textured areas out of focus (grass).

3 Likes

There are many things AI is not ready for at this point. It cannot know the mind of a user. It appears Topaz is of the mindset that this AI is capable of making all these decisions for us. This may be a good option for a novice user who isnā€™t overly concerned with optimal quality, but for advanced amateurs and professionals, this move is not ideal. By stepping back from the Standalone apps and diverting focus to this app, it does many a disservice. Unless PAI can bring all the capabilities AND EXISTING OPTIONS that exist in the SA apps, and additionally bring more to the table, then we as users are losing flexibility. I hope that Topaz will start to hear what the users here are saying as it appears they are not right now. If I were to have purchased this product, I would have been thoroughly dissappointed. This is really an extended Beta test and this app really isnā€™t ready for retail. I know this seems very critical, but with each new release I have tested, I am still frustrated by many recurrent issues and the lack of integration of what should be simple options to port over from the existing apps.

8 Likes

I have been with Topaz just over a year and every time they send a upgrade for one of my program bundles i have a problem with download and now with the so called all dancing Photo A.I. I DOWNLOADED IT AND IT JUST FROZE WHEN I TRIED TO LOAD A PHOTO BUT TOPAZ ARE QUICK TO POINT TO YOUR COMPUTER when there is a problem also to try and post on there community page is a nightmare same with everything with Topaz they expect everyone to be a i.t. expert maybe its time to consider changing !!! having just started to get to grips with the basics of my Bundle they bring another program out that doesnt work on my computer and before Topaz i never had a problem with my p.c.

I had the same issue several versions ago. High frequency detail is obliterated.

Please note that there an error in the decimal point of the jpeg output size on the Queue screen. For example, Original 4.8mb shows as output 61.7mb, which should be 6.17. Maybe noted already?

And it still is an issueā€¦

Hi Wil, your post got me curious. Iā€™m normally a Mac user but have a 2011 PC build (i7 2600k, 16 GB RAM, some lo-end graphics cards).

I just downloaded and installed Photo AI into Windows 10 and aside from an initial 404 page when trying to log in/register and the current way-too-slow subject detection and preparation for processing, the app holds up. No freeze, etc. It may just never finish detecting the subject, ha! (To be fair, Iā€™m also running Windows updatesā€¦ Iā€™ll retest Photo AI speed later.)

[UPDATE: Windows updates finished, Photo AI is still unusably slow with a small JPEG on this particular machine, which is fine for all other apps.]

When logging in:

topazlogin

topaz404

Same for me, I must be able to refine the selection manually, this is especially important with insects and birds etc. the auto is useless on these this is a big show stopper for me and a big omission.

2 Likes

Feedback from first runs: TPAI 1.0 on Windows 10.

1. Need an in-app way to rotate. Tried first on a few iPhone photos which presumably had rotation metadata and it was upside-down in TPAI. Would have to pre-process in separate app first to correct for this.

2. Trivial-but-annoying ā€“ because the before and after views can be subtle, it wasnā€™t actually clear to me at first which side was preview and which was original. Sure, left-right is intuitive in western culture languages left-to-right, but I wasnā€™t sure at first because of the nature of the images I was trying out (iPhone photos, likely having a lot of pre-processing on the phone first). A simple label or tooltip would help.

3. No About menu item to confirm the version/build Iā€™m on?

Otherwise, all looks well. Encouraging start!

Itā€™s centered at the top of the interface. But the general industry std is to have an ā€œAboutā€ info listing in Help menus. Youā€™re right.

Further thoughts:

ā€¢Integrating the Image Quality Bundle apps into one is a good idea overall. Topaz has long had a history of too many separate single-purpose apps, and even whittling it down to a more recent 3 (+ one for video) was maybe still too many

ā€¢The idea to add forced Auto Pilot on top of this integration (actually two different huge goals) is defeating the purpose of making this a streamlined workflow. The AI preview of the images takes way too long as itā€™s reviewing a full menu of corrective options for every image, whether they need it or not

Human users already know whatā€™s in the photo and in addition, what they are trying to do with it. *Please give us the option to run without Auto Pilot if we so choose ā€“ even if it becomes more optimized in the future. The integration and streamlining of your apps will still be there :wink:

ā€¢Iā€™ve mentioned before the need to also apply basic tonal enhancement in addition to sharpening, denoising, facial enhancement and resizing. Most photos need some ā€œpopā€ (levels, color correction) in addition to the other existing fixes

ā€¢Other users have repeatedly mentioned the need for better (manual-option) masking and basic tools (cropping, rotating)

Obviously Photo AI will get better and better ā€“ itā€™s come a long way since its first beta birth! Topaz devs are the best.

6 Likes

Could also do with being able to adjust or tweak exposure or black/white levels etc. I like the idea of Ai to automate in general - but this needs to be alongside some maual control as well. Nice work by Topaz, but a fair way to go me thinks.

Yes, thanks, that is within the scope of my suggestion.

Auto is good, but manual override is better :wink:

2 Likes

The side by side/split view doesnt say which is which. Before After? Especially since they look identical. Hmmmm. Canā€™;t tell the difference. How is anyone suppose to use this feature?

Iā€™ve been using Photo AI for a few weeks. Iā€™ve been trying to use, I mean. The software works fine, no technical issues, but the results are poor, much inferior to Denoise and Sharpen. So far Photo AI has become more a redundance, a product that is supposed to maybe replace Denoise and Sharpen at some point, I suppose, but much inferior. I hope the product improves. So far, not good.

3 Likes

APPLE PHOTOS PLUGIN PLEASE, TOPAZ PLEASE, Apple Photos has to be the most widely used Photo filing, storage and editing app on the planet; Why donā€™t you make a plug-in for Photos? Photo AI + Photos = a killer combo!

FANTASTIC NEW APP; thanks for the free license as an existing Topaz owner

Astonishing results on the first try, subtle but fantastic enhancement

PLEASE make an Apple Photos Plugin!

1 Like

Very nice truck illustration!

1 Like