Topaz Photo AI v0.7

Hello everyone!

This week’s release has a lot of fixes, particularly related to color spaces and color profiles. While we still have several big features in the works (and of course many more planned for after the big 1.0), focus is starting to move towards focusing on a smooth, stable, and polished experience. We’d love to hear your feedback on what you’d like to still see between here and release.

If you own DeNoise, Sharpen, and Gigapixel with up-to-date licenses then you have access to Photo AI. You will need to claim a Photo AI license by going to your account before you’ll be able to login.

This is an early access release, so there will be some issues you may run across. Issue reports and general feedback are much appreciated. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it to us at this dropbox link. Below the changelog are a list of issues we’re already aware of.

v0.7.2
Released August 22, 2022
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 0.7.1:

• Fix file extension not being properly preserved in external editors

v0.7.1
Released August 19, 2022

Changes since 0.7.0:

• Fixed blank preview on certain monitors
  • Fixed windows installer not always installing exiftool, and show better warning for when it’s missing
  • Tweaked various dialogs
  • Plugin now automatically installs to Photoshop Elements’ plugins folder on mac (previously only did so on Windows)

v0.7.0
Released August 18th, 2022

Changes since 0.6.0:

• Add warning dialog for closing the app before saving
  • Lower threshold for subject detection
  • Recolored license manager to make it more visually clear
  • Redesigned resize section of the right panel
  • Downscaling is now limited to 0.5x
  • Made face indicators visually clearer, and have more consistent thicknesses
  • Removed “Use these settings for all” button
  • Fixed non-sRGB colorspaces appearing incorrectly in the preview
  • Fixed app updates not always being checked for on launch
  • Fixed inconsistencies with autopilot suggested value indicators
  • Fixed Enhance filter sometimes causing preview to update multiple times
  • Fixed clicking on preview sometimes causing the preview to update
  • Fixed camera profiles not being applied correctly
  • Fixed some devices having missing model files
  • Fixed error when saving non-RAW images as DNG (will now save as TIFF instead)
  • Fixed file size estimation not working when exporting as DNG
  • Fixed app rarely not closing correctly, which would prevent new instances from being opened
  • Fixed various display issues when used as a PS plugin
  • Fixed navigator sometimes cutting off parts of an image, when it is very small
9 Likes

The windows version 0.7 does not show the photo. Screen is black.

2 Likes

If I convert a raw file from Olympus OMD EM1-mk2 to DNG inside Lightroom, open and process it in Photo AI then save back as DNG then Lightroom shows the same as in Photo AI’s preview. Also Lightroom knows what camera took the photo and allows camera matching profiles to be applied.

However if I open the original raw file directly in Photo AI and apply the same adjustments Photo AI’s preview looks the same as when working on the converted DNG. However if the image is then saved as DNG and opened in Lightroom it

• has significant red cast over the image
  • Lightroom is not able to identify the camera that took the original photo and so does not display camera matching profiles.

I can supply files or screen shots if required, tell me how you would like them transferred.

Running on M1 iMac under Monterey 12.5.1

Same here just a black screen, Win 10.
Going from Lightroom and On1, same if using stand alone…

2 Likes

Mac mini M1 (2020)

Photo AI in standalone mode
Noticed that clicking on any part of the frame (right, left or bottom) the file dialog opens. This didn’t cause a problem but I didn’t know if it was supposed to do that.

Photo AI as Plugin in Affinity Photo 1.10.5
No problems

Photo AI crashes when called as Plugin from ON1 PhotoRAW 2022.5. While this may not be a supported host it has worked on all the previous beta versions I have tried. I had a 0.4 installation file so downgraded to this as test and this could be called without crashing.

I have a copy of the crash report if required.

Running on M1 iMac under Monterey 12.5.1

NOTE TO ALL.

If you are suffering a black screen on Windows make sure that, if you have a NVIDIA GPU, NVIDIA Surround is not running.

For me, Photo AI will not complete the install on my Windows 10 Dell desktop system.
The installer freezes at the end of a file download and will not allow a Cancel. It must be stopped via Task Manager and then reboot. The install goes to Repair but the download freezes again on the next file or later, it seems random.
I am using v0.7 but the same happened with v0.6.
I have done a full install on my laptop and like the programme.
Logs are attached.
2022-08-19-10-31-0.tzlog (8.2 KB)
2022-08-19-10-48-17.tzlog (7.5 KB)
2022-08-19-10-49-17.tzlog (8.4 KB)

Hope this helps. I have given up trying to install for now

Ross Anderson

Hi Ross. Could you do something for me using the Command Prompt?

1. Make sure the installer of v0.7.0 is in your Downloads folder
  2. Open Command Prompt from your Start menu. You can type in Command Prompt in Search and open it.
  3. Type in cd downloads and hit Enter.
  4. Type in msiexec /i TopazPhotoAI-0.7.0.msi /l*v logfile.txt (you can also copy and paste it there) and hit Enter.
  5. The installer should open up. Run it as usual.
  6. After reproducing the problem and closing the installer, please send me “logfile” created in your Downloads folder.

Thank you!

Hi - yes, can you please send me the Apple crash report and the log file from the same timestamp of the crash from ~/Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Photo AI/Logs/

Alternatively, you can re-open the app in standalone mode and send me the corresponding log file from Help > Open Log Folder. Thank you.

Hi! Please send me the original image through: Dropbox and let me know once you’ve sent it. Thank you!

Hi! Does the image look black as soon you import it or once the preview has finished updating? If you could send me a screenshot of how it looks like and your log file from Help > Open Log Folder, that’d be helpful. Thank you!

Hi Sydney - can you also send me a screenshot of the black screen and your log file from Help > Open Log Folder, please? Thank you.

It seems that Autopilot, although active, doesn’t apply Sharpen settings automatically. You can see in this image that I need to manually activate Sharpen even though it identifies that it is Motion Blur:

Sharpen activated …

2 Likes

Chroma noise issues with the RAW model …

DeNoise certainly does a better job because of the ability to control the amount of Chroma/Detail recovery although both get confused with fringing:

Hi Yazi
I ran the installer and attach the logfile.
The installer can’t be closed normally, it has to be force closed via Task Manager and then a reboot is needed before the installer can be run again.

Thanks
Ross
logfile.txt (3.7 MB)

1 Like

Uploaded the error files from On1 plugin crash to your Dropbox.

1 Like

Uploaded the RAW file loaded into Photo AI that returns a DNG with significant colour cast, and the DNG returned to your Dropbox.

1 Like

2022-08-18-21-49-39.tzlog (155.2 KB)

1 Like

If you go to faces found the squares show up on black where faces should be. Looks like the program is working but no display of the photo. Same in both plug in or stand alone.