Topaz Photo AI v0.7

Cannot save changes, this is a mess .6 worked find!

In the case it may be usefull I put into your dropbox the two LogFile generated after I installed and run for the first time V0.7.1 rc1

During this test I saw all the problems I spoke previously with the mouse action becoming lost . No actions at all , Displaying the mask with the Mouse pointer far beyond the eye icon . Eratic resizing of the main window while trying to maximize or move the main window . also still PrintScreen not working correctly only when the Ap is fullscreen It looks me it’s returning in the clipboard an intermediate screen may be a temporary memory . Also the main border of the window looks unusual with no white border upside the menu line.
again this is the only topaz AI aps doing that
And suddenly for a reason I don’t known it came back to normal action !!

We have another RC that we think will solve the blank preview issues - falling back to sRGB when the monitor’s colorspace cannot be determined. We’ll be looking into improving how we detect the monitor’s colorspace in the future.

Thanks to @Anony.Mouse for the tip! We’re still trying to reproduce in-house, but looking at the logs its quite clear you were spot on with the issue.

Windows build: 0.7.1 RC2

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to use raw mode ever since it was introduced in the legacy product line. However the raw interpreter, plus the lack of camera and lens profiles made it a non-starter for me. I saw a video saying that at least with PhotoAIv0.6, those profiles worked. I tried it out and indeed it seemed to generally work, which is very exciting. However I ran into two issues. One is just a convenience/workflow issue, the other is a bit more serious.

The “more serious” issue is that if I create an HDR photo merge in Lightroom, then run it through PhotoAI and bring it back into Lightroom, the color and exposure is REALLY wrong. Brown-and-black rocks are green, the exposure is really bad, etc. Here is an example of the original HDR image and the PhotoAI processed image.

The second problem is a process/workflow issue. Following the directions that had been put out on some topaz video with the original raw mode in denoise, I drag-and-drop the DNG from Lightroom to the PhotoAI icon which launches PhotoAI with the photo. But when I go to save the image, the only option is “save to external editor” and it only saves as TIFF. It doesn’t give me the option to save as DNG. To get around this I have to launch PhotoAI separately, navigate to the desired image, open it, and then save it. This is annoying because then I have to know/remember the exact file name and folder location for the file. If I could just drag-and-drop, save as DNG and then do the synchronize folder in Lightroom, that would be a lot easier. Of course it would be even easier if Lightroom would allow you to launch an external editor in DNG format, but that’s not a Topaz issue (or at least I don’t think so … ).

(EDIT: Forgot to add that this morning I tried v0.7 and got the same result)

Hi. I’m still getting a blank screen with 0.7.1 RC2.
However, I must apologise to you, @yazi.saradest, @AiDon and @HotGates for the confusion I’ve almost certainly caused for you in trying to sort the black screen issue. I did check that ‘Surround’ was not enabled in the NVIDIA settings but have only just realised that my old 2nd monitor was still set to ‘Extend’ in the Windows 10 Display Properties. I cannot easily disconnect the 2nd monitor but, when I set it to ‘Duplicate’, Photo AI 0.7.1 did indeed show the photo instead of the black screen. It was, however, very low res on both screens. Will investigate further when I get a chance.
Error log for 0.7.1 RC2 is attached:
2022-08-19-19-25-5.tzlog (56.3 KB)

Update: 0.7.1 RC2 shows image in ‘Duplicate’ mode but not ‘Extend’ or ‘Show 1 only’.

1 Like

That has fixed the black display issue for me. I don’t know what profile is being used, my monitors are not far off sRGB anyway.

I would have thought installing and setting as default the profile I uploaded would reproduce the problem on any machine, if not we are back to wondering what else is different on some machines.

FWIW, I got something similar in terms of file size but not in image size. I brought in an 8256x5504 from my Nikon Z9 which was 40MB in DNG form. When I saved it out, also in DNG form, it was the correct 8256x5504 but it was 260MB.

Thanks. We have a solution that should fix it for you as well. We’re going to start preparing the actual patch now.

v0.6 worked OK for me, but in v0.7 I only get a black screen instead of seeing the photo. Photo AI seems to see the photo and does its thing, but I see no before and after anymore. nVidia 2060 Super on AMD 3600x with 32 GB RAM on Windows 10 Pro SP2. I am opening the photo through LR as a Prophoto TIF (standard settings). Disconnecting a 2nd screen didn’t bring me anything.

Crashed after processing before returning to LR. Next attempt was OK.

2022-08-19-21-56-48.tzlog (115.7 KB)

On both versions 0.6.0 and 0.7.0, I cannot delete the desktop shortcut placed by the installer. I checked the permissions and Administrators (I am logged in as an Administrator) have Full Control.

Apparently the installer placed shortcut into “Public Desktop” (under \Users\Public). I was able to delete it by going to the Public Desktop folder and deleting it from there.

Set the width to 3000 (from 2660), but the image was not enlarged.

2022-08-19-22-08-1.tzlog (116.3 KB)

Patch 0.7.1 has fixed the black screen issue for me too but I did notice that in version 0.6 the noise reduction was better and in 0.7.1 I need to increase it manually but thanks for the patch I’m sure it will get a lot better;)

Lightroom plugin does not work now. Will not start up!

This is not just an issue for some Windows users.
An earlier poster indicated that the problem occurred with his Mac running the latest version of Monterey. I had the same problem with my Mac Studio/Monterey but decided to reset the ICC for the Studio monitor to its default. I had previously used ccStudio (as per Anony.Mouse) which is used to calibrate the monitor. Now that I am using the default profile for the monitor, images are properly displayed in Photo AI v0.7.

1 Like

Hi Gregory

Thanks for your reply.

I can’t really say how long but it would be at least a few minutes.

I have tried v0.6 and now v0.7. It gets stuck at various stages of the download. For example if it gets stuck at say file no 24 and I eventually force close it and restart it might go to say file 30 and get stuck again. I have been up to file 48 at one point with v0.6.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall in the normal way but that did not help. Also tried a special uninstaller and system cleanup without success. Not being an IT expert, I have limited ability and runout of ideas.

It’s early Saturday morning here in Australia and I probably won’t be able to have another go at this until later in the day but any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ross

The hotfix release coming later today should have some extra progress messages that will say what the installer is doing between the downloads. I’d try that once it’s available.

If it’s showing a bunch of “Verifying file” messages during the time where it doesn’t seem to be doing anything, I’d suggest leaving it for a bit longer. There’s a lot of model files, so we double check if the ones on disk are good to reuse when you run the installer, unfortunately this can sometimes take a good amount of time on some machines.

v0.7.1
Released August 19, 2022
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 0.7.0:

• Fixed blank preview on certain monitors
  • Fixed windows installer not always installing exiftool, and show better warning for when it’s missing
  • Tweaked various dialogs
  • Plugin now automatically installs to Photoshop Elements’ plugins folder on mac (previously only did so on Windows)
1 Like

Let you known that apparently up to now most of the problems I reported disappeared with version 0.7.1
Probably solve with the new installation procedure

Win 11. AMD processor. Ps 2022 Plugin. PAI .7 rel. (just saw there’s a .7.1 - guess I’d better try that too to be sure no issues… but here’s what I just invested time testing with the .7 Plugin.

• .7 rel Plugin launched fine from my Ps layer & processed images okay. I tested 2 diff. pics with people/faces & one ‘scenic’. All started with AutoPilot = ON.

• I get mixed results wrt AutoPilot (A.P.) detecting Faces.

With image I’ve used previously, A.P. still doesn’t detect her but detects 4 other ppl in the scene. She’s the only one wearing glasses. Yet, my next test photo had 2 fully visible faces w/ppl wearing glasses and both were detected (even if not straight on to camera…).

• When there are ppl in a scene A.P. does a mostly thorough job detecting them as Subjects (with some gaps in the color overlay displayed).

When more misc objects in a scene (like my test scenic) the Subject detection gets dicier. NOTE: Perhaps photogs should use that as a hint that their composition is too cluttered… Seriously, though, not every scene will likely have easily detectable objects (though Ps’ new tool seems to be very effective capturing them for most images)

• I like the text notation under Resize that says - at least for now - the resize func. is not avail. as a Ps Plugin component of PAI. That’s very helpful. Lets users know their installation isn’t broken.

• Images Do Save back from the PAI Plugin (Ps 2022) to my layer stack in a relatively zippy way. I can see the sharpening (or other) changes made in PAI when I turn the PAI layer eye OFF/ON.

Snips - labelled in filenames:

Girl (wearing glasses) whose face isn’t detected by A.P. (other faces in shot are detected) has missing overlay on just her face in the Subject Detect too …
Fotomaker_PAIdot7-PsPlugin-SubjDetectionAP-NoteMissingFaceOnGlassesGirl

Here’s a snip of the image w/out overlay. The (nicely visible!) Face Detect Box is Not around her head, but I can’t capture that to show:

Face Detect Did Sense the 2 Glasses Wearers here, but not partial guy (I can’t snip with the face detect enabled):

1 Like