RTX 3090 worth it?

I’m on win10 and using a d9dx cooler my driver was just updated earlier this week

I already gotta new cpu 12th gen and a cooler I just don’t have the board to install yet

Do you know if the 6800 is better for topaz vs a 3080

16gb and its set to gpu always i can even set it on the lowest vram setting and it still crashes with reduce load off

Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought the specs for VEAI said that it can only use 8-12GB of VRAM at a time. If this were so- the 24GB on the 3090Ti would be pointless.
Correct me if I am wrong on this- because I have also been looking at the 3090.
(Although one of the replies on here makes me wonder if I should just wait for the 40 series)

Do you know if the 3080 is best to go with or the 6800

At the moment current AMD Cards perform slightly better than Nvidia because of the higher FP16 Performance.

How much difference would you say

when i use reduce load topaz crashes even when using the lowest vram setting i gotta 3060 and my cpu is 3930k the temp maxes in the 70s
this only happens when i use a 720p vid going to 1080

when i use 480 to 720 and have reduce load on it doesnt crash do you know if this is cause my cpu is old

I have a 12th gen I’ll be upgrading to but I dont have the board yet so I’m wondering if I will have this problem with that chip to or not

AMD seems to perform about 10-15% better. I would try to reinstall your windows that might fix your problem, or wipe your drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and after that reinstalling your Graphics Drivers. I actually had a 12900k for a few months and VEAI was always crashing, even with different Windows Installations and different Drivers. It wasn’t crashing with reduced machine load activated but that slowed things down a fair bit. Don’t really know why that happened, it wasn’t these new E Cores on 12th Gen because I even disabled them for testing. Switched back to a 5950X and no Crashes :slight_smile:

1 Like

But wouldn’t a updated chip help you with different models thats a old chip you got like mine but newer

I’ll do that new win install and let you know if I still get those crashes would you say that topaz needs more updates to stop that crashing it can’t be a coincidence that it happens alot

I would like to use the reduce mode when its on it takes 2hr for a 25min ep going from 480 to 720 with a 3060

With the reduce on it takes 1hr and 30-20
Both modes used with proteus

I wonder if I still would get lower render times coming from my 3060 to the 6800

It should be faster with reduced machine load disabled. You should be a bit faster with the 6800 but changing your CPU would also be good.

Would you say it’s possible for me to have a hr or more cut off with the gpu upgrade

Probably not. I’m getting around 1 hour and 30mins for an 45min episode from 576p to 720p with chronos or 0.90 seconds per frame. I’m using an 5950X and RTX 3080 Ti. The 6800 and 3080 Ti have around the same FP16 Performance but your 3930k could slow you down a bit. My 3080ti is only 30% utilized.

But you said amd runs better wouldnt more updates to topaz make the cards run better

that time you told me is good cause that’s a longer vid then what I told you I work with

thats like the same time I told you that I get with shorter vid so shouldnt I be able to get shorter times if im working with shorter vids

AMD is not magically better. You have to compare these Cards on Techpowerup for example and compare the FP16 Performance.In the same performance/price class AMD always has the higher FP16 Performance, an 6800XT is faster than an 3090 Ti in this case and 6800 is as fast as an 3080 Ti, but when you are working with lower Resolutions your CPU is very important too and yeah Updates improve performance a bit but not that much tbh, at least so far. We would see big performance gains when the software can use the tensor cores on Nvidia GPUs.

You should really consider just Undervolting your whole system. Overclocking will not give you that huge gains for these Rendering Applications and that Peltier Cooler is Garbage for any Rendering Machine. It will put out lot of additional heat and cant sufficiently cool an 10900/11900k when overclocked, only for Gaming Loads. Locking your CPU at 4.8-4.9Ghz and lowering your Voltage is the best way here.

My reasons for OC’ing the CPU are not merely for use with Topaz. I do plan to undervolt the CPU/Chipset while in BIOS as I OC. But I will be doing it in gradual steps; it’s a time-consuming process… Adding the Peltier Effect will still be an immense help in this effort.

The first thing I must do however, is obtain a bigger PSU.

Also, I’m primarily interested in using the Sub-Zero cooler on a system with a 10 core i9-10900K which will not have a Nvidia GPU mounted on it for the time being.

The Main Problem with this Peltier Cooler is that you can only push your CPU to about 200W, if you want to go further you should invest in a big AIO or even better, a custom loop.

You mean that the plate consumes 200 Watts. I have never seen any documentation that suggests this gives the Cooler Master Sub-zero that limitation. If so, it would be practically useless…

BTW: Where ifyou get this information?

The Peltier Element consumes 200W yes and also has a cooling performance of 200W. There are multiple reports how bad that thing is for multithreaded workloads. For example. Cooling a Intel Core i9 to 0°C with a TEC AIO! - YouTube

I see so its better for me to get a monster 3080 cause of topaz in the future will have updates that will use the tensor

I do hear that right now is the best time to get a 3080. They’re trying to sell them all before the 4000 series comes out.

Yea I know all the cards will be going for cheaper when the 40s come