Sharpen AI v3.0

Not available as an option on my Mac. But the issue is still that it takes 3-4 times as long with 3.0 compared to 2.?? which I used yesterday without any other changes and on the same photos as I wanted to make comparison on 2.?? and 3.0.

And when it comes to comparison. 3.0 is creating sharper images in some areas then 2.?? but it also creates bad looking halos in other. I’d rather stick with a photo that is a little less sharp but without halos than a extremely sharp photo that has halos in some areas.

Found the 2.1.8 installation file on Topaz website so will revert back to that. Unfortunately I can’t seem to fins that latast v.2 update file. Anyone know where to find it?

1 Like

They have created a new engine that allows them to react faster to our wishes.

It is also twice as fast as the old one.

And to not exclude users with old operating systems (7 years old OS that even dont get updates anymore), they have also made a version for these people.

With so much work, you can see not only the negative but also the positive.

Now it just needs some fine tuning.

Until now it has worked after a few updates.

That will be the case again now.

I have complete confidence.

3 Likes

“It is also twice as fast as the old one.”

How can you say that when several people on this board, me included, have experienced a significant slowdown with the new version?

With all do respect you are trying to justify the release as a fanboy not a working professional. If the tool you use does not deliver the results you are using it for, that is unacceptable. If you are trying to sell to users the notion that its easier for developers, that is fine, I’m sympathetic. But users are not developers, they want the tool to do the job they need it to do, and make their life easier not harder, otherwise its counterproductive.

This release has sharpening engine that delivers halos, the ultimate taboo for any self respecting sharpening algorithm. The whole reason why most people used Sharpen tool form Topaz labs vs other products was not because it was easier to code by the developers, but because it sharpened the image without halos.

Do you understand that? Even bugs and inexplicable naming changes to UI can be tolerated, but if the tool for sharpening does not sharpen the image and make it look worse, that my friend is a failure of the product.

Slowdown and crashes can be fixed with point releases and while they are annoying to reinstall and download again, I guess most people are able to tolerate it. Even patronizing and weird childish name changes in UI can be tolerated, but bad sharpening in a product that specializes in sharpening is unacceptable. Period. And since they have new algorithms looks like until possibly Sharpen 4.0 there is no point to use product that fails in one thing it supposed to do. So for the time being its sharpen version 2 for many users I imagine, until Topaz starts to put users ahead of developers, if that is really the reason behind this disappointing release.

9 Likes

Telling from the previews I checked with various images of different quality the results with this version are quite promising. For my taste it seems to work better than the previous version overall. If the halo issue on higher sharpening settings gets ironed out it’ll be even better

1 Like

i have it working on windows 10 fully updated when i open an image in sharpen ai 3 it opens and then when i change from motion blur to out of focus the programme closes

1 Like

Upgraded to v3.0. Previous version was working great on my Mac running Big Sur, both as standalone and as plugin (Lightroom / Photoshop). Now crashes every time … Apologies as I realise that others have posted on this, but I just wanted to be sure this is registered as a problem, as I have been happily using and recommending Sharpen for some time. Rolling back to 2.4.

5 Likes

The old version should be in your download file. If not, it is possible to get the package via: Help>Changelog>Products. Once you have the package for the previous version, remove the app and re-launch the older download package.

4 Likes

WOW…sorry guy/gals THIS Update 3.0 is pure garbage!!! Almost NO CONTROL of the outcome…I want to decide for MYSELF if I want to turn on autopreview! I want to have control of the amount of sharpening in an image…why don’t you make all sliders for the different settings in ONE tab…you can still have the latest design…but please make it OPTIONAL…I really wonder who ever used the “Add grain” tab because I thought this programm should create the cleanest/sharpest images possible?!? This update was great step…but in the wrong direction. Every photographer wants to have EVERY control option for his/her image…WE WANT SLIDERS! Like in Photoshop or Lightroom…but with focus on sharpening/cleaning an image.

7 Likes

Same here windows 10

Downloaded and installed uneventfully. Loaded an image and noticed it was seemingly running slower than the tested beta. Uninstalled the beta and restarted the computer anticipating this could be the issue. Seemingly not.
The issue of artifacts identified in feedback on the beta is now occurring at lower S settings. Hmm.

Hello,
I’m sorry to say that I never managed to get a decent result with Topaz.
I just tested Topaz Sharpen Ai V3.0 with an image from an old 8mm film. The result is deplorable, in any case, the image is worse than the original.
I tested the same picture with MyHeritage which gives me a really amazing result.
If you wish, I can send you these pictures.
The results obtained with the different tools of Topaz are so poor that I really feel like I was tricked.
Sorry
Bernard Trillot

2 Likes

Since the update, I keep getting the following message:
"Processing Error

Error processing image, please try again. If problem persists try updating your device drivers or switching to a different AI processor in preferences."

I tried again and again, even restarted my laptop but to no avail! What has happened?

After yesterday’s update to version 3, the program regularly crashes when updating the previews. I’ve never had any problems with the previous versions. I’m using windows 10 and Nvidia RTX 2080.

1 Like

I just installed your version 3 of Sharpen and it doesn’t work. It is unstable and changing the graphics card did nothing to fix it. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled with the previous version. Please sort your problems before launching new versions.

1 Like

HI, I uninstall version 3.00. he crached bij save image.

I just started to download this update but I think I’ll wait until the bugs are ironed out? I’m not seeing much love on this forum, was it not beta tested?

2 Likes

Yup, luckily for me the older version was in my Mac Application folder. Add me to the very disappointing newer, 3.0 version. Downloaded ok but when trying to use if both as stand-alone and as plug-in via PS it just crashes w/o any explanation. BTW I am still waiting for any update to Studio2. Keep getting that an upgrade is available and when I try it, it’s a no go. Too bad this is happening to a very popular and well-loved application.

Did same. The oder version in Mac Application, thankfully. Hit it and download it and trash newer version and wait for bug fixes.

Apart from the heavy feedback as to the functionality, I’d still appreciate a clarification from TopazLabs as to what an “expired license” means. Moreover, I’d expect a clarification concerning the usability of the software when my PC is offline while starting SharpenAI. Does closing the software include logging out, so that I cannot start it over when not connected to the Internet?

I’d hate that and it would be a show stopper as to the use of 3.0 even if the other bugs were fixed.

1 Like