Sharpen AI v4.1.0

Same issue as @clarkj, my Sharpen AI 4.1 install suddenly crashes on launch.

It did work before. Weird…

When using this latest version of Sharpen AI with a 240dpi jpeg file, the end result is a smaller file almost half the physical size and still 240dpi. Isn’t a smaller file size lesser quality? I’ve only ever seen an increase in file size in all previous versions of Sharpen AI as well as DeNoise AI and that makes total sense to me. Smaller files make no sense if sharpening has occurred. Why the change? I’m using SharpenAI’s standalone app on a Windows 10 PC.

DPI has no bearing on file size it is used by printers to print the image. Check the quality you are saving as in the preferences.

1 Like

Update: After the crash on launch issue did occur when connected to my eGPU, I launched on the built-in GPU and it started. Now it also launched on the eGPU again. Weird.

See my post above about the same thing. Last week suddenly Sharpen AI 4.1.0, Denoise AI 3.6.2, and Gigapixel AI 6.0.0 all suddenly started crashing on startup. All 3 programs have worked fine for over a year, but suddenly stopped working.

Have you raised a support request as you were asked to do?

Sigh. Another reminder of what I have already written days ago. And I submitted a support request before you suggested it and even before I posted asking a question about logs here.

Is there a possibility to save own custom masks? E.g. handy to have that to have a mask that rule out nadirs in 360 panorama photos during the sharpening since those are getting weird. Unless there be support for fisheye lenses’ distortions?

1 Like

@anthony.lawn Is Sharpen AI still being developed? Been a while since the last update.

1 Like

It has been awhile, but I assure you it will be updated again.

1 Like

Will there be a way to have the masked area have sharpen and denoise, but the non-selected area have only denoise?

Sharpen AI when using a mask will sharpen and denoise the masked area, but the non-masked area does not get denoise. That means I have always found the masking to be useless. I always have to use Photoshop to combine two images: one which has been run through Sharpen AI and one which has been run through Denoise AI. Then in Photoshop I have to create a mask so the Sharpen AI part is combined with the Denoise AI part.

2 Likes

A question to everyone, maybe someone has faced a similar problem.
I always keep the model folders for all programs from the Topaz package on a separate SSD drive (W:) and all programs have always worked without problems.
Recently, after installing the latest Windows 10 Pro 21H2 updates (KB5012170),(KB5016616), the program began to hang periodically.
I decided to reinstall the program. I uninstalled the current version 4.1.0, but when I tried to install it again, I got a message from the installer: “W:\is not writable by the current user”.
error3

I tried to start the installer as an administrator, tried to change the folder, tried to change the owner of the folder and access rights to it.
I tried to clean the registry from the remnants of old versions of the program using Revo Uninstaller.
Nothing helps!

A strange pattern was discovered:
Any version of the program “Topaz Sharpen AI” during installation allows you to choose as a storage location for models, disk (C:) ONLY.
Any other program from the Topaz package allows you to choose ANY DISK as a storage location for models.
This is the situation at the moment.

I wrote a message to tech support, but I can’t solve the problem yet.

The resource directory, I would think, cannot be placed on a removable drive as it will place that in the ProgramData directory which would not be there.

What version of Sharpen AI are you trying to install?

Note that I haven’t seen that installer message as the installers I have downloaded display C:\ProgramData as the default and I simply change the C to D which is my second hard disk.

I am trying to reinstall version 4.1.0, which, along with other programs from the Topaz package, was installed on the system SSD nvme disk “C:”,
while the model folders for all programs from the Topaz package were located on another physical, also internal, SSD nvme disk “W:”.
All programs worked fine until the latest Windows 10 security update was automatically installed, which broke the work of “Sharpen_AI” and “Denoise_AI”.
I installed “Denoise_AI (3.7.1-rc1)”, but I can’t reinstall “Sharpen_AI”.
More precisely, the installer does not have enough rights to create a folder for models anywhere except the “C:” disk.
The developers acknowledge the problem and promise a new installer in 3 months.
I have solved the problem so far by ordering the installer to install the model files in a folder from the old version 3.3.3, which was found in my backup, and which i was unpacked and then placed on disk “W:”.
It’s work, but It is not yet possible to install model files in any other new or old folder that is not on the “C:” disk.

In addition, a few more oddities were discovered.
For example, it turned out that the folders of model files for programs that stopped working correctly (“DenoiseAI” and “SharpenAI”) have unlimited access rights for the “all” user group, while the folders of models from other programs from the Topaz package do not have such a group at all.

It’s strange that you don’t see two installer requests.
The first request is where to install the program and the next request is where to install the model files.
All three programs from the graphics package and “Video Enhance AI” always show these requests.
At least for me…
Only very old versions of these programs worked without such requests.

I suspect that all this started at a time when the programs had model managers, as in version 3.3.3.
Then the managers were removed, but the registry entries were preserved.
In favor of this version is the fact that when I tried to clear the registry of all Topaz entries yesterday, Revo Uninstaller in the most advanced mode of operation, was able to detect very detailed user settings for “SharpenAI v. 3.3.3”, but could not delete them.
On the other hand, it is possible that the presence of this entry in the registry allowed me to restore the functionality of the program by installing version 3.3.3, and then installing the latest version 4.1.0.

I pointed out to you I do get the request about resources and it defaults to the C drive ProgramData folder where I just change it to D and the thing that is different to what you have said is that both the Program and ProgramData folder are on the same drive.

Using Windows 10 you may need to do the same to run it in the meantime … along with installing by right clicking on the installer and selecting “Run as administrator “, as it seems to be a glitch in Win 10 where even if your I’d is an admin it sometimes doesn’t follow through with those rights to drives other than the drive that the application is installed on.

You should be able to get around it by creating a Program and ProgramData folder on your W drive and installing the application and resources there. But use run as administrator as well as a admin user I’d.

To change the install location you will find it in the registry entry, it will need to be deleted before installing.

The easiest way in Win 10 etc. is to create a junction point. Google it.

I know about junctions, what are you talking about?

Maybe others have mentioned this, but when using the Send To mode (from On1 PhotoRaw), if I select the original photo, it gets over-written when processed. However, both DeNoise and the Photo AI alpha have the option to save the image as a separate file. Am I missing something or is this something that should/could be added to Sharpen AI?

Sharpen AI was last updated on 2022/3/24. Previously it had been updated usually 1 or more times per month. Are there going to be no more bug fixes and improvements?

4 Likes

Getting a severe color shift when using RAW (NEF). Any plans to correct this as it’s been going on for multiple versions?

1 Like