Strange artifacts with frame interpolation

Hey everyone, I just got Topaz Video AI yesterday and so far I am really enjoying the upscaling and frame interpolation features. However I am experiencing some strange artifacts with one of my shots that I was hoping to at least get an explanation as to why its happening so I can try to avoid it in the future.

I’m using version 4.0.7 with the Proteus Enhance MQ model for upscaling from 1080p to 4k and Chronos for interpolating frames from 24fps to 30fps.
My computer specs are as follows
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
RTX 3070Ti
128gb ddr4 RAM

Basically in one segment of one of the shots I’m using these features for I see there is some weird grainy almost grid like patterning appearing on parts of the terrain. I guess my confusion comes from not understanding why its happening here considering I have a few other shots that also include camera moves where it isn’t a problem, it’s also only happening at this specific portion of the animation which is confusing for me. It almost seems like its attempting to add detail but I only have enhancement and frame interpolation on currently, not adding any noise/grain or anything else for that matter (stabilization ect)

Any help as to how to go about fixing this or at the least some insight as to why this might occur would be extremely helpful and much appreciated, thanks!

I’ve included a screenshot that shows an upscaled interpolated frame with the mentioned artifacts on the left and an example of an upscaled original frame on the right.

Apologies if this thread was posted in the wrong place or was already covered as I am new here, I was unable to find anyone with a similar issue in my brief search beforehand.

Chronos is known to produce patches of artifacts on some source materials which is why I never use it anymore.

Apollo is usually a better choice as it seems to do it a lot less.

Ahh okay thanks for the input. I had read elsewhere it wasn’t suggested to use Apollo with anything less than 2x speed. After reading that I figured Apollo was more for extremely slowing down footage and wouldn’t work well with footage that wasn’t already slow mo to some extent

I’ll try it out and get back to you, thanks

Actually seemed to make it worse in this case, this artifact patterning is pretty consistent throughout the terrain now. It’s not so jittery since it isn’t as sectionalized as before but it clearly lowered the quality for some reason. Not sure if its worth mentioning but I’ve been exporting as png sequences as my pipeline currently is to run each individual shot through Topaz and then compile in after effects.
I prefer to work with image sequences to avoid compression as much as possible.

I’ll probably abandon frame interpolation for this shot but any insight into why this is happening or any tips on how to avoid it in the future would be helpful

Well that looks pretty bad. Can you try it with video output instead of an image sequence and see if it makes any difference?

Seems to give a similar result, maybe a little less noticeable in some places but still lowers the quality of the terrain overall

I used default export settings

I had the exact same problem you are having upscaling from 1080p > 2160p and 24FPS > 48 FPS, using Apollo and Proteus. My fix turned out to be setting ‘Add Noise’ to at least 3 in Proteus.

1 Like

I say “fix” but the output turns out to be very noisy. More testing is needed.

Are you still seeing the same issues in the latest version of Video AI?

I ended up returning Topaz video AI as I began noticing the same artifacting in the other shots I had used it on which I had not noticed before, so it seems to be a more widespread issue than I originally thought. I don’t think Topaz video AI is exactly suitable for my needs in its current state but I will certainly revisit it in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.