Sharpen AI v3.1

Just updated to 3.1.1 (Win 10 - full installer) & ran the standalone product.

Glad the auto detect objects is now gone. It never accurately ID’d any of my images/subjects. Would like it back if it gets to > 90% accuracy …

I’m still unhappy with how poorly the Edge Aware ID’s edges and forces the overlay & mask to adhere to masked object/subject edges. I am always careful to keep the center Brush circle inside the area I want masked. And, I’ve also experimented with various “thresholds” (aka, edge softness/hardness) to see what is optimal. I can’t find an optimal.

I also wish the Edge Aware choice was “sticky” and that I could set it & have it hold however I’ve set it from one time until the next. I’m speaking philosophically & on principle about this since the feature isn’t accurate enough for me but I hate having to keep turning it on each time I use the masking. If others prefer it off then it should be sticky off too. However, a user frequently uses the feature it should be ‘sticky’ that way for convenience & efficiency.

Snip of latest (best attempt of various size/threshold tries) result of Edge Aware in this rel. of SAI. As noted on the snip, I get the same type of results even with images that have more distinguishable edges (color, clarity, dehaze) in other images too:

Is it intentional that the autodetct mode is missing? Or is this a new bug? There is nothing about this in the descriptions of the changes. I found the autodetect mode helpful.

@jmrkaufhold @Fotomaker The Find Objects button missing is indeed a bug, and will be back in the next patch.

1 Like

3.1.1 actually installs on my Win10 machine. Halos are still there.
Original - 2.2.4 - 3.1.1

Screengrab on Flickr because this forum won’t let me post images :frowning:

2 Likes

You need to get the full information from the event log.

Yes, the same halo artifact I get with the new 3. series. Sad to say.

So, there are a few items that are not working in the latest version of Sharpen AI 3.1. I’m running MAC OS 11.3.1 on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 processor with 32gb memory and a Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card):

1. It takes a LONG time to make the edits/changes

2. It won’t export the image back to LR after editing in the program (same goes for Denoise AI’s newest version)

Any suggestions?

JP

I use a Mac. Should I download Online or Full? What’s the difference?

Either. Full will download the whole installation dmg, online downloads an installer which then installs online from the server. Hope that makes sense!

What about general quality output between 2.2.2 vs 2.4.2? I mean all functions (sharpen, blur, defocus)?

Is there any way to find 2.4.2 to download? There is 2.2.4 on the list.

I don’t think there was a Sharpen AI 2.4.2 - rather we went from 2.2.4 straight to version 3.0.0.

There was a 2.4.2 for Denoise but none for Sharpen.

“Sharpen AI 3.1 does a worse job on removing motion blur than version 1.9 (the 1’st version I used) !
2.2.2 was better and 2.4.2 was the best.” - raw_edge00.
So there was 2.2.4 , yes?
So is it worth upgrading to 2.2.4 having 2.2.2?

So there was mistake in the message.

Are old versions available for download? I need to get in the habit of downloading updates manually (rather than letting the program download and install them for me) and tucking them away in case I need to go back to an earlier version.

If you type Topaz AI changelog you will find all programms and some version:

My first impressions of Sharpen 3.1.1:

• The object detection is missing
  • Overall performance (whether using CPU or GPU) seems noticeably slower than even 3.1

Yes, I found 2.4.2 for Denoise, not Sharpen.

Yes, as you said, it’s in the list.

I couldn’t possibly say as I’m a happy 3.1.1 user. Only you can answer that.

1 Like