Sharpen AI v3.0

How do you explain then that V2 doesn’t have the same issue with haloes except in exceptional circumstances?

I’m not too sure that v3.0.0 is an upgrade for me. I’m seeing significant differences in CPU and GPU rendering, with the GPU not as good and also displaced by a few pixels. My GPU is a 2060 Super:

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 461.92
CPU RAM: 16327 MB
Video RAM: 8192 MB
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

I can’t seem to attach images to a post - but am happy to send them to anyone interested…

I think I agreed with you on that.

2 Likes

I’m not explaining it since I’m not the developer and was speaking about my posted picture. I did go to another picture that was fairly sharp and for which I had a previous sharpening in SAI. I definitely see some halo in the new version which my older picture didn’t have. It’s shown below.

3 Likes

Update your GPU drivers from the AMD website, you can check the current version there.

V3.0 crashes on my system @200% preview. Must also agree with the halos, but can’t provide a detailed obvious example because of the crashes.

So where did you get that information from, if you own the product log in and there is no watermark even using offline.

Ditto. So frustrating.

From Release Notes March 24th, 2021–– While not logged in, or if your license is expired, your image will save with a watermark
– “Users who own the product should be able to use it offline without a watermark given they’ve logged in once and don’t log out” I hope I’m mistaken but it reads to me that I will have a licence that will expire and when that happens a watermark will be applied should I log out.

Rebooted my system, CPU works OK, GPU @ 200% still crash with side-by-side or does not update at all, 4x4 preview pretty messed up:

GPU info:
Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: AMD Radeon™ R9 270
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.14757 Core Profile Forward-Compatible Context 20.11.2 27.20.14501.18003 Most recent stable version
CPU RAM: 16335 MB
Video RAM: 2048 MB
Preview Limit: 7134 Pixels

Next step will be complete clean un-install, re-install.

Jury is still out on the halos. Whereas halos can be seen in the branches above, increasing the saturation and blacks in the original images, clearly shows that the halos were present in the original, and got more emphasized when sharpened, so I can’t tell if SAI introduced more halos, or simply emphasized what is already there but barely visible.

Original:

You do not have a license that expires, ever, if you own the product. That was made clear when you purchased the product and that for upgrades you would need to purchase an annual upgrade license after the first year if you wished to upgrade.

No change after complete clean re-install. Still crashed above 100%, eventually, even happened once in CPU mode. GPU 400% View:

Remind me of an old bug when this happened if the app was Full Screen. Not the case this time, happens all the time.

I have tried to download the update…I use MAC… no download happening…??

you are not missing anything…I’ve been trying on my Mac for quite some time… getting irritated… not working at all… download button brings me here… this was not tested well at all… they need to fix and resend,

Which download button are you referring to? And are you saying that clicking on it brings you to this page?

I was thinking the same thing about recent 2.2 releases and 3.0 too. I liked the quality of processed images much better a year ago. I find Sharpen totally useless with the halos and other artifacts added. Denoise has gotten worse too recently. With the quality going down I’m not sure I’ll renew in a couple months. Not using the Topaz programs much anymore because the output looks too processed.

4 Likes

@bernd-5082
Interesting, I found it easily this morning. Reading your comment I thought I would give you the path to the link and found myself mystified since I couldn’t find it any longer.
Oh well, fortunately I found it my browser history:
https://downloads.topazlabs.com/deploy/TopazSharpenAI/2.2.4/TopazSharpenAI-2.2.4-windows-x64-Full-Installer.exe

Here is a screen capture clearly showing haloes in V3. Note the setting for ‘Remove Blur’ The haloes are exactly the same for all ‘Remove Blur’ values.
Imgur

2 Likes

Here’s another screen capture with the Graphics processor turned off and all processing done in the CPU. The haloes are considerably reduced. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 and I’m running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Imgur

3 Likes

I downloaded yesterday, much to my dismay, well total dislike. It has ruined my workflow. I’m mid way through building a tour and captured some new 360 panoramics. The new update is not editing in the same way. Can I roll back to another version. Or am stuck with version 3.0.0. If so my clients will not be happy, I’m am now concerned about delivering these images.

Very unsatisfied customer, and from what I hear I’m not a minority! Disappointed!

1 Like