Topaz Photo AI v0.3

A new version, I just noticed! :wink:

I agree with others who say they want to override some Autopilot settings without leaving Autopilot.

I update my earlier report about graphics glitches in macOS Ventura b3 and PAI 0.3 on M1, it’s still there (Enhance>Natural only). Ventura is coming, let’s see if we can figure this out before too long:

Fun fact: The new version installed much faster on the M1 over wi-fi than it did on an Intel laptop over ethernet.

Otherwise so far, the app is shaping up nicely! I was worried at the very beginning but the devs have a plan
 Nice features and functionality being added.

More tests:

Greyscale image opened fine but faces not recognized:

Manual override works. We could use a means to edit the face mask to fix the blend at hair, chin, ears, neck:

On Mac, Command-W closes the image successfully but does not warn about unsaved edits.

Canon CR2 RAW file open fine. Adjustments are good, BUT basic enhancement options are missing (even Levels alone would be helpful).

All of these flagship Topaz enhancements are great but why is basic stuff missing? This forces the user over to another app to finish up. Grab some stuff from Topaz Studio, which works in Ventura, yes! :wink:

2 Likes

omg that’s a installation process. is this for a photo software or for a rocket scientists nuclear reactor management? I think that’s the most time consuming installation process I have ever seen. Even on my 100 mbit line. :eyes:

Autopilot describes as “in focus” images that clearly aren’t. Here’s a couple of split screen examples after I’ve manually selected Sharpen:

I’ll also echo the comments above - I’d prefer to not have to turn autopilot off before I can manually select other functions.

5 Likes

Installation was fast but bc i went over 0.2, not sure if you’re supposed to full uninstall each one but it sure was a time saver.

I get a few strange lines both in the preview and in the final image. Is that some sort of a watermark or is it working as intended? Overall I think the sharpening is too strong even on the lowest possible setting!

Should this version work with JPG format?
Read somewhere it should, but not working at my Win PC, not Auto, not individual filters.

Am I wrong and JPG support is not yet ready?

Yes it should.

Here’s one I just ran on Win 11:

1 Like

I am getting error in processing Canon Raw file it is giving me error cannon create output file

I was just able to open & process a couple Canon .CR2 images & save one out as a .tiff to a location of my choice on my Win 11 PC (see snips attached):

** I chose the option to save as a .tiff (there are other options listed also). You cannot choose the option to ‘Preserve Input Format’ if starting with a Raw b/c it’s not possible to save as a Raw image.

What is the system you’re using? OS, processor, etc.

Hi Yazi, I think that in its simplest form, as you have here, Autopilot is functional and intuitive. Also, the “auto(pilot)” detections are getting better.

2 Likes

Hi Yazi, the Autopilot didn’t pick-up that this image is out of focus, as you can see from the screen capture:

I would also suggest that preserve image format is inappropriate for RAW images because the options for ColorSpace shouldn’t default to the camera format which will only be sRGB or AdobeRGB.

1 Like

Choosing Preserve Image Format on a RAW image will output a TIFF 

There seems to be a problem as you will see in the screen shots, When I open a NEF file from Nikon Z9 after it does it’s auto the image goes white. And on the TIFF file it doesn’t look good.

When using my Cr3 files from my Canon EOS R5 these two problems are fixed:the color reproduction is correct. Portrait photos are displayed correctly upright:

The problem with the white preview image when using NVIDIA GPU still exists! As soon as I turn on “Remove RAW Noise”, whether with automatic setting or manually set to 0, 100 and any other arbitrary value, whether other functions are turned on or not, everything is completely white in the preview as well as in the saved photo. (In the split screen, of course, only in the preview area. As you move the split screen slider, the white area moves with it.) See screenshot 2:

Hi, do you experience the white preview problem like me only when using the GPU? If so, what graphics card and operating system are you using? What happens when you work with CPU?

I haven’t tried the CPU shouldn’t have to but here are my specs in the screenshot

1 Like

Bad processing of RAW files and other difficulties
I try to process a RAW file . The AutoPilot tell me Dn 80 Sh 42 but the result is poor still a lot of noise when . so I demosaic this RAW with DXO PL with Denoising OFF and exported a TIFF file . And this this file process with PAI is giving a much better result compared to the RAW processing Autopilot give tell me Dn80 sh 15
Here the comparison Left the RAW process Right the Tiff process

Other troubles Pretty sure two times the save process overwrite my original file
Also while loading (drag and drop ) successively RAW and TIFF I got trouble in the interface Autopilot not working No filters Activ . finally Black Screen . Trouble with the display inside PAI even the print screen not working correctly closing and reopening PAI change nothing I had to reboot the PC Windows for PAI to work again
On this print screen you can also see some aberations given by Autopilot with this Tiff file (Enhance Dn0 SH0 ??)

my PC pretty standart I5 12th, 32Gb , GPU RTX 3060 12Go
I am supposed to speak with linyu kong monday(my name christian lenclud)

When it’s working results may be quite good specially on TIFF not with RAW

I have odd behaviour with JPG, now denoise doesn’t work no matter of model or strength and even removes effects of active sharpen and enhance (on a preview at least, didn’t try to save a picture)

with RAW everything works

1 Like

I am using M1 MAX macbook pro with 64GB ram

1 Like

Using an old Nikon NEF file from a friend causes a “weird” error when Denoiase and Face Recovery are enabled. The Preview is not simply white but the detected Face is shown.

When reducing Face Recovery Strength to e.g.50, the shown face becomes more and more hidden: