RTX 3080 VRAM issues after installing latest driver - VEAI

Because it’s a bug. One i wish would be fixed. Whatever you set the vram options to, it still happens.
And the Studio driver “solution” is just another kind of downgrading the driver to an older version. You can do that to an older GRD version and it slso “solves” the problem.

Otherwise we’ll find out if the studio drivers have the same issue (or VAEI with them) when they reach the 365 versions.

It isn’t just the drivers. I am running the latest Nvidia Gaming driver (462.59 as I type this) and VEAI 2.2 fails to load Artemis HQ and MQ instantly upon starting a preview or processing. Reinstalled version 2.1 (using the same v11 version of Artemin HQ) and it works perfectly.

The bug appears to be in the Topaz code.

1 Like

I am having this problem with RTX 3090 and I tried downgrading the display driver from 466.27 to studio driver 462.59 and the errors went away but the rate at which Topaz process was significantly reduced (from .5 second per frame to .65-.7 sec per frame converting 1080p to 1440p with Gaia HQ).

I’ve recently picked up a Vive Pro 2 as I use my RTX 3090 for things other than video editing and because DSC (Digital Stream Compression) requires 466.27 or newer I had to revert back to 466.27 and now the “low memory” bug has returned.

What is absolute nonsense is that I have both an RTX 3090 and 2080 Ti in my system and this low memory bug only affects the 3090. I directed both GPU’s to edit files overnight and of course the 3090 crashed within 30 minutes of going to sleep and my 2080 Ti is still going as I type this.

I will try reverting to AI 2.1 as collinstreavor25 suggests, yes I believe there is some problem with the software because I’ve been using Video Enhance AI and this is a new problem that cropped up within the past month or so and the two changes to the system were upgrading Video AI Enhance and the display drivers and I erroneously assumed it was the display driver.

Can we get some developer attention on this matter? This is unacceptable for $300 software.

Where do I get 2.1? It’s not available in the download section.

It’s on Nvidia side. It’s not because of the software.

Nonsense, I didn’t have this problem until updating from 2.1. to 2.2.

It depends on the resolution and GPU. I have both 3090 and 2080 Ti and yesterday they did like 16 hours of editing straight converting 720p to 1440p Gaia HQ and last night I had them convert 1080p to 1440p and the 3090 failed within 5 minutes, at which point I tried again, this time reducing the video memory load in the settings to medium (with 24GB VRAM on tap, no memory overclock, 3090 is under full water block with Memory Junction Temps of 50C max whilst video editing!) and waking up this morning to my PC and of course 3090 failed and 2080 Ti is still going. I don’t know what to conclude here, 2080 Ti has half the VRAM, how can this be an actual low memory error? I will try v2.1 as collinstrevor25 recommends. Additionally, I hope that Topaz reaches out to Nvidia about this issue, I cannot stay on a studio driver as I use my PC for things other than video editing. I just upgraded from Reverb G2 to Vive Pro 2 and Vive Pro 2 requires the latest DSC fixes in 466.27 to work so I’m forced to choose between video editing with the 3090 or actually using it for what it was designed for.

This is unacceptable for $300. If this problem persists I will seek a refund. I’ve already left a 1 star TrustPilot review and encourage others to do the same. This problem is ultimately about money. $300 is a ridiculous amount of money for software. For that price I expect the software to work flawlessly, not present ridiculous bugs. Additionally, I never had this bug on game ready drivers until updating to the latest version of VEAI so I believe collinstrevor25 is correct.

For $300 a pop, Topaz can certainly grease the wheels over at Nvidia to iron on the wrinkles with their game ready drivers OR Topaz can actually figure out why Ampere GPU’s are presenting this problem with their software (again, 2080 Ti is still editing along as I type this).

If you want to command a price premium for your software it better work perfectly. Right now your software is behaving like some share-ware and if the problem persists I will seek a refund.

You made a shoddy product, now do the right thing and address the problems, stop placing blame on Nvidia, it’s YOUR software that is the problem.

Topaz Labs Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.topazlabs.com (trustpilot.com)

I have now installed the latest Nvidia GRD (466.77) and VEAI 2.2.0 still fails instantly when trying to use Artemis HQ/MQ. Same driver and 2.1.1 works great.

So, there is STILL an issue between VEAI version 2.2.0 and whatever optimizations Nvidia added to support VEAI, at least on 30 series cards. However, version 2.1.1 works very well.

I had the same issue. Uninstalled VEAI and reinstalled it, and it worked great again. Had to do a clean install yourself. Not clean install checkmark when you install the new version of VEAI.

Solved my problem. Now running VEAI 2.2.0 with the 166.67 GRD driver. What made it work:

DDU any older drivers and install latest Nvidia GRD drivers.
Turn off GPU Scheduling (Settings>Display>Graphics Settings)
Install VEAI 2.2.0 to a new directory (ie. NOT the same directory that held 2.1.x)
Turn off “Reduce system load” in VEAI preferences
Turn on “Download Models” in VEAI Preferences

Now about 10 minutes into a 40 minute video, up scaling from 1080p to 2160p, and is running well.

The only people that piss about P/P are gamers, and well, gaming is only 20% of what the PC is capable of…

Nvidia is dropping support for Kepler and Win 7.

Q: Why is NVIDIA dropping support for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1?
A: Microsoft has officially ended support for Windows 7 and Windows 8, with Windows 8.1 nearing the end of its lifecycle as well. The vast majority of our GeForce customers have migrated to Windows 10 OS. In order to ensure GeForce owners experience the best possible security, support, and functionality, NVIDIA will now focus on Windows 10 operating system.

Q: Why is NVIDIA dropping support for Kepler desktop GPUs?
A: Kepler-based desktop GPUs initially launched in March of 2012. Since then, gaming technology has evolved dramatically with technologies like DirectX 12 Ultimate and NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling). Moving forward, NVIDIA’s software QA team will be focusing on hardware that supports newer technologies.

1 Like

Update:

The low memory bug problem is also present in VEAI 2.1, however, Gaia processes considerably faster in 2.1 vs 2.2 and to my eyes I see zero improvement in 2.2 (RTX 3090, 1080p to 1440p = .45 sec / frame with

RTX 3090, 1080p to 1440p, GaiaHQ 5
VEAI 2.1: ~ .45 sec / frame
VEAI 2.2: ~ .60 sec / frame (as slow as the 2080 Ti!)

Not sure what changed, I see zero difference in bit-rate, artifacts or compression and both versions are using GaiaHQ 5!

Also, good news, the DSC (Digital Stream Compression) in Studio Driver 462.59 works fine with the Vive Pro 2, so I don’t, as of this writing necessarily need to be on the latest game ready driver.

HOWEVER, I will want to update the display driver when DLSS is implemented in Read Dead Redemption 2.

If the studio drivers are the only drivers that can be used and both Topaz and Nvidia are aware of the low memory bug with the 30 series cards why are the Studio Drivers updated so infrequently?

Surely Topaz can send some of that $300 asking price for what feels like share-ware Nvidia’s way to spurn more frequent driver rollouts.

Still not happy with this product for this asking price and I do not recommend it and I will be producing a negative video review on my youtube account.

Topaz please get your act together, this is unacceptable, and all of these comments “you must be a kiddie gamer”, no dude, I do other things that solely edit video, I’m into VR, I have a DJI FPV drone I fly, I review products and enjoy good old fashioned gaming on my Samsung Odyssey G9.

This notion that one who picks up this video editing software is some kind of professional who doesn’t enjoy other activities with their PC hardware, I can easily turn this around on you and say that I actually use my PC for things other than video editing!

You mean 466.67? I usually use DDU and I have the same settings, the only thing youre doing different is installing VEAI to a different directory. Do you notice a speed difference with Gaia between 2.1 and 2.2 or am I experiencing placebo? Have you made it 2 days without a low memory error? Hopefully Nvidia and Topaz secretly worked things out behind the scenes, I will be updating my display driver to a Game Ready driver when DLSS is implemented in Red Dead Redemption 2.

I’ve got the same issue on my new G15 2021 laptop with RTX 3080 and 8GB of VRAM.

Sadly my acceleration was already off. Not sure if studio drivers would help.

Using Nvidia GRD v471.11 on VEAI Beta 2.3.0.0b
I’ve successfully gone through a few videos consisting of no less than 30K frames with no issues.
Both Artemis HQ and GaiaCG have completed their 3-5 hour runs outputting PNG sequences without a hitch.

Currently I’m doing a 400% GaiaCG scale of 960x540 > 3840x2160 PNG’s on a single instance.
VEAI is utilizing ~5.6GB of VRAM, ~30% utilization, with a speed of ~0.46/frame.

Running a dual instance I’m at ~12GB of VRAM, ~50% utilization, with a speed of ~0.49/frame.
This is interesting. I haven’t seen VEAI scale VRAM linearly before with multiple instances. The utilization is lower than expected as well. But the most surprising is that the speed per frame hasn’t been severely impacted.
This could be tied to the low source resolution or simplistic visuals in the video. But this is very close to a 2x performance increase compared to the original ~20% faster I originally got on older versions.

With a third instance VRAM goes up linearly to ~17GB. But utilization is jumping around 50-60% and speed has gone to 0.60/frame.
This doesn’t appear to be a writing bottleneck since I’ve tested writing each instance to separate drives.

In previous versions of VEAI the utilization report would increase linearly but the VRAM wouldn’t. Sometimes multiple instances didn’t appear to increase VRAM usage at all.
Now it seems to be the opposite but overall appears to be much better assuming you have a card with enough available VRAM.

40K frames so I’m going to let this run overnight. But with my recent results I’m not expecting to have any issues.

Yes but what is the point when there is a 471.11 Studio Driver? Or are you trying to see if Nvidia or Topaz have addressed the VRAM crashing issue?

I reverted to 2.1.1 a while ago trying to resolve the VRAM crashing problem and I noticed that with GaiaHQ the processing seemed faster so I stayed here. Are you saying that Beta 2.3 is 20% faster? Any quality difference (it’s still GaiaHQ v.5)? Thanks.

Yes the studio drivers resolve the crashing, Nvidia just released 471.11, you have no reason not to update to this studio driver.

Yeah basically.
Studio should be the same as Game Drivers but with a few more things for content creation applications so testing either would’ve worked fine.

I’ll go grab 2.1.1 and try that out for ya. Right now I have 2.2.0 alongside the beta. Might as well give them all a try why not.

Edit: Well for now 2.2.0 performs exactly the same. Might be the drivers that is really fixing everything cause it was no different than 2.3.0.

Edit 2: Dear god 2.1.1 runs like butt. 1.43/frame.