Topaz Photo AI v0.3

I get where you come from with the comments, but have to say that , as shown with a sorbet image in earlier post, I see something else. The image derived from the AI 3 conversion shows a notable footprint of change in the mid tone area . Look at image 1 and 3 and note the foreground clipped hedge and the lack of tone variation . Again look at the other hedges and the distant fields … so lift the image you might say , but the sky is lighter in 3 ! It is a specific shift in the tonal range that would need a very carefully designed curve to lift to overcome the log look…and similar when used on auto and the 1 stop under .

1 Like

Ken - can you please send me the original image as well?

You want to buy the original raw ? lol

Yes. I see the changes. Needless to say I ignored #2, because I (personally) think the result is sub-standard. I like having Comparison View in the processing products for the very reason that we can pick the processing anomalies that suit our own indiv. tastes vs be stuck with what a robot is programmed to tell us is (in its opinion - or the opinion of whoever programmed it…) “best”. That’s why I like manual controls and masking and other good stuff like that, too - vs a fully automated processing product.

But - back to the two street scene images. I’ll tell you what I see (and pretend I’m Autopilot assessing what’s visible) - it’s a nice street scene, BTW:

Image #1 (top):

• More sky detail (if in Ps I’d figure I could live with it if I wanted a “real” sky)
  • Background hills (?) show less tonal value variation
  • Skewed heavily to yellows & warm hues
  • Noticeably more contrast
  • Generally more saturation

Image #3 (bottom):

• Sky is completely washed out (if I was viewing this in Ps I’d use Sky Replacement for sure)
  • Background hills (?) exhibit more midtone and shadow depth
  • Skewed much more green/cooler than #1
  • Exhibits somewhat less contrast than #1
  • Colors are generally less saturated than #1

I always look at the previews/results with the AI products (with a Comparison View - which I prefer to start with - when available) from both the perspective of: (A) How does the AI-processed image look relative to my original photo (that I was motivated to capture so there must have been something in it other than the elements that I liked), (B) How does the AI output help me present what I want my image to look like or how that place made me feel (if the camera capture didn’t do it justice).

I’m a Ps user. I mostly work with the Topaz products as plugins to Ps. So perhaps my viewpoint is skewed to the fact that I will more than likely make add’l modifications in Ps. But I want to get the best possible output from the Topaz Fixit Kit components that will help me get to the ultimate look I hope to achieve. To me, that means - Denoising w/out over-softening or smoothing or desaturating, Sharpening to an extend that revives details and perks them up a bit (w/out adding halos or squiggly worm artifacts or over-saturating), Recovering less than ideal Facial Details and Enlarging in a way that brings all these just-mentioned items to a desired size scale. Don’t want much, do I? :wink:

Fred, can you please send me example images here? Would like to see the images specifically for the TIFF color shift in the preview and the sharpening not being as good as in Sharpen AI. You can send the files through Dropbox. Thank you!

Hi Robert - can you please send me this image through Dropbox? Thank you.

Sacha - would you mind sending me an example of this through Dropbox, please? Thank you!

Thanks, Stewart. Autopilot is currently not enabling sharpen on all images. If you could send me this image through Dropbox, that’d be great as we’re working on improving the Autopilot accuracy.

Hi Scott, can you please recreate the crash and then re-open the app and send me your last 3 log files from Help > Open Log Folder?

Thanks, Jose. Are you getting this block in the updated preview or only in the output? If you could also share with the me the original RAW image through Dropbox and let me know if you run into this in standalone or only in the external editor mode with Lightroom Classic. Thank you!

Just to check why Sharpen increased the noise in the image :wink:

Yazi… I sent 3 files via your dropbox link.
All processes were selected using the Automatic options. Since, the color shift only seems to be present within PhotoAI as it received the TIFF file, and doen’t get saved back to the TIFF file when you Save and Apply the PhotoA! results… I had to do a screen shot of the differences…

Again the “better” image was using Denoise and Sharpen’s Auto settings… as compared to PhotoAI’s Auto settings… Which file is which should be obvious from the file names… but give me a shout if these aren’t clear as to which is which…

1 Like

Hi, I asked this question in a earlier thread without any answer so!!
Will TP AI be a plugin accessible from Lightroom? I still work with L/R 6 perpetual as my DAM and can use Denoise, Sharpen etc from there, also I am using On1 Photo Raw in an attempt to get away from L/R but although I have made an option to open an image with TP AI it will open but no image appears.
Thankyou.

Hi again!

Here is the original ORF (OM-1)

The resulting TIFF that I edited in Topaz

I went from Lightroom Classic to Topaz Photo AI (using the Edit in … menu).
I tried to reproduce the issue but was not able to, a second pass gave me a flawless result. I suppose the log file could have some information about what went wrong.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Yazi , if you are referring to the comment that the 1 stop under exposure on the CR2 when developing with AI Photo 3 on Auto , in my opinion lifting the exposure this far after conversion caused the adverse noise in the image… this was a guess , and I am sure could be reproduced with any CR2 following similar process. The image I was playing with , and from which I took the tight clip, is a commercial image from a food shoot and sadly I cant release it. :frowning: If however you correct the under exposure issue in a “next update” I would be happy to rerun the process.

Hi Yazi,
I’ve put the logs in a zip file into your dropbox link.
Thanks,

Scott

1 Like

I’m using it as a plugin from Lightroom right now…

1 Like

Just installed the new 3.0 version. It took about 20 minutes to fully install. With denoise on I get a white screen. When I turn it off image appears and there remains some level of denoise applied. Also Sony raw file saved as DNG file in Topaz Denoise opens as a tiny preview. Scale to fit =1000%

1 Like

Hi Yazi, I have uploaded my file. You should get notice from dropbox soon. Cheers, Rob

1 Like

Hi Yazi,

I still see this issue when the processor is set to auto and noise reduction is turned on. If I select CPU or GPU or turn of noise in auto, I don’t get the white background.

1 Like