Topaz isaving files at 92 dpi; the original file is 300 dpi and I need to supply 300 dpi file. How do I fix this?

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1 Edit 300 dpi photo in Topaz using auto pilot
  2. Step 2 Save photo
  3. Step 3

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

You’ll need to supply more detail to identify the cause of this issue.

If I save a tiff or jpeg in PhotoAI the DPI metadata stays unaltered in the output file, but saving as png strips out most metadata from the file including DPI (not unusual for a file format mostly used for web graphics rather than printing).

How are you checking the DPI metadata?

I am a novice at this. I am selecting a jpeg file with 300 dpi, running it through Topaz using the autopilot, usually, and then saving the file - still jpeg - with a new name extension -topaz. When I look at the saved file, sometimes it has the same dpi and sometimes it has a dpi of 96. I want to take the topaz jpeg file and put it into a word document which I am using Bookbaby to publish. The editors at Bookbaby tell me that my pictures should be at least 300 dpi if possible.
I don’t understand how the new topaz files, which are larger in size and look better, have a lower dpi?

Oh, and I check dpi by opening the picture and then asking for file information.

Betty… You need to tell us more info… What OS are you using? What program are you using to “open” the picture with? DPI is only relative to resolution in the sense that it’s a “printer” metric… and resolution is measured in pixels/in… What are you using to “create” the picture??? A camera? A cell phone???

DPI is just a tag in a file that can tell a piece of software such as a printer interface or desktop publishing what size the image should be on a printed page, but it doesn’t change the actual image file on your system.

A 6000x4000 pixel dimension image will simply be printed smaller on the page at 300dpi, but larger at 96dpi (at 96dpi it would be far too big for the page). You can just override this behaviour in whatever software your using and make it as large or small as you want on the printed page.

Thank you so much for the education. Is it okay to put the lower dpi files in my word document? I want the book to look good. Do you know why Topaz is changing the dpi? Can I change it back?

I have Windows and I am using file explorer to open the picture. The pictures are old ones taken by camera and then scanned into my computer using the HP Smart app from my printer, which is HP OfficeJet Pro 7740, or by Plustek ephoto.

As long as the pixel dimensions of the image are high enough you should be fine. A 6000x4000 image can easily be printed at a size of 20 inches on it’s longest side.

I know how to change the dpi metadata in Photoshop if you have it, but there are probably other ways too.

Thank you so much again. I do not have Photoshop - my sister does and she says I don’t want to get involved in that complexity.

A little tangential information related to this – Photo AI currently doesn’t have the ability to change PPI settings (e.g., to go from 72 to 300 PPI within the app itself) but should retain whatever the original image’s PPI is after processing right now.

We plan to add the ability to change the PPI of your image within Photo AI as a feature sometime in the next calendar quarter.

1 Like

Check your source Preston. it absolutely does. 1.3.9 absolutely constantly and without fail changes at least the metadata from 300dpi to 72dpi on every single jpg file I save with remove noise, sharpen, enhance res, and upscale 2x. As a sports photographer, most of my files I submit are required to be/show that they are minimum 300dpi. Renders this software unusable for me as a professional as this is adding costly steps to my workflow.

1 Like

Please send me 2 files where the DPI changes from 300 to 72. Send the original at 300 and the output.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

I tested JPG and TIF files but was not able to reproduce this issue with v1.3.9.

I am having the exact same issue - completely worthless for a pro photographer.

We are adding a resolution control to the Autopilot so you can set a global preference for preserving input resolution or changing it to a set resolution.

That will be in the update this week or next week.

hello Topaz

I have the same problem, and my resolution is 72 dpi :frowning:
Was this solved?

Yes, please update your version of Photo AI. You’ll be able to manually control the default resolution in the Autopilot settings.

Resolution can be controlled in the Preferences > Upscaling menu here: