Sharpen AI v3.0

Go to the download page and click on version history. There is an option to download earlier versions in the listing. I had to fall back because Version 3 simply quits as it it doing preview updates.

Version 3 simply closes as soon as it starts to do the preview updates. Happens in stand alone and plug-in versions. I have submitted a bug report and a copy of my DX Diag report.

Does anyone know if itā€™s possible to install and use both version 2.2.4 and 3.0.0 on the same pc? Would like to try that for a direct comparison between the different versions.

It should be possible if you modify the name of the folder. We often have a beta version installed along with the production version.

Just to add a positive note. Sharpen AI v3 seems to work well for me though I have not done any extensive testing. No crashes but the first picture gave a error when saving. Saving a second time worked ok. Processing with my RX5600XT GPU is pretty fast. Below is an example where the drummerā€™s face and shirt are cleared up (camera focused on the boy).

2 Likes

Crashes as Photoshop plugin and standalone before preview render completes.

Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 801 MHz
32.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Pro 20H2
AMD Radeon R9 200 Latest drivers

Restored 2.2.4 functioning as expected

Recently updated Topaz Sharpen AI to 3.0. This is LAME that you are now forcing your Watermark on the results. This is definitely a negative. As someone who was using the previous version to to decide on weather to buy or not you should honor your 30 day free trial. This new ā€˜Watermarkā€™ is BS! Seriously get rid of it. Just makes me not want to evaluate the product and not buy.

Please do not make duplicate posts - once is enough. Iā€™ve removed the other one.

Donā€™t you mind the heavy halos on the edges? That is the whole point people used Topaz sharpening, to avoid halos. The halos are big no no in sharpening programs. Otherwise you might as well use default unsharpen mask that has been around forever.

3 Likes

I donā€™t see any halos in my example. I agree that they are not desirable.

I just noticed that this install had created a new (second) SAI shortcut on my desktop. The original 2.n one and the new one both launch SAI 3.0. The beta test SAI shortcut was unaffected.

If you donā€™t see the halos , it probably means you are not the best person to be beta testing the products. I can see them on this compressed low res image. And Iā€™ve seen them when I was testing version 3.0 on almost all the images. they are not present in all but extreme circumstances in the version 2 of sharpen. Here Iā€™ll include a screenshot. Look again at your full res images.

3 Likes

I did the update for both Denose Ai and Sharpen AI. I didnā€™t notice any improvement in speed.

Sharpen AI has a glitch in it on my Mac (10.15.7) Previously I was able to leave the Apply process as it takes a long time, and open another application such as Safari. When I do this Sharpen AI stops and the edits are lost.

Sounds like many are having performance issues. Personally I did not have issues with performance but new algorithm for sharpen is a step backwards and actually on the initial Denoise 3.0 release the images when saved were too bright, but it was fixed with 3.0.2 release. Iā€™m using that for de noise now, but still disappointed the color noise is not well controlled. And I really canā€™t use the new algorithms for the Sharpen 3.0 so Iā€™m back to previous release. Lets hope Topaz changes the algorithms to something usable in the 4.0 release.

This version is a very big backward step in my opinion. The new labeling to me is meaningless and the results are poor. I will be going back to version 2 and maybe dropping sharpen and just use denoise. A shame as I used both when the needs were different

3 Likes

That slight ā€œhaloā€ is barely visible but it was apparently derived from the motion blur in the original RAW file. Here is a section of the original file that is unprocessed. BTW, beta testing involves more than looking for halos.

1 Like

While the new labels are not meaningless they seem to be aimed toward a wider audience including novices. I would also prefer the previous labels that tell what the action is you want to take (such as sharpen) instead of what the picture has as a problem.

3 Likes

V3.0.0 is horrible, crashes all the time on WIN10. Have to downgrade to 2.2.4. Hey Topaz, whatever happened to Quality Control?

File, from the menu bar at the top of the page, then Preferences, Performance, AI Processor

Ok so meaningless was the wrong word. But in the context of what you want to do to an image they are, and I think most people are struggling to realise what each button now means.