RTX 3090 worth it?

How long does it take to upscale 3 hours of 720 × 480 DVD content to 1920 X 1080 using a RTX 3090 24 VRAM?
i9-9900k
64 RAM
8 TB SSD
I’m thinking of buying one and wondering if its worth it.

Thank you for time

Probably about seven hours. Just a guess based off what I know of those parts.

Dam,
I was hoping it would be 6 hours or under.

Thanks

Depending on the system board you’re using, I can normally cleanup and convert (very) low quality DVD 720x480, interlaced @29.9 fps, into a 1920x1080p rendering at around 8 fps. If the input is already progressive, this will go much faster. - Like double that.

I can do a “normal” upscale from 720p to 1920x1080p in almost real time.

Currently I’m running on a Gigabyte Z590 Vision D MB with an Intel i9-111000K CPU, A Gigabyte Nvidia 3090 Vision GPU and 32 GB of G.Skill memory. The rendering drive is a 2 TB NVME drive.

If I was contemplating investing in a high-power GPU, I would hold out for one with the Nvidia 4090 series. They have very many more CUDA cores, etc. and I believe the price will be about the same as the 3090 is currently.

(As a fact, I may buy a 4090 myself and move my 3090 to another (faster) Z490 machine. - If I do, you may see my obituary as my wife will probably try to kill me…
:roll_eyes:

It’s a ROG Maximus XI Gene Z390

Thanks

I thought about waiting but the heat has me worried.
I like a silent PC. Cooling that beast would sound a jet engine!

Try chocolates to soften the blow :grinning:

These three things are relevant to mention here:

1. The new Nvidia 4090 will cost about the same as a 3090 does. It is more than twice as fast. Read this…
  2. Using a 10th gen Intel chipset (z490) and above, you have BAR compatibility which facilitates concurrent processing. It greatly speeds up rendering for games AND multiple rendering jobs. (Z590 has PCIe 4.0 directly to the CPU, which allows Nvidia 3090 and 4090 cards to do more work.
  3. If it’s quiet you want, this is the way to go. (Especially since Amazon is practically giving them away…) ‘Ambient’ liquid cooling is becoming obsolete. Intel/Peltier is here!

Amazon link: Cooler Master Sub-Zero
Intel Link: Overview of Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology

To be completely clear, I should add this to my comment above: I bought one of these, but haven’t had the chance to install it yet…

I have an ‘older’ rendering system using a Z490 Chipset and an i9-10100K. The 10-Core CPU can really scream, but cooling it is a challenge. It can radiate nearly 325 Watts of heat when cranked up. I’m hoping the Sub-Zero will handle the heat.

Haha, the Peltier! It’s an interesting idea, but the watts go crazy if you have any sort of heat to dissipate.
You’re whole suggested setup sounds like it could easily pull 1200 watts from the wall. Okay maybe not that much, but a lot.

Last I checked, if you went the AMD route (CPU and GPU), you’d get better speeds and pull half as many watts. That might all change if VEAI 3.0 has focused improvements for RTX 3000 series.

Anyway, don’t take my words as super true. I have not been keeping up with what the new Ryzen 7000 CPUs are supposed to be like, or even if they’re coming out with a new GPU line this year. I just know that the Ryzen 5000 series does more for less watts than Intel 10000 series, and people on this forum have said their GPUs are faster for VEAI.

1 Like

Yes, it may require going to a bigger PSU. I tend to oversize the PSUs in my builds, so I’m hoping that will be sufficient, but if it isn’t I’m prepared to buy a bigger one. FYI: The i9-11900K CPU in my Z590 is nowhere near as big of a heat problem as the i9-10900K in the Z490. Those ten cores will really perform, but even with a big ‘ambient’ liquid cooler, I need can’t OC it too much without overheating. (I am a bit conservative with my OC’ing, where temperature is concerned.

Thanks so much for the info.
You have given me alot to think about.

Perhaps I should wait. See how the new VEAI 3.0 turns out.

Any word on its release date?

VEAI 3.ax/bx shows great promise. The rendering control and output quality are excellent, VEAI 3.x will be a great improvement over VEAI 2, but they still have a lot of inconsistencies, bugs and glitches to shake out before they get to a release candidate.

So a few months yet, shame. Hope their deinterlacing improves. QTGMC is a pain in the neck to use without losing quality.

How long does it take for a 480 to 720 for a 25min vid cause for me it takes 2hr using proteus

On a ‘good’ video rendering machine, using Proteus cleaning up and resizing a 720p video to 1080p should run at a minimum of 8 fps or faster. - The length of the video is not as much a factor as the frame rate.

One routine that may speed things up is to create a ‘clean’ image at original size (100%) using Artemis (Normal). and output the file using a low CRF Factor to reduce image quality loss. You That should run very rapidly. This will give you a new cleaner image. Then you can take that image and run it through Proteus again to rescale, You will only need to set Proteus to do detail and sharpening as you rescale to 1080.

You should set the output back to a typical CRF setting if this is your final output, otherwise keep the number low to prevent ‘lossiness’ in the next editing processes.

FYI: Here’s some general info on the subject… CRF Guide Constant Rate Factor in x264, x265

Hope this helps.

In 3.ax/bx I found that Deinterlace using Dione:Robust. I had a horrible interlaced video to work on and robust cleaned it up very nicely.

One of the nice features of 3.x is that deinterlacing functionality can now be chained in before any enhancement scheme. This greatly reduces the need for making multiple passes of the same video through Topaz.

I suggest they’d do the same for thing for compression issues. (A ‘hint’ for any developer with the time to read this side discussion.) :grin:

no i said going from 480 to 720 i dont use artemis i dont like the weird look of it

Sorry, I misread your posting.

Here is a revised answer The capabilities of your machine have a lot to do with your throughput. The settings you make using Proetus or any enhancing methods can also have a big effect on the rendering speed. - On a modern system with a strong GPU and the latest drivers,

As an example, using VEAI running Proteus set on Auto, and resizing to 720p, my system renders a 720x404 @ 23.97fps video at a rate of about 24fps. In other words, it renders the video in (approximately) real time.

I have no idea what hardware you’re using or what your input video consists of, but the average system using Proteus to enhance and render out resized to 720p could take 2-3 times the actual running duration of the original video. - I lived with that kind of performance for a while, with my older machine which had become far too outdated. My current machine cost me around $6K to build, but it really moves along…

when i use reduce load topaz crashes even when using the lowest vram setting i gotta 3060 and my cpu is 3930k the temp maxes in the 70s
this only happens when i use a 720p vid going to 1080

when i use 480 to 720 and have reduce load on it doesnt crash
i was told that amd is better for topaz i seen the 6800 but the 3080 has more shaders i dont know which i should go with

Something is not right, Your i7 is getting a bit on the old side, but it should work. (I think)
What OS are you running? How much RAM? Are you water cooling?

Suggestions to try:

Have you tried running “SFC /Scannow” to make certain you don’t have any corrupt system files?

Download the latest Version of the Nvidia 3060 drivers from Nvidia Driver Download Page and do a Custom CLEAN install

Make certain your copy of VEAI preferences are set to use the 3060 GPU.

I have an older machine with an i7 of about that same vintage, but it also has an older Nvidia card on it. I never had any rendering problems on it other than it being awfully slow…

Sorry I can’t be more help…