RTX 3090 worth it?

The way I hear it, they’re trying to make it so that they are all sold by then. Meaning the pricing will go up for them once the 40s come out.

I figure they will be even cheaper when its closer to the 40s coming cause they wanna get rid of them

Amazon and other places other then ebay is the only place to buy from knowing a card is really new or as said the description

I wont get a amd its not worth it for getting such small difference in times that i won’t notice im looking to see a big jump

According to Developer,

So the morel of the story is: Tenser cores are just not all that amazing for this type of work load.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to return it. I’ve already gotten past that benchmark with an AIO. I have an even larger AIO for another case that I’m going to move it into. (My machine is already into the PassMark 99th percentile, with the CPU the ‘weak’ spot.) I’m hoping to improve on that.

not yet but will be better

topaz having more updates should use the cores better i wonder if 2 cards will run better then 1 in the future like they do in blender i would like that alot cause i could instead just get another 3060 and save cash instead of getting a 30 or 4080

Wait for next gen GPUs.
If it turns out true amd will again be faster in fp16 but its unclear at the moment.
So much has changed with the rumors over the time that i cant tell whats true.

And Ampere is crippled by design, Lovelance will fix that.

i already got the monster 3080 some days ago just waiting for updates from topaz

The RTX 4090 is about to be released!

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090: Release date, price, and specs

It’s going to cost less than the RTX 3090! I’m going to attempt to get onto a waiting list… :nerd_face:

That didn’t pan out! Nvidia ripping people off! Plus to reduce the risk of fire you need an ATX v3.0 PSU of around 1000W as that has the high power connections required.

I’ll probably buy a 3080 as that will fit in my case and wait a couple of years for the 4000-series to bed in.

1 Like

From what I’ve been reading, the price may be only $100.00 more than the RTX 3090, but unless you’re going for a monster model of the 4090, the power requirement will still be for a 850 Watt PSU…

It is also said to have a better-made GOU chip. A lot of the 3090s turned out to be flaky.

Currently, the price of RTX3090 has dropped to around US$900~US$1000.
The RTX4090 will at least cost US$1600.

1 Like

For the most part, I only buy new. It seems that every time I don’t. I am just buying someone else’s problems. This is especially true of OC-able components. And I like the 2 year warranty.

I had to RMA the 3090 I have now. I sent it back three times because it wouldn’t recognize the two color-Certified monitors I have. They connect via DP because of the specialized control software.

The tested and sent the original one back twice. (It cost a lot of $$$ to send it back insured all three times.) And the first two times, they couldn’t find any problems.

The third time, I got in touch with a a tech I knew years ago who had become an executive at the company. He sent a message to the head of the repair department. The assigned a tech who spent two days on just my card. I communicated with the head tech directly by phone. - very polite. (I also, sent videos of the problem.)

Finally, I asked them to just replace the card. The sent me another one and it worked perfectly. - Although, I swear it is a little slower than the first one.

So I never buy expensive OC-able components used. Now you know why.

FYI: You can easily find RTX 3090 cards on amazon brand new for under $1k.

1 Like

I have read that the networks are not deep enough.

And if they were deep enough they would be more complex to compute and the performance plus you get is eaten up by the effort.

The bottom line is that you are just as fast as before.

If you really want to see performance, you have to get the Instinct MI100, which is comparatively cheap at the moment.

It has - 184.6 TFLOPS (8:1) FP16.

That price places it very much out of the hobby realm for me. Guess I’m going to stick to running a GTX 1060 for days at a time in the basement.

Really good information though. Thanks @TPX!

I did not mention that you need a second gpu for the MI100 to get a display output. :clown_face:

I would really like to test one of these.

Or go for Intel, the A770 looks really good for its price.

A770 = 27 Teraflops FP16
RTX 3060 = 12 Teraflops FP16

I want Intel to become competitive. I might just buy one of theirs to support that future. Either way, it should be better than my 1060, provided the drivers work with VEAI.

2 Likes

FYI:

Nvidia 30x0 Series Prices Falling Fast